Which brand makes the best quality loudspeakers?

Who makes the best speakers

• Aperion Audio

Votes: 22 3.1%
  • Axiom Audio

Votes: 18 2.6%
  • B&W

Votes: 154 22.0%
  • Harman (JBL, Infinity, Revel)

Votes: 156 22.3%
  • Klipsch

Votes: 106 15.1%
  • Martin Logan

Votes: 59 8.4%
  • Paradigm

Votes: 79 11.3%
  • Polk

Votes: 40 5.7%
  • PSB

Votes: 24 3.4%
  • RBH Sound

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Would be interesting to get feedback from owners after 12 years. Like the car ads that say 97% over the last 12 years are still on the road. Well past most warranties. Especially for any powered speaker. I am in the process of repairing one of the amps on my towers. Do you still have your speakers 12 years later? How do they sound? Any issues?
I think I owned the Revel Salon2 around the time I voted for Revel/Harman. Then I sold them. :D

Gene recently owned some Revel. Then he replaced them with some RBH.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Would be interesting to get feedback from owners after 12 years. Like the car ads that say 97% over the last 12 years are still on the road. Well past most warranties. Especially for any powered speaker. I am in the process of repairing one of the amps on my towers. Do you still have your speakers 12 years later? How do they sound? Any issues?
I still have all my speakers, including JBLs. My 15" Studio Standard Fishers (Sanyo) from the early '80s, I refoamed and gave to my son and he has them at work now. I have JBLs ranging from around 1999-2018. My earliest DIY speakers, the F-12 Tempests, have been my mains since 2017 and I will do good to add any appreciable wear to them in what remains of the rest of my life, and I listen to those on avg around 5hrs/day.

I also have a set of JBL monitors I got from @William Lemmerhirt here on AH, that were still like new when I got them and he must have had them for some time as well. With care, decent speakers should last decades, provided you buy enough headroom and aren't running them near their limits all the time.

I'm more skeptical of the modern penchant for implementing smaller stand mount/shelf speakers for full range/whole room usage. Many of those smaller types that friends have, get a regular beating and it's pretty obvious that they needed bigger speakers. I don't want theirs, or those, when they make it to the auction block, but the overkill designs I definitely have much more confidence in.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
I think I owned the Revel Salon2 around the time I voted for Revel/Harman. Then I sold them. :D

Gene recently owned some Revel. Then he replaced them with some RBH.
My Studio2's are now 6 years old, the 'honeymoon' continues. Prior I had owned planers and stats since 1985, Dahlquist DQ-10's before that

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
My Studio2's are now 6 years old, the 'honeymoon' continues. Prior I had owned planers and stats since 1985, Dahlquist DQ-10's before that
The major brands with good speaker measurements are a safe bet. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. Thats why Im a big fan of PSB. It appears not many people in the US know them.
There are just too many brands. If there were only a few brands, perhaps more people would own them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. Thats why Im a big fan of PSB. It appears not many people in the US know them.
Not so. I've got a pair of Image 4T and a pair of Image 1B that I'd helped my daughter's boyfriend buy three years ago. Unfortunately, he passed away a year ago at age 36 (pulmonary embolism) and now I have to help her sell them. They sound GREAT!

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
Not so. I've got a pair of Image 4T and a pair of Image 1B that I'd helped my daughter's boyfriend buy three years ago. Unfortunately, he passed away a year ago at age 36 (pulmonary embolism) and now I have to help her sell them. They sound GREAT!
OMG sorry to hear RIP

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm very sorry to hear about that. That's way to young for anyone to pass away.

J

Jambarino

Enthusiast
Certainly! It's important to note that opinions on audio equipment can vary based on personal preferences and experiences. That being said, considering both sound quality and build durability, I find that Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) consistently stands out in the consumer audio loudspeaker market. B&W has a reputation for delivering a superb balance between clarity, accuracy, and richness in sound across their product line.
The build quality of B&W speakers is often regarded as exceptional, featuring premium materials and meticulous craftsmanship. The attention to detail and durability in construction contribute to a lasting and reliable audio experience.
While other brands on the list may excel in certain aspects, the overall combination of sound quality and build excellence has led me to lean towards Bowers & Wilkins as a top choice in consumer audio loudspeakers. Of course, personal listening preferences may influence individual choices, so it's advisable to audition speakers and consider personal tastes when making a final decision.
Great advertisement

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Certainly! It's important to note that opinions on audio equipment can vary based on personal preferences and experiences. That being said, considering both sound quality and build durability, I find that Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) consistently stands out in the consumer audio loudspeaker market. B&W has a reputation for delivering a superb balance between clarity, accuracy, and richness in sound across their product line.
The build quality of B&W speakers is often regarded as exceptional, featuring premium materials and meticulous craftsmanship. The attention to detail and durability in construction contribute to a lasting and reliable audio experience.
While other brands on the list may excel in certain aspects, the overall combination of sound quality and build excellence has led me to lean towards Bowers & Wilkins as a top choice in consumer audio loudspeakers. Of course, personal listening preferences may influence individual choices, so it's advisable to audition speakers and consider personal tastes when making a final decision.
Other than early 800 series and the current 800d series, consistency has been shoty at best. I get this is their bargain speaker, but at $800+ a pair this is a mess.
Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary Edition Frequency Response Measurement.png

All of their speakers seem to present a difficult load and require stout amplification to drive them to reference levels. Also the bat wing curve isn't desirable to most ears.

Bowers & Wilkins 607 S2 Anniversary phase and impedance measurements.png

I'm not knocking your preference, just pointing out their shortcomings

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Other than early 800 series and the current 800d series, consistency has been shoty at best. I get this is their bargain speaker, but at $800+ a pair this is a mess.
View attachment 64159
All of their speakers seem to present a difficult load and require stout amplification to drive them to reference levels. Also the bat wing curve isn't desirable to most ears.

View attachment 64160

I'm not knocking your preference, just pointing out their shortcomings
are graphs shown listening room or anechoic ?

B

beakergeek

Audioholic Intern
I have a pair of RBH 61 se/r that I have owned since new in 2008. I also have an RBH 661 se/r owned for same amount of time. I have never had an issue with any of these speakers and they still sound great! I have not noticed a change in sound quality. Always kept in a climate controlled room and given clean powerful amplification, so that likely helps.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Senior Audioholic
With no new posts in a couple of months it looks like the Harman brands win a 13 year vote by a nose over B&W.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
With no new posts in a couple of months it looks like the Harman brands win a 13 year vote by a nose over B&W.
There are no winners. No losers. Which company makes the best speakers is an entirely subjective analysis because all that matters is that you like what year ears & brain tell you is good in your own space. Your best speakers aren't my preferred speakers. That "poll" was off because it didn't include at least another 1/2 dozen very popular, good-selling speaker brands.

E

ed george

Audiophyte
We'd like to get your opinion on who you feel makes the best built and best sounding loudspeakers in consumer audio. Your opinion should be based primarily on sound quality followed by build quality and durability. This choice should be based on the overall product line of a particular company and not just one or two products that may excel.

If you find a particular brand on this list lacking, please indicate why.

Give us reasons why you chose a particular brand or why you feel that particular brand shines above the others on this list. If your brand isn't listed here (sorry only 10 polling options allowed), please post the brand name in the thread along with your experiences.
I like Klipsch - I have a 5.1 system plus 12" 400W sub. sounds good. Could not afford the impressive looking & sounding corner horns. 2nd choice would be La Scala. They don't need to be in a corner. First heard them 60 years ago. They are VERY expensive, even on ebay.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis