What's the saddest song you've ever heard?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hmmm! You have the same name as me! I'm Ryan. And I guess you're into dinosaurs?
Only the best of us get to share those four letters, in that particular order.
And lets just say I was lucky in the early days of gmail. ;)

Cheers! And nice to meet you!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, TLS Guy. I was hoping you'd get in on this thread. :)

I see your Cornelia's Lament, and I raise you one Nessun Dorma. The circumstances aren't quite as tragic, just some Rumplestiltskin bastard gloating that the chick who lost a bet won't guess his name and will have to marry him. Because that's what a man looks for in a lasting marriage, apparently -- a wife who doesn't know his name. Nevertheless, the aria offers one of the most emotional melodies of which I know. Vincerò!

And shame on the cretinous audience cheering and cat-calling during the performance. So undignified!
How about this one: Vesti la giubba from Leoncavallo's I Pagliacci:

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Only the best of us get to share those four letters, in that particular order.
And lets just say I was lucky in the early days of gmail. ;)

Cheers! And nice to meet you!
Nice to meet you too! People always think I'm saying "Brian" when I say my name, yet it's really "Ryan."

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
The Title Song from the album is considered pretty sad (a cover of a NiN song) but for personal reasons, the one that gets me the most is (sorry, no video) "Goodnight Irene", Johnny Cash, Hurt

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I remember when I was a teenager, this song on a 78 by Bobby Wayne. but I forgot the one on the flip side for which the record was purchased:

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
The Title Song from the album is considered pretty sad (a cover of a NiN song) but for personal reasons, the one that gets me the most is (sorry, no video) "Goodnight Irene", Johnny Cash, Hurt

I love this cover by Johnny cash. Iirc Trent reznor gave the song to Johnny after he heard his version and never played it again.

I also love NIN, something I can never have.

When o was kid, willie Nelson’s “angel flying too close to the ground” got me every time.

KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake

Senior Audioholic
Oh, bravo, sir! Well played. I think you've just won this thread.

Man, clowns are hilarious!
Hey guys,
Sorry I've been slow to respond on this thread, my other threads have been keeping me very busy! Ya'll have got some real tearjerkers here! Wow!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Another classic "Vesti la giubba" with Giuseppe Di Stefano - Watch till the end:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
the Egyptian people welcome Caesar. He agrees to meet with Cornelia and Sesto, who are petitioning him for a peace settlement on behalf of Pompeo. In the middle of the discussion, Achilla arrives with gifts from Tolomeo -- one of them is the severed head of Pompeo, Cornelia's husband and Sesto's father. Caesar is livid, promising to punish Tolomeo, while Sesto swears revenge for his father's murder. Cornelia, now suddenly a widow, is naturally devastated -- even though she receives an immediate marriage proposal from Curio.
Are you sure you are not confusing that opera with "Game of Thrones?":D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
This cover of Sam Smith always brings tears to my eyes:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ooh, three more I'd like to share please...
Accidentally stumbled across this first one on shuffle earlier today: has always been a favorite.
Black Peter, Grateful Dead, Workingman's Dead
Hope I didn't violate some unwritten code here, by mentioning the Dead. And though I'm not a 'head, this is among Jerry's best, imho.
#2, which always just brings my world to a halt for the moment the music commands, the original included, but I've been fortunate to witness two live performances of their rendition:
Hey Joe, MMW, Tonic (1999)
#3, I was told there was a song for everyone who cared to listen... not being a fan at the time, when I was lent a copy of this album. Didn't even want to listen, really, but I felt obliged. This is the song that reached into my young (at the time) heart, and I cried. It was almost exactly an experience I had, and he was clearly singing it to me:
If You See Her Say Hello, Bob Dylan, Blood On The Tracks
Thanks to all who've shared, there's some great stuff here!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Another one for me is “cats in the cradle”. It just illustrates the realities of life and how too many times, it’s too late. Can’t go back! I think of that a lot, as I have two sons and a daughter. Reminds me of Joel Silversteins giving tree a little bit.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My turn! Rick and Morty fans might recognize this (at the very end).

SheepStar

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Hope I didn't violate some unwritten code here, by mentioning the Dead.
Absolutely not! I'm glad to see the Grateful Dead mentioned here. I avoid calling myself a 'Dead Head' because I never followed them around, but I've always been a Dead Fan.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis