What to put Audyssey mic on until I get proper stand ? Lfe issues

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
ℹ I apparently never realized years ago, because I misread guides. That you need a proper mic stand , clearly I know now but I can’t afford one yet. No wonder Audyssey seemed a bit off.!:(
Definitely can take suggestions for stands also while I’m looking for a job. Been looking for a while now ..
also is it even worth running audysee for now, I never realized I probably needed a decibel meter also as free phone apps are iffy.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I can’t seem to find a good guide for mic placement its confusing, but as a test to make sure my wiring was correct I ran it on thiS.
990664BB-FB88-4FA8-8D52-0CBCDD098BC9.jpeg

I know it’s a poor option to use but wanted to see if it worked at all, and I had one pair of wires loose. Just low on money, get a stand eventually odd avr doesn’t say or give a manual saying I needed a mic stand . I don’t expect much results from not using proper stand.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Some Denon Receivers come with a cardboard stand you assemble. Two of mine have it, but I never bothered with them as I used a camera tripod. Actually you can use just about anything to get the mic up to ear level at the listening positions. Just something that can do it repeatedly at the same height and isn't too bulky.

I have a SPL Meter and used it against a Free SPL App on my iPhone; and the App was reasonably close. 5 out of 5 times. They work close enough for setting speaker volumes. But Audyssey in conjunction with your receiver and mic does it; so you don't need an SPL meter.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Some Denon Receivers come with a cardboard stand you assemble. Two of mine have it, but I never bothered with them as I used a camera tripod. Actually you can use just about anything to get the mic up to ear level at the listening positions. Just something that can do it repeatedly at the same height and isn't too bulky.

I have a SPL Meter and used it against a Free SPL App on my iPhone; and the App was reasonably close. 5 out of 5 times. They work close enough for setting speaker volumes. But Audyssey in conjunction with your receiver and mic does it; so you don't need an SPL meter.
K what’s best free one to use for now ?
I used to use an unused speaker stand but is this ok to try once? The stand doesn’t really do much but but measure one spot it fits.
I’d use-pillows Or a box maybe but do those absorb sound ?
One guide says put the different locations a meter apart can do that without a mic stand, can’t find a good idea how to do 7-8 points on audysee?
audysee set fronts to 40hz again ..:rolleyes: probably 60-80 better??

Attachments

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
K what’s best free one to use for now ?
I used to use an unused speaker stand but is this ok to try once? The stand doesn’t really do much but but measure one spot it fits.
I’d use-pillows Or a box maybe but do those absorb sound ?
One guide says put the different locations a meter apart can do that without a mic stand, can’t find a good idea how to do 7-8 points on audysee?
audysee set fronts to 40hz again ..:rolleyes: probably 60-80 better??
I got a new iPhone last year and didn't re-install the App as I didn't use it much. I forgot the name, but if you read the reviews, there's probably a decent free one. (As I remember I downloaded 2 and each was pretty good.) I know there's 4 paid Apps that meet OSHA standards.

For unweighted sound level measurements, NoiSee, SoundMeter and SPLnFFT had mean differences within the +/- 2dB of the reference measurement.

For A-weighted sound level measurements, Noise Hunter, NoiSee and SoundMeter had mean differences within +/- 2 dBA (A-weighted decibels) of the reference measurement. Out of these three, SoundMeter had the best results.

NIOSH says these four apps may be considered adequate for certain occupational noise assessments when used on iPhones.

Use the speaker stand but put something smaller on it to get the top of the Audyssey Mic to ear height and position. The smaller object won't interfere with the sound as much as the speaker stand. Try to get it where your ear would be and not forward on the couch as in the photo.

As I remember the mic positions were closer together than a meter. What receiver are you using here?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got a new iPhone last year and didn't re-install the App as I didn't use it much. I forgot the name, but if you read the reviews, there's probably a decent free one. (As I remember I downloaded 2 and each was pretty good.) I know there's 4 paid Apps that meet OSHA standards.

For unweighted sound level measurements, NoiSee, SoundMeter and SPLnFFT had mean differences within the +/- 2dB of the reference measurement.

For A-weighted sound level measurements, Noise Hunter, NoiSee and SoundMeter had mean differences within +/- 2 dBA (A-weighted decibels) of the reference measurement. Out of these three, SoundMeter had the best results.

NIOSH says these four apps may be considered adequate for certain occupational noise assessments when used on iPhones.

Use the speaker stand but put something smaller on it to get the top of the Audyssey Mic to ear height and position. The smaller object won't interfere with the sound as much as the speaker stand. Try to get it where your ear would be and not forward on the couch as in the photo.

As I remember the mic positions were closer together than a meter. What receiver are you using here?
Onkyo 818 , was trying a trash can because I forgot were I put speaker stand which I now remember. Not sure how results will sound yet, I just wanted mic around ear height.
I was using free decibel x , the mic positions is were I’m stumped . I know first is mlp o_O

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Which SoundMeter?like 10+ options I downloaded the 2rd option In purple .
do you think I should re run xt32 again silly trash can method? I’ll probably hear the results tomorrow and decide.
Dynamic volume on or off?
I have on , light .

FF1A9B36-D4CC-48C6-93DB-79BD5074A1CE.png
7BEF9099-DF8E-4D72-9C0F-45236710FDAA.jpeg

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
For now you are just comparing SPL on the App to the Audyssey results so it really doesn't matter which one. What you are looking for after the Onkyo 818 sets up using Audyssey is to see if the speakers are all close to the same level from your preferred listening position. You are looking for relative SPL numbers and it's not critical on the absolute values. The easiest way to compare the speakers is to use Test Tones (white noise) if the 818 can generate those. (I'll need another coffee this morning before I download the manual and search if the 818 can generate test tones. ;) )

Initially, other than letting Audyssey do it's thing, I'd turn off Dynamic volume and any other equalization tweaks. You can always add those in later to suit your tastes. Sort of like bumping up a Sub setting after the fact, which a lot of folks do. (Even though it doesn't sound real.)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Okay, I'm half way through my second cup.

On page 61 of the Manual it says "you can adjust the level of each speaker with the built-in test tone so that the volume of each speaker is the same at the listening position." You only need to bother with this as a check to see if Audyssey got it right. So I'd Focus on setting up via Audyssey (after tweaking speaker / sub positions as needed.)

Follow it through on page 37. You need quiet to do this correctly, so pick your time accordingly. (I even shut down the HVAC system when I do it.) I always stay away from the mic (usually at the back or side of the room away from speakers, as to not interfere with the calibration.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
For now you are just comparing SPL on the App to the Audyssey results so it really doesn't matter which one. What you are looking for after the Onkyo 818 sets up using Audyssey is to see if the speakers are all close to the same level from your preferred listening position. You are looking for relative SPL numbers and it's not critical on the absolute values. The easiest way to compare the speakers is to use Test Tones (white noise) if the 818 can generate those. (I'll need another coffee this morning before I download the manual and search if the 818 can generate test tones. ;) )

Initially, other than letting Audyssey do it's thing, I'd turn off Dynamic volume and any other equalization tweaks. You can always add those in later to suit your tastes. Sort of like bumping up a Sub setting after the fact, which a lot of folks do. (Even though it doesn't sound real.)
It seems to do an amazing job adjusting the speakers, However I may have to slightly adjust the sub levels as I had 2 hooked up forgot to turn one off. My avr doesn’t have xt32 sub eq for multiple subs despite 2 sub outputs ,but I’ll wait to adjust it.
What’s best guide or help for doing that?
I’ll still check to see if there level matched, when parents Aren’t inside it’s very loud and annoying .

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Okay, I'm half way through my second cup.

On page 61 of the Manual it says "you can adjust the level of each speaker with the built-in test tone so that the volume of each speaker is the same at the listening position." You only need to bother with this as a check to see if Audyssey got it right. So I'd Focus on setting up via Audyssey (after tweaking speaker / sub positions as needed.)

Follow it through on page 37. You need quiet to do this correctly, so pick your time accordingly. (I even shut down the HVAC system when I do it.) I always stay away from the mic (usually at the back or side of the room away from speakers, as to not interfere with the calibration.
Check this Multi-Sub Connection Guide out.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
For measuring at the seating position I used a stack of pillows. The plastic garbage can will reflect sound but I imagine that the difference will be minimal. For multiple measurements a musician's microphone stand is great as it's too thin to affect the sound and easy to move around.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
How small a room are we talking about? LxWxH?
13’x 13’ x 10-11’ I think I can measure it sometime but that’s a very close guess.
Bass sounds fine with Netflix so far, the center seems a bit low. So I set it on tv logic surround mode to not be too loud. I didn’t adjust anything properly won’t this is an action movie so the peaks are annoying. o_O :eek: Thx cinema sounds the best so far.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
13’x 13’ x 10-11’ I think I can measure it sometime but that’s a very close guess.
Bass sounds fine with Netflix so far, the center seems a bit low. So I set it on tv logic surround mode to not be too loud. I didn’t adjust anything properly won’t this is an action movie so the peaks are annoying. o_O :eek: Thx cinema sounds the best so far.
Thanks for the info. It's beginning to seem like you need some system setup guidance as well. Can you confirm speaker placements in the Room? A sketch with dimensions would help.

Did you do a Subwoofer crawl before deciding on the Sub locations?

I don't find Netflix a good source for Audio, but then I haven't tried it much even though we have a subscription. I suggest a Blu-ray rather than streaming for system evaluation. Most folks won't use DSP presets like cinema prior to getting the basic system setup sorted. Those all "color" the sound to some degree. And while some folks may like them, dialing in the basic hardware without any time delay / equalization should be completed first.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the info. It's beginning to seem like you need some system setup guidance as well. Can you confirm speaker placements in the Room? A sketch with dimensions would help.

I don't find Netflix a good source for Audio, but then I haven't tried it much even though we have a subscription. I suggest a Blu-ray rather than streaming for system evaluation. Most folks won't use DSP presets like cinema prior to getting the basic system setup sorted. Those all "color" the sound to some degree. And while some folks may like them, dialing in the basic hardware without any time delay / equalization should be completed first.
Sounds like dynamic eq was the problem it’s sounding better now off. I went back to pl2z heights mode. It’s still not finished, ofc in beginning phase of set up. All of sudden a second movie was too loud so dynamic eq went off. I can’t hang my front heights higher, but they aren’t hurting the soundstages. Back wall is bad spot for anything parents won’t let me add a shelf , explains the unusual set up. They even had me rip a nice shelf down in my bedroom. :( Doesn’t matter switching rooms anyway I never use that set up no chair so I moved it downstairs except my bigger tv and sub .

Attachments

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Only had two decent spots for subs, room was tiny and an elliptical no one used takes up space so I can’t use my better sub.
How can I tell odyssey set the subs up right I accidentally had both I at same time at same volume at different spots in room as noted in circles above.
Netflix is hit or miss in sound quality one movie I had to turn dynamic eq off because huge volume swings. I’ll try Blu-ray next although my lowest end Blu-ray is hooked up to this tv.
I can hear the sub beside me not one in front of room.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

I used sound Meter got the two subs to round 70-75 in decibels . It kept moving didn’t stop on one db so I just got them similar. Avr set the sub level to -15 is that good?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
No, that's got them a bit too hot. Your Subwoofer range is –15.0dB to 0.0dB to +12.0dB in 0.5 dB steps (see Page 52 in your manual). So the gain on your Sub is too high as Audyssey can't pull it down, as it's probably up against the limits at –15.0dB. Just rotate the gain on each Sub down 25° and re-run Audyssey. Try to get them away from the limit more towards 0dB. It doesn't have to be exact.

Later, after you've got it setup, you can tweak the Sub if you find you want more. By the way, what are the crossover settings you are going with for the speakers? Typically folks should set their speakers to small and start with 80Hz.

I hope this is helpful.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis