Which speakers where

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
I am setting up my first HT and on a bit of a budget.
I have an Marantz NR1604 7.1 AV available to me and a selection of second hand speakers (10 in total) to choose from.

Question is which should I use and for which possitions/channels.
Appreciate some advice as the sizes and number of cones per speaker is confusing, What is better for fronts, surounds, surround rears etc.
#From StereoSpeaker TypeSpeaker modelWattsOhmsTested7.1 UseSpeaker FormatSub WooferWooferTweeterHWD
1​
MHC-GN880FrontSS-GN880
180​
6​
YesLeft3-way bass-reflex type20 cm, cone8cm, cone2.5 cm, horn430265320
2​
MHC-GN880FrontSS-GN880
180​
6​
YesRight3-way bass-reflex type20 cm, cone8cm, cone2.5 cm, horn430265320
3​
MHC-RG495CentreSS-RG495A
95​
6​
Centre3-way bass-reflex type13 cm, cone13 cm, cone5 cm, horn360220235
4​
MHC-GNX800FrontSS-GNX800
180​
6​
YesSurround L2-way, bass-reflex type20 cm, cone2.5 cm, horn417281310
5​
MHC-GNX800FrontSS-GNX800
180​
6​
YesSurround R2-way, bass-reflex type20 cm, cone2.5 cm, horn417281310
6​
MHC-GNX800SurroundSS-RSX800
180​
24​
Surround Back L2-way, bass-reflex type10cm, cone5 cm, horn362176215
7​
180​
24​
Surround Back R2-way, bass-reflex type10cm, cone5 cm, horn362176215
7.1​
SubwooferSA-WM40
100​
SubWoofer100W powered Subwoofer30cm, cone425360430
8​
MHC-GN880SurroundSS-RS880
180​
24​
Spare2-way, bass-reflex type13 cm, cone2.5 cm, horn430201229
9​
180​
24​

This is my first guess at a layout. But was not sure which speakers to use for the Surround Rear speakers, hence the SRL/SRR and Alt-SRL/Alt-SRR.
1589034613185.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Look, I hate to sound like some kind of audio snob, but those speakers look just terrible. They look like they came from cheap stereo shelf systems. Outside of sound quality issues, the problem with that is they could have some very wonky impedance loads that were specifically intended for their 'head unit' and not a general AV receiver like the Marantz. I get that you are on a budget, but if I were you I would throw them away and get some real speakers. Two good speakers will give you a better sound than ten bad ones.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
What is the top of your budget? Those speakers are not going to do your receiver or your ears any favors. There are many here who can suggest quality speakers that will not break the bank.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you must use these speakers, use the largest cones as mains/fronts, the next biggest as surrounds, the next rear surrounds......do the speakers have sensitivity specified? I would say I'm agreeing with the others, though in that I'd look for better speakers....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd start with 2 or 3 good speakers up front and add on as budget allows instead of buying 7 crappy ones all at once.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
If you must use these speakers, use the largest cones as mains/fronts, the next biggest as surrounds, the next rear surrounds......do the speakers have sensitivity specified? I would say I'm agreeing with the others, though in that I'd look for better speakers....
Thank you all for your comments but I need to spend my money on getting the house completed first. When the time comes I will come back for advice on buying better speakers and may even upgrade the receiver.
For now I am stuck with the junk I have that cost about US$200 all up. But my wife is happy she has a new horse cover for the winter.

Thanks the advice on cone sizes helps. I have tried to do this. Not sure about the rear surrounds and am concerned the side surrounds only have 20cm/2.5cm with nothing in between.
No I don’t have sensitivity values as they are just speakers robbed from Sony component systems. All the values I have are in the table above and Watts was RMS values.

The AV only has 50w/channel so nothing is matched very well. I am going to try getting my distances even and attempt to balance the system with the dB adjust on each channel. Trying to avoid using the delay function if possible. Would getting the audesy mic the system uses help or should I use the dB meter I have one channel at a time?

Which of the pairs of speakers I have for rear surrounds would be best?
Unfortunately I have 6ohm for front, center, surround but then am left with 24 ohm for rear surrounds. AV has 4-16ohm all channels.

I realise I am asking a blasphemy question to audiophiles and appreciate any advice even if it is telling me a better place to ask.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
Look, I hate to sound like some kind of audio snob, but those speakers look just terrible. They look like they came from cheap stereo shelf systems. Outside of sound quality issues, the problem with that is they could have some very wonky impedance loads that were specifically intended for their 'head unit' and not a general AV receiver like the Marantz. I get that you are on a budget, but if I were you I would throw them away and get some real speakers. Two good speakers will give you a better sound than ten bad ones.
Thanks, I have no money till house is complete so trying to get the best of a bad situation. I intend to buy better gear but that will be later.

Can you explain wonky impedance loads? The speaker impedance is in table. I have 6ohm for front, center and side surround but stuck with 24ohm rear surround. AV is 4-16ohm per channel. Is it at all possible to balance the impedence using dB adjust on channels?
Could I parallel both sets of rears to increase impedence to 12ohm.

Yes I know it is a rubbish situation but I was hoping you could advise on how to make the crap gear I have tolerable for a while.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey man. Don’t worry about committing any audio sins or anything like that. Everybody had a first/worst system. You are at least asking questions. So there’s you are now an audiophile!!! Hell, here’s basically my first center channel speaker...

It’s an 80’s pod type car audio speaker. Yep, it was horrible I’m sure, but I was making it happen.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
Hey man. Don’t worry about committing any audio sins or anything like that. Everybody had a first/worst system. You are at least asking questions. So there’s you are now an audiophile!!! Hell, here’s basically my first center channel speaker...

It’s an 80’s pod type car audio speaker. Yep, it was horrible I’m sure, but I was making it happen.
Thanks for your support, yes I have to start somewhere.
I have tried to pick the best speakers for fronts being 3way and a range of cone sizes 20/8/2.5cm. A center speaker for voice 13/13/5cm and sides 20/2.5cm all with 6ohm impedence. Is using the 24ohm speakers I have left for rears even going to be audible?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for your support, yes I have to start somewhere.
I have tried to pick the best speakers for fronts being 3way and a range of cone sizes 20/8/2.5cm. A center speaker for voice 13/13/5cm and sides 20/2.5cm all with 6ohm impedence. Is using the 24ohm speakers I have left for rears even going to be audible?
I’m sure it will be fine as there’s not an overwhelming demand on the rear surrounds. I’m not minimizing their role, or whether or not one should use them either.(I personally do)
FWIW, IMO a solid 5.1 would be a priority we’ll before worrying about 7. I think @Pogre mentioned a solid LR or LCR first which is also good advice. However, if you already have some to choose from, pick the best of what you have and upgrade the fronts when you can. Then, when funds allow, you can upgrade the front again, and move the “old upgrades” to the back/sides.

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
While agree with the others, I know your plight lol. You do what you can with what you have, especially with a new house and a wife lol. Wait till you throw a few kids in that mix if you don't have them already.

If that is what you have, go with it I guess. What you listed should probably work out ok. You said you had 10 speakers to choose from correct. I would choose the the 5 that match each other the best in tweeters and ohms. You don't need all 10 speakers. Honestly you could get rid of the center channel too and the receiver should mix it into the mains for you if you set it up correctly. I would go with all the 6 ohm speakers personally.

Will it sound as good as a more expensive set up? Probably not ( pretty sure it won't lol). Will it sound good to you? Maybe, depends on what you are used to and what you like. Sound is pretty subjective. I bet it sounds as good as some of those Bose systems I have seen for 10 times the money. Those are pretty bad and lots of people are really happy with them.

I do agree with the others though, I would look at getting a better set of stereo speakers. look at around for used stuff, you can find some good deals. Most anything with a brand name would be better, even some old KLH's or something. When things get back to normal hit up some pawn shops and flea markets and stuff and see what you can find. Two speakers set up properly and aimed right can sound about as good as a 5.1 set up as long you are in the sweet spot. And you won't have speakers and wires all over the place and that might make the wife happeir lol. And some speakers look pretty nice. Find some nice used towers and she can put some plants or something on them.

Best advice I can give you is play with it and see what happens. Make sure the polarity on all the speakers is correct. + from the amp is in the + for the speaker and so on. If the amp cuts out and shuts off stop using them. That means the amp can't drive them. Try less speakers or get different ones.

Good luck and have fun.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am setting up my first HT and on a bit of a budget.
I have an Marantz NR1604 7.1 AV available to me and a selection of second hand speakers (10 in total) to choose from.

Question is which should I use and for which possitions/channels.
Appreciate some advice as the sizes and number of cones per speaker is confusing, What is better for fronts, surounds, surround rears etc.
#From StereoSpeaker TypeSpeaker modelWattsOhmsTested7.1 UseSpeaker FormatSub WooferWooferTweeterHWD
1​
MHC-GN880FrontSS-GN880
180​
6​
YesLeft3-way bass-reflex type20 cm, cone8cm, cone2.5 cm, horn430265320
2​
MHC-GN880FrontSS-GN880
180​
6​
YesRight3-way bass-reflex type20 cm, cone8cm, cone2.5 cm, horn430265320
3​
MHC-RG495CentreSS-RG495A
95​
6​
Centre3-way bass-reflex type13 cm, cone13 cm, cone5 cm, horn360220235
4​
MHC-GNX800FrontSS-GNX800
180​
6​
YesSurround L2-way, bass-reflex type20 cm, cone2.5 cm, horn417281310
5​
MHC-GNX800FrontSS-GNX800
180​
6​
YesSurround R2-way, bass-reflex type20 cm, cone2.5 cm, horn417281310
6​
180​
24​
Surround Back L2-way, bass-reflex type10cm, cone5 cm, horn362176215
7​
180​
24​
Surround Back R2-way, bass-reflex type10cm, cone5 cm, horn362176215
7.1​
SubwooferSA-WM40
100​
SubWoofer100W powered Subwoofer30cm, cone425360430
8​
180​
24​
9​
180​
24​

This is my first guess at a layout. But was not sure which speakers to use for the Surround Rear speakers, hence the SRL/SRR and Alt-SRL/Alt-SRR.
View attachment 36054
Man I totally get it you are where I started from

I seriously doubght those speakers will tax that av reciever. I've pulled off setups like that in my starting off days no issues and it did sound better then the TV

Your plan of bigger speakers in fronts and then adjusting down in size will work

Do you have a subwoofer any will do polk sells a cheap 10 inch one for under a 100 bucks on Amazon or they used too.

It'll be worth it to add it onto your budget if you don't any sub will help take the low end strain off the main speakers which will help them and your avr greatly

Hit us up with how it turns out and also hit us up when your ready to setup the real system down the road

Good luck!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

You big baller you!

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
Ok I now have another set of speakers to use and am ditching that jumbled selection.

Now I have a pair of Wharfedale Valdus fronts and five Wharfedale RS-10 satellites plus centre and a cheap SA-WM40 powered subwoofer.

So now the questions are is my room big enough for 7.1 and how do I get around the problem of a large bi-fold door on one wall limiting speaker placement? I intend to hang the RS10s on the walls.

Room is 4.8*4.6m.
D5F1B5D8-A3FD-45BC-8E29-6763CA27BD3D.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok I now have another set of speakers to use and am ditching that jumbled selection.

Now I have a pair of Wharfedale Valdus fronts and five Wharfedale RS-10 satellites plus centre and a cheap SA-WM40 powered subwoofer.

So now the questions are is my room big enough for 7.1 and how do I get around the problem of a large bi-fold door on one wall limiting speaker placement? I intend to hang the RS10s on the walls.

Room is 4.8*4.6m.
View attachment 36504
The Wharfedale speakers should be considerably better than the plastic desktop speakers.

Can you illustrate your intended speaker placement within your diagram? Looks to me like best placement of the system would be along the right side wall.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
The Wharfedale speakers should be considerably better than the plastic desktop speakers.

Can you illustrate your intended speaker placement within your diagram? Looks to me like best placement of the system would be along the right side wall.
Thanks for your reply.

My current thinking of layouit is this.
And I may put a projector on the back wall with a pull doewn screen in fron of LCD at some stage.
1590706872520.png

The surrounds and centre are...
1590706990939.png

and the fronts are...
1590707070248.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It looks to me from your diagram that it might make a little more sense to have the direction of the system be reversed so that you are facing the opposite direction. The reason is that it looks like the door would hit the speaker if it was open. Would that be a problem?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis