Where do you find new music?

SopRage

SopRage

Audioholic
I'm working my way through the "Rolling Stone 500 Greatest Albums of All Time."

It's not "new" music by any means, but I've found a lot of great stuff I never would have listened to otherwise.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
When you're at work, I break into your house and go through your collection.

A

A resident

Audiophyte
I have found in all my music searching, the best way is through other people! Forums can be a great place. Sometimes if I just crave a type of music, I look up an artist I like on a site like AllMusic and see artists that are similar to them and just listen to everything I can find.

J

Jaferitis

Enthusiast
I listen to mostly hip hop, so a lot of it can be found via blogs. I use 2dopeboyz.com

B

BWG707

Audioholic
I usually hear about different titles on forums or sometimes look thru some Amazon's listomania's. After I hear about a title I'm interested in I then find a website where I can sample some of it and then make my decision whether I think it might be worth purchasing. I usually make the right decision about 65% of the times.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
jp_over

jp_over

Full Audioholic
A variety of places... Internet radio like Pandora, friends, Amazon recommendations, threads such as "what are you listening to now", etc...

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
New music seems to somehow ooze in...always looking..random Youtube wanderings, Allmusic, various "what are you listening to now" threads on various forums. Some of my favorites have come in my local music store, just seeing something at random and trying it. The intuition often seems to work.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
I find new music via suggestions from friends, other musicians, other members here, Rolling Stone magazine reviews, equipment reviews when a reviewer says "this is a reference disc of mine..." I often will try to find it on Amazon and listen to the track samples if available, and if it's something I think I might like, I'll buy it.

robmlisanti

robmlisanti

Audioholic
I research all over the internet, mostly forums of certain genre of music
for example: Progressive music I will go here: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/index.php read reviews then check out the bands Myspace site or whatever site they have up, then maybe if their music is on Amazon I'll check out the samples. I do this with most genre's of music.:cool:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I research all over the internet, mostly forums of certain genre of music
for example: Progressive music I will go here: http://www.seaoftranquility.org/index.php read reviews then check out the bands Myspace site or whatever site they have up, then maybe if their music is on Amazon I'll check out the samples. I do this with most genre's of music.:cool:
Progressive music.

More progress.

Summation.

In these recordings you will find the foundation of all western music, from the greatest composer of the last millenium. Now that's progressive music.

modfurn

Audiophyte
Simple enough - how do you find out about new music? Is it a website? A magazine? TV? XM? FM? Do you actually go into a record store (remember those?) and flip through the discs?
I usually find new music in radio and tv.
I like the most those disco music, .
Everytime i hear that i feel like dancing.
I don't do that anymore, going to record store, i go for surfing the net my favorite music.

M

Majloo

Audiophyte
Youtube ;)

Just browsing internet labels on youtube, then following links to buy tracks.

S

SongJohn

Audioholic Intern
You find new music by poking around. I was at a thrift shop one day and found a cassette called "the changer and the changed" 1975. It was awesome!

The other day found a record called "hurtwood edge" 1972. Excellent music! Just poke around......

L

laserlife

Audiophyte
bandcamp, last.fm and spotify are pretty awesome ways of finding new music!
grooveshark is pretty cool too!

P

Pupp

Audioholic Intern
Rhapsody! and Rolling Stones magazine

I use Rhapsody (been a subscriber for 5+ years), and Rolling Stones. I'm not renewing Rolling Stones though.... my subscription runs out in November.

Mainly not renewing because it caters to a younger audience.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis