What's the saddest song you've ever heard?

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Hi guys,
This is the thread that people post the saddest song they've ever heard. Mine is the Jurassic Park theme, for some odd reason. It's just so beautiful. That was recorded on reel to reel tape, surprising for 1991-1992.
Thanks,
Ryan

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I can think of a few.

The forte sections of Tristesse by Chopin are pretty emotional. Tristesse is the French word for sadness.

But that chart is not nearly as depressing as Chopin's Prelude in E Minor:

Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber, the choral arrangement is another contender, especially if you've ever watched Platoon.

John Williams has a few more worthy candidates than the Jurassic Park theme. Consider "Cadillac of the Skies" from Empire of the Sun.

And of course, the theme from Schindler's List is guaranteed to put you in a pensive state of thorough melancholy:

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Tear jerkers for sure!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oops! Forgot these:

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Easy, anything and everything from Tracy Chapman. Play her songs for a perfect evening of lonely depression. No don't. Instead play Joan Armatrading, sad but not depressingly sad. "It Could Have Been Better" is her biggest hit. Listen to it and tell me what you think.

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
Hi guys,
This is the thread that people post the saddest song they've ever heard. Mine is the Jurassic Park theme, for some odd reason. It's just so beautiful.
Thanks,
Ryan
Ryan,

If I understand correctly, I think you are referring to songs which elicit a strong emotional response, songs that are cathartic in nature as opposed to just "sad". I'm only saying this because the Jurassic Park theme, for me, moves from sadness to a sense of joy as the theme concludes. If I'm wrong, please ignore this post. If I'm correct, you may want to listen to this short movement from Will Todd's "Ode to a Nightingale" (a musical setting of John Keats' poem by the same name). Start at 1:55 and listen for 2 minutes. This doesn't make me sad, but it does often reduce me to tears.

I love music like this, music that takes you for an emotional journey and cleanses the soul. The entire work is around 35 minutes in length and takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions.......worth at least a 2 minute listen.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Ryan,

If I understand correctly, I think you are referring to songs which elicit a strong emotional response, songs that are cathartic in nature as opposed to just "sad". I'm only saying this because the Jurassic Park theme, for me, moves from sadness to a sense of joy as the theme concludes. If I'm wrong, please ignore this post. If I'm correct, you may want to listen to this short movement from Will Todd's "Ode to a Nightingale" (a musical setting of John Keats' poem by the same name). Start at 1:55 and listen for 2 minutes. This doesn't make me sad, but it does often reduce me to tears.

I love music like this, music that takes you for an emotional journey and cleanses the soul. The entire work is around 35 minutes in length and takes you on a roller coaster ride of emotions.......worth at least a 2 minute listen.
I'm mentioning the songs that make you emotional from hearing them. Yes, those are very good picks of music!

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Easy, anything and everything from Tracy Chapman. Play her songs for a perfect evening of lonely depression. No don't. Instead play Joan Armatrading, sad but not depressingly sad. "It Could Have Been Better" is her biggest hit. Listen to it and tell me what you think.
Yes, Tracy Chapman has some sad music.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
This is probably the saddest song ive ever heard on mulitple levels. Final performance. He died a few months later. The pain in his voice towards the end of the song gives me chills every time i hear it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This is probably the saddest song ive ever heard on mulitple levels. Final performance. He died a few months later. The pain in his voice towards the end of the song gives me chills every time i hear it.

The unplugged of Alice In Chains is similar. Layne was very sick during this performance.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's a Hymn which is not sad; but, I cry with joy for being saved every time I hear it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis