What to put Audyssey mic on until I get proper stand ? Lfe issues

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
So your main source for movies, TV, and Tunes is a Spectrum App via a smart phone?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
So your main source for movies, TV, and Tunes is a Spectrum App via a smart phone?
For cable programming/ sports, music , I generally watch most movies on Netflix or Blu-ray. Roku ultra streams the spectrum app.
I have to use the app no cable box in my room. My dvr was also taken so I miss a ton of sports.. :(

this thread had The most information I could find besides from spectrum themselves.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
The consensus there on the sound on Spectrum via Roku isn't very positive. Playing something via the Blu-ray connected by HDMI would give you the best possible sound and video.

Did you ever try Over the Air TV ? In (or near) some cities there's lots of content that can be picked up with an indoor antenna connected to the TV. The you use Arc (or eArc) to bring it into the AVR for processing.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
The consensus there on the sound on Spectrum via Roku isn't very positive. Playing something via the Blu-ray connected by HDMI would give you the best possible sound and video.

Did you ever try Over the Air TV ? In (or near) some cities there's lots of content that can be picked up with an indoor antenna connected to the TV. The you use Arc (or eArc) to bring it into the AVR for processing.
I have not tried antenna as I don’t have one, Netflix sounds really good except some large volume swings . I just have too suffer with poor audio on spectrum when I’m watching it , maybe try 3ch stereo or direct mode ?
I’ll definitely watch more Blu-ray’s I’m just trying to decide which player to use I have a few regular 1080p models.

Roku may have other good free stuff I’m not familiar with all the channels. Spectrum is just too greedy to stream 5.1 like Netflix! :(
l will probably keep using the surrounds we’re the pic above I posts is shown with 4 speakers and a center , just because it sounds so good but I can switch to 2.1 or 3.1 for music and non surround if downmix is distorted content. It’s not true surround just a stereo mix technically just stereo with added center channel.

Tv logic mode sounds the best so far.
I’ve had surrounds behind and beside me when this set up was in my bedroom. That is optimal, I do know what it sounded like the movie theater.
xt32 level matched the speakers-way better using the speaker stand for the mic. However that strange trash can method worked ok but no plan on trying that again .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
got sub sounding good enough too not give me headaches finally, although I need something lower hertz when I find a job if I ever do. Is a mic stand necessary for odyssey, or can I wait til I have more money ?

Now I got an even bigger dilemma, the tv I wanted to switch too still dreadfull for cable… should had never got that thing.. :(
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sony-xbr55x810c-looks-horrible-when-on-cable.126546/

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got a new iPhone last year and didn't re-install the App as I didn't use it much. I forgot the name, but if you read the reviews, there's probably a decent free one. (As I remember I downloaded 2 and each was pretty good.) I know there's 4 paid Apps that meet OSHA standards.

For unweighted sound level measurements, NoiSee, SoundMeter and SPLnFFT had mean differences within the +/- 2dB of the reference measurement.

For A-weighted sound level measurements, Noise Hunter, NoiSee and SoundMeter had mean differences within +/- 2 dBA (A-weighted decibels) of the reference measurement. Out of these three, SoundMeter had the best results.

NIOSH says these four apps may be considered adequate for certain occupational noise assessments when used on iPhones.

Use the speaker stand but put something smaller on it to get the top of the Audyssey Mic to ear height and position. The smaller object won't interfere with the sound as much as the speaker stand. Try to get it where your ear would be and not forward on the couch as in the photo.

As I remember the mic positions were closer together than a meter. What receiver are you using here?
I re ran audysee ,
I placed all 8 spots on a small square cardboard thing so they were equal distance apart and only one was for each measurement.
Got this as results .. first one sub was -14.5 so I ran it twice and lowered gain .
503044F2-6DB0-4BE7-8C0D-5BBDC74531D9.jpeg
BE4CE773-F47A-4ECD-9316-EC48EE0D8EB3.jpeg
F727D4A8-A1C6-49AB-8DBF-161106C9F5AA.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Subs seem to be eq flat not getting much bass at all , but I’m trying to decide if I want to turn the channel up or leave them the way xt32 set them up?? The source itself lacks bass so I may just ruin sound quality by adding +3 db.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, I'm half way through my second cup.

On page 61 of the Manual it says "you can adjust the level of each speaker with the built-in test tone so that the volume of each speaker is the same at the listening position." You only need to bother with this as a check to see if Audyssey got it right. So I'd Focus on setting up via Audyssey (after tweaking speaker / sub positions as needed.)

Follow it through on page 37. You need quiet to do this correctly, so pick your time accordingly. (I even shut down the HVAC system when I do it.) I always stay away from the mic (usually at the back or side of the room away from speakers, as to not interfere with the calibration.
Is this format of surround legit its my only option for 7ch. But I can’t mount the speakers

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Is this format of surround legit its my only option for 7ch. But I can’t mount the speakers
As you seem unable to configure the speaker locations to anything near Dolby requirements, or in any logical configuration that has the listener surrounded by the speakers; I suggest you forget about surround sound period! Just go for 2.1 or 3.1 and enjoy it.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
As you seem unable to configure the speaker locations to anything near Dolby requirements, or in any logical configuration that has the listener surrounded by the speakers; I suggest you forget about surround sound period! Just go for 2.1 or 3.1 and enjoy it.
Ahh I see yeah my main audio source is stereo , prologic 2z just adds an extra level of height to the front speakers not sure if it does more than a surround speaker. Even if I ran 4.1 channels it would be matrixed decoded stereo.. I’m currently running no center speaker.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Just go for 2.1 and call it good.
I have it set up in 4.1 ch mode for stereo . Because I dropped the center to fit a bigger tv .
But the lesser the speakers the better it seems in smaller room. Sonic overkill is a thing . o_O

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’ll try Improved 6.2 if it fails I’m Going back to 4.2channel. Essentially got nothing to lose.
Note I lack a center speaker . Oddly enough I can’t get audysee dsx from a stereo audio source . Or no center no Dsx?
3E689486-D2FC-4D18-9068-C59C23B26679.jpeg
6F4EF03F-979F-4125-9149-1684EFD861D2.jpeg
FA46B014-458B-4B23-9FB2-DBFB29A81FD5.jpeg
0CA9EFF6-9A44-4429-8EA0-52619DFB953A.jpeg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That’s not high enough for the “height” speaker. Should be 2-3’ above the mains.
yes you’re correct !
I’ve tried them raised before and it works either way . They don’t have the same higher spl as Atmos does , sitting on a tower speaker they barely have enough spl to be noticed the fronts just overpower them if raised.
they work better for

movies then regular tv .

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis