What's the saddest song you've ever heard?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
This one just wowed be in a very deep way!

Cheers,

Phil

Joe B

Joe B

Audioholic Chief
This is one beautiful, lyrical piece of music worth hearing:

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
I wonder why this is, but I like recordings that lack in treble. To me, a record cut recording from 1943 sounds better than a digital recording. I hate treble for some reason. I like really mushy and murky sounding recordings for some reason. I also like mono better. @killdozzer @Drunkpenguin @Bizarro_Stormy
Ryan

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Cornelia's lament (Priva son d'ogni conforto) from Act 1 of Handel's Julius Cesar in Egypt.

the Egyptian people welcome Caesar. He agrees to meet with Cornelia and Sesto, who are petitioning him for a peace settlement on behalf of Pompeo. In the middle of the discussion, Achilla arrives with gifts from Tolomeo -- one of them is the severed head of Pompeo, Cornelia's husband and Sesto's father. Caesar is livid, promising to punish Tolomeo, while Sesto swears revenge for his father's murder. Cornelia, now suddenly a widow, is naturally devastated -- even though she receives an immediate marriage proposal from Curio.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Gloomy Sunday needs mentioning in honour of all the victims (check the history of the song), but it wouldn't be my choice. For me, the saddest song is Charles Aznavour's Il te suffisait que je t'aime, but not because of the melody, you need to find the translation to see why it's sad. If it's the melody we're talking about, then it's O Paraiso by Madredeus.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Cornelia's lament (Priva son d'ogni conforto) from Act 1 of Handel's Julius Cesar in Egypt.

the Egyptian people welcome Caesar. He agrees to meet with Cornelia and Sesto, who are petitioning him for a peace settlement on behalf of Pompeo. In the middle of the discussion, Achilla arrives with gifts from Tolomeo -- one of them is the severed head of Pompeo, Cornelia's husband and Sesto's father. Caesar is livid, promising to punish Tolomeo, while Sesto swears revenge for his father's murder. Cornelia, now suddenly a widow, is naturally devastated -- even though she receives an immediate marriage proposal from Curio.
Hey, TLS Guy. I was hoping you'd get in on this thread. :)

I see your Cornelia's Lament, and I raise you one Nessun Dorma. The circumstances aren't quite as tragic, just some Rumplestiltskin bastard gloating that the chick who lost a bet won't guess his name and will have to marry him. Because that's what a man looks for in a lasting marriage, apparently -- a wife who doesn't know his name. Nevertheless, the aria offers one of the most emotional melodies of which I know. Vincerò!

And shame on the cretinous audience cheering and cat-calling during the performance. So undignified!

silentmuse

silentmuse

Audiophyte
Depeche mode - Precious

Martin Gore wrote this song about his divorce from Suzanne Boisvert, and the impact it had on their children. Gore said that his marriage had become "a charade," and felt awful about letting it get to that point:

I thought we'd manage
But words left unspoken
Left us so brittle
There was so little left to give

(text is not mine)

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
The saddest song ever recorded is Tired Eyes by Neil Young.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gorecki's Symphony No.3 ( Symphony of Sorrowful Songs) :

One exceptionally powerful composition. Dawn Upshaw is astounding, and that first movement is a doozy! Chills every time I listen!!! I have the London Sinfonietta recording conducted by David Zinman on Elektra Nonesuch, recorded 1991. None of this composition is anything less than amazing.

Last edited:
KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
One exceptionally powerful composition. Dawn Upshaw is astounding, and that first movement is a doozy! Chills every time I listen!!! I have the London Sinfonietta recording conducted by David Zinman on Elektra Nonesuch, recorded 1991. None of this composition is anything less than amazing.
Hmmm! You have the same name as me! I'm Ryan. And I guess you're into dinosaurs?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Lou Reed, Magician, Magic and Loss, 1991

The album was written while Lou was dealing with the illness and subsequent deaths of two friends. Stunning. Sorrowful. Beautiful.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis