Which of these two HDMI cables would you choose and why?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yes, it is all quite logical getting the cable the right way round. At the source the digital electrical impulses have to be converted to photon light pulses. At the receiving end those photon light pulses have to be converted back to electrical digital pulses. So the arrows go away from the sending unit and point towards the receiving unit.
Logic, Logic, Logic my boy!
I've heard that before... yet we hoo-mans have a strange propensity for breaking logic in a manner that defies all... logik.
:)
(Oh, and saying the end the voltage inserter goes on doesn't matter, well that partially breaks my brain. *blushes And it would REALLY suck to blow up my new computer! :oops: )

Thank you, Doc!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I've heard that before... yet we hoo-mans have a strange propensity for breaking logic in a manner that defies all... logik.
:)
(Oh, and saying the end the voltage inserter goes on doesn't matter, well that partially breaks my brain. *blushes And it would REALLY suck to blow up my new computer! :oops: )

Thank you, Doc!
Oh dear. American education again!

5V is on pin 18. At least when I went to school, no matter where you applied voltage to a conductor, the voltage was the same throughout, unless you drew a huge amount of current and the voltage dropped a little related to the resistance of the cable. However that is not an issue between pin 18 at either end of an HDMI cable. So it will not blow your computer. If the voltage on pin 18 of your computer is 5 volts, which it will be, then no power will flow back into your computer to do any damage. Go to bed early and rest that broken brain of yours.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

5V is on pin 18. At least when I went to school, no matter where you applied voltage to a conductor, the voltage was the same throughout, unless you drew a huge amount of current and the voltage dropped a little related to the resistance of the cable. However that is not an issue between pin 18 at either end of an HDMI cable. So it will not blow your computer. If the voltage on pin 18 of your computer is 5 volts, which it will be, then no power will flow back into your computer to do any damage. Go to bed early and rest that broken brain of yours.
I will never defend American education. Especially while the Texas Board of Education is seemingly in charge of almost every textbook that makes it into the curriculum across the US! :oops:

Regardless, I never learned electricity beyond my Sophomore Physics class. That was just me. (To be fair, there are many others... :rolleyes: ) (Though also to be fair, I have recently learned how to build XO curcuits from a schematic and am able to successfully install lighting. So all is not lost. Next up will be some rudimentary plumbing that does not involve PVC and Glue. :D )
Anyway, one of my friends went on to be a nuclear engineer on an Aircraft Carrier after graduating Annapolis... so there's that, too. ;) We had the same High School Physics teacher. :eek:
On the other hand, I could strip and rebuild my Saxophones where all the other kids were rebuilding carburetors. *shrugs

Now, as it regards HDMI cables... I'm pretty certain it all revolves around sorcery. Merlin is our only hope! Merlin or Gandalf. *shrugs
I'll take either, perhaps, though Gandalf might be way more cool. :D That sword, and Shadowfax!

Really, though... Thank you, Mark! :)

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
Ruipro should be including a voltage inserter as that is what HDMI.org wants all mfrs of hybrid fiber cables to do. All of my Ruipro hybrid fiber cables came with voltage inserters. At this point in time, they are only included as a "just in case". If you don't need them, don't use them. The voltage inserters will probably become more important as HDMI Power comes into play.

Most voltage inserters are used at the source end to ensure that there is plenty of current to carry the signal without errors to the display. They can also be used at the sink side. The initial idea behind them was that there were too many consumer devices that didn't exactly follow the 5v/50mA minimum requirement for HDMI and the fluctuation in the current output was sometimes too much for cable's and/or sink chipsets to handle correctly. They are not a 100% guarantee but they have worked well for some.

Thread Surrection! I love it ;).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Ruipro should be including a voltage inserter as that is what HDMI.org wants all mfrs of hybrid fiber cables to do. All of my Ruipro hybrid fiber cables came with voltage inserters. At this point in time, they are only included as a "just in case". If you don't need them, don't use them. The voltage inserters will probably become more important as HDMI Power comes into play.

Most voltage inserters are used at the source end to ensure that there is plenty of current to carry the signal without errors to the display. They can also be used at the sink side. The initial idea behind them was that there were too many consumer devices that didn't exactly follow the 5v/50mA minimum requirement for HDMI and the fluctuation in the current output was sometimes too much for cable's and/or sink chipsets to handle correctly. They are not a 100% guarantee but they have worked well for some.

Thread Surrection! I love it ;).
It won't matter which end the voltage inserter goes. I'm sure the load from the converters at each end is going to be close, if not, identical. So it will make no difference which way the current heads from one converter to the other.

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
It won't matter which end the voltage inserter goes. I'm sure the load from the converters at each end is going to be close, if not, identical. So it will make no difference which way the current heads from one converter to the other.
Technically you are correct, but most folks use the source end to make sure there is adequate current reaching the sink end but yeah, it shouldn't make a difference. I've tried both and saw no difference.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

The real problem with directional cables is that A) the one installing it needs to read the labels and they need to stop deciding that they know enough to not believe the labels. I installed some TVs at a country club and someone laid the Munster HDMI cables with the TV end at the satellite box location. That wasted at least $200, but the manager was relived when I told him that DirecTV has boxes and remotes that use RF and a mount is available for putting the box on the rear of the TV.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Ruipro with Voltage Inserter is in place and works great. :) The Mac doesn't want to transmit more than 6 channels, so that is less great and I'm working on that.

Regarding the Ruipro USB Voltage Inserter:
I always wondered what use I may have for all those old school Apple Charging Blocks
1694283899224.png

that used to come with every iPhone and iPod... And now I know! :D They are meant to deliver 5v out via USB-A. :D

Otto Pylot

Otto Pylot

Junior Audioholic
The Ruipro with Voltage Inserter is in place and works great. :) The Mac doesn't want to transmit more than 6 channels, so that is less great and I'm working on that.

Regarding the Ruipro USB Voltage Inserter:
I always wondered what use I may have for all those old school Apple Charging Blocks
View attachment 63308
that used to come with every iPhone and iPod... And now I know! :D They are meant to deliver 5v out via USB-A. :D
Yep. When I was testing the voltage inserters I had a bunch of those and the adapters for Kindle Paperwhites as well. They all work. I even purchased a couple of 1' USB extension cables to reach around to the front of my receiver so that I could connect the voltage inserter for power. That worked as well. 5V/1A is all you need.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
All I know is I have Vanco HDMI Certified, 18Gbps and Monoprice HDMI Certified, 48Gbps Cables right now. I do prefer the Vanco with its SecureFit connectors with 7lb pull test.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis