Which speakers where

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
It looks to me from your diagram that it might make a little more sense to have the direction of the system be reversed so that you are facing the opposite direction. The reason is that it looks like the door would hit the speaker if it was open. Would that be a problem?
That wall is about 3.4m long and the door will take about 600mm off this measurement.
I can probably fit the TV and speakers in the remaining 2.8m but it will mean my viewing centre is offset from centre of the room so I will need to adjust my speaker distances in the AV settings.

I would prefer to have the room the way I have pictured rather than the sofa near the door.
I am concerned though about how to position the SL speaker though as wall hung and have no stand for it to sit on floor without it being at knee height.

The wall either side of the bifold door is ~1m-1.1m.

Would it be a bad idea to have the rear and surrounds bothe behind the seating possition so I can wall mount them to avoid the door?
Edited layout with off-centre viewing and surrounds moved back.
1590712288174.png

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You could just stick with a 5.1 system instead of going for a 7.1 system. A 5.1 system with good speaker placement would be better than a 7.1 system with poor speaker placement. You are not missing much by foregoing those extra surround channels. In fact you would be reserving a bit of extra amp power for the other channels. Don't kill yourself trying to make a 7 channel system fit in your room, not worth it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could just stick with a 5.1 system instead of going for a 7.1 system. A 5.1 system with good speaker placement would be better than a 7.1 system with poor speaker placement. You are not missing much by foregoing those extra surround channels. In fact you would be reserving a bit of extra amp power for the other channels. Don't kill yourself trying to make a 7 channel system fit in your room, not worth it.
Readin' my mind Shady! I totally agree.

If it won't work, it won't work. Your room isn't so large that I think 7.1 would even be necessary. Properly set up 5.1 can sound just as good, or like Shady said, even better than poorly placed 7.1.

*Edit: Looks like you got some pretty decent l/r speakers now! When I commented on the first page I didn't realize you were working with what you already had. I thought you were in the shopping phase still, oops.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
Readin' my mind Shady! I totally agree.

If it won't work, it won't work. Your room isn't so large that I think 7.1 would even be necessary. Properly set up 5.1 can sound just as good, or like Shady said, even better than poorly placed 7.1.

*Edit: Looks like you got some pretty decent l/r speakers now! When I commented on the first page I didn't realize you were working with what you already had. I thought you were in the shopping phase still, oops.
Thanks Pogre

I splashed out a whole $20 on somebodies s/h valdus speakers getting them cheap because the foam is all gone so I will have a go at putting new foams on. joys of 20yr old speakers

The surrounds cost about $70 for the set of 5 and in pretty tidy condition.

I will go the 5.1 route for now and may use the other 2 channels for an outside zone above the deck nd bbq.

Next I will need to figure out how to set my x-overs between the l/r surround and s/w on my NR1604 AV. Advice welcome ;)

Think these speakers are a much better budget setup and match for my needs and AV unit.

Target74

Target74

Audiophyte
Given the specs of....
L/R freq 40Hz-20kHz & 92dB sens
Surrounds freq 85Hz-24kHz & 87dB sens
S/W freq 20-200Hz
How does one set the x-over levels.
0E4C139B-73B7-4577-BEBD-E3FB9072D2A1.png

8A95441D-DE9A-4DE1-937B-A2657888120D.png

Last edited:

Latest posts