what's the minimum wage over there?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
here it's 7 USD.
per DAY.
We have two tiers, one federal and one is state. Federal is about $5.25 that is being raised in two steps to about $7.50 or so in the next number of years.

Many states have it higher and some are higher than the federal will be. But then, some states are expensive and some cities are very expensive and others are inexpensive.

dave1490

dave1490

Audioholic
It's impossible, we have have more "working poor" now than ever, and the middle class The Backbone of our country is slowling being destroyed, here in Miami unless you already own a home or have money you can't find single family homes that are remotely affordable.

ya toronto and vancouver are like that 500,000 for just an average home in a divy part of town.

Rowdy S13

Rowdy S13

Audioholic Chief
ya toronto and vancouver are like that 500,000 for just an average home in a divy part of town.
man that is expensive. My S.O. and I have been looking for a place (in the Chicago land area) and to live near anything were looking at over $200,000 for a smaller starter home. I have a friend who just bought a 1100 Square ft condo for $220,000 Even apartment around here are $800 (rarely do you find something decent for that low) and up. If you make minimum wage, youre basicly screwed. I make WAY over that and its still not enough.

Sean

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Yea, I live in Markham and 500 G's is about the norm. That's in a subdivision location and you live on a 50' x 100' lot. ;)

Last edited:
Survey - Who here either earns minimum wage, or knows someone who earns minimum wage (in the US)?

Follow-up question - are they under 18, over 65, or possibly earning some extra supplemental income?

My S.O. and I have been looking for a place (in the Chicago land area) and to live near anything were looking at over $200,000 for a smaller starter home. I have a friend who just bought a 1100 Square ft condo for $220,000.
Quick personal observation:

Cost of 1500 sq. ft. home in prime Orlando - $450,000+
Cost of 1500 sq. ft. home 3 blocks form the ocean in Surfside Beach - $200,000
Cost of 1500 sq. ft. home in a historic Central FL downtown city where I live - $180,000

Some places are stupid expensive to live in and I have no idea why... except of course for the presence of industry.

My Uncle gave me some good advice early on: You WILL survive wherever you go in America... so find a place you like to live and THEN go find a job and try to make things happen for yourself.

Think about it - will you DIE in America if you pick up and move to another city and start over? Nope... eventually you'll figure it out... So if you're young and "pre-family" this is some good advice - go find a place you like and start your life there, lol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Cost of 1500sf home in the SF Bay Area: Average ~$550K, with nicer areas being right around $700K Why? Lot of industry, as Clint mentioned, and of course, the weather.

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
It's impossible, we have have more "working poor" now than ever, and the middle class The Backbone of our country is slowling being destroyed, here in Miami unless you already own a home or have money you can't find single family homes that are remotely affordable.
This why I live in PA and work in NY. Just couldn't afford a house in NY. And the jobs in PA don't pay enough, at least in my area.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
This why I live in PA and work in NY. Just couldn't afford a house in NY. And the jobs in PA don't pay enough, at least in my area.
Same here,I work in Detroit & live 60 miles away in the burbs,Homes in any kind of decent area near Detroit are obscenely priced yet you get 50 miles away & the exact homes are 40% cheaper.

Going rate for my job is close to $20 an hour higher in Detroit than it is everywhere else in the state so its a no brainer for me, i just bite the bullet,sit back & enjoy the traffic jam's.

highfihoney

highfihoney

Audioholic Samurai
Survey - Who here either earns minimum wage, or knows someone who earns minimum wage (in the US)?
I have a bum for a brother in law who is close to 40 yrs old now & he still makes minumum wage or whatever the going rate is for fast food workers.

Dig this,my wife was harping on me for years to help her lil brother out & give him a job,i told her that he would never last,the working hours were too long for him & he was too lazy but she kept it up,i finally caved in & gave him a job.

I started him out at $17 an hour plus full benifits with the promise of a $1 an hour raise every 30 day's until he hit $20 an hour,all he had to do was come to work on time every day,that lasted for about 4 months,once he hit $20 an hour he felt he only needed to work 2 or 3 days a week so he started comming up with excuses why he couldnt come to work.

Needless to say i fired him,he is much happier now working at Little Ceasers Pizza 6 hours a day 4 days a week,broke as a joke but happy.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall

Follow-up question - are they under 18, over 65, or possibly earning some extra supplemental income?
I was thinking the same thing, but I doubt you'll get many responses to your question. That's because only a tiny percentage of the workforce work for minimum wage, and the vast majority of those are in one of the following groups.............
A. kids who are dependents
B.part time workers
C. Adult worker not head of household.
D. Retired individuals receiving income from other sources

I dont have the link handy, but there was a study that showed the average "Household" income was $50,000 in homes of minimum wage earners.(excluding children)

The entire "living wage" debate surrounding the minimum wage discussion perpetuated by the media is pure liberal nonsense.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Don't think minimum wage earners would be into this hobby, computers and Internet postings. I see lots on street corners. Unless they are just taking advantage of the good will of people?
Off hand, I don't know anyone, but then, I don't know that many folks who are not relatives.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I see lots on street corners. Unless they are just taking advantage of the good will of people?
Off hand, I don't know anyone, but then, I don't know that many folks who are not relatives.
Those arent minimum wage workers.............

Those are bums who refuse to work. They prefer begging on street corners and collecting government handouts to working for a paycheck. No matter how much money & handouts you throw at those types, they'll never rise up from the gutters, because that's the lifestyle of their choosing. Those guys wont even accept work if you hand them a job on a silver platter. They are the inevitable product of any welfare society.

On the other hand, you have guys like HiFI Honeys brother in law who refuse rise out from the low paying jobs by choice. They're happy just "EEKING" by, and it's of their own free will.

Hey.... I can respect guys like that, because they support themselves, and they live life exactly how they choose!! (off the government dime).

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
There was a story a few years ago in the local paper about a ring of panhandlers based out of Broward. They were related, uncles, cousins, aunts well you get the picture. Funny thing is that this ring was collectively bringing over 1,000,000.00 dollars a year in un-taxed revenue. During off work hours they dressed in sharp expensive designer clothing, drove expensive German cars and lived in Mc Mansions in an exclusive development. During work hours, raggedy clothing, sad puppy eye looks, cardboard signs with blessings and or reasons for their condition. I give a lot to charity, I don't feel guilty about some of the bums looking for handouts, most of these people don't want to be helped, they want change for beer/liquor/drugs, if they want help there are agencies that can't get them employment and start them off again.

The above ring got busted, charges went from city panhandling to federal income tax evasion.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis