What to pair with NAD T 758v3

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Doesn't look like a good place for speakers....no other way to arrange things?
Would be hard to rearrange since I bought all the furniture already and that's the only place in the apartment to put speakers (it's a 550sf studio apartment). That's why I got the NAD receiver - hoping to compensate with the Dirac correction.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Ah I understand.

Well here’s my thoughts, bass will travel through most things, not matter what speaker or sub produces the frequency, but you can avoid rattle and external noise through an isolation pad under a sub.

I think of subs as an extension of the speakers, not just a bass boom boom box.

But if space cannot allow, I completely understand, just wanted to make sure that you weren’t cutting yourself short of a great system :)

The Kef R900’s will get down and dirty with those 8” woofers however ;)
Sounds awesome - I love the look of KEF R900s but wanted to make sure I'm not cutting short of a better system like you said. The separate sub would def sound better but wondering if KEF R900 would be close enough.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Sounds awesome - I love the look of KEF R900s but wanted to make sure I'm not cutting short of a better system like you said. The separate sub would def sound better but wondering if KEF R900 would be close enough.
I would still say a big difference between subs and no sub, but if you don’t wish for a sub I think the R900’s would be a good choice.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
I would still say a big difference between subs and no sub, but if you don’t wish for a sub I think the R900’s would be a good choice.
Not idea, but I still have a sub from my old KEF 101 5.1 system. So maybe if there's a need for a sub (and space), I can always add later as well. Or buy the SVS one that you mentioned...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know a tower that has some very legit bass and sound great also are SVS' Ultra towers. They dig down into the low 30 hz range with authority and they're pretty neutral speakers with great imaging and big soundstage. I know because I own a pair and I love 'em. They're large speakers tho and if you have a tight space they might be hard to place.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
You know a tower that has some very legit bass and sound great also are SVS' Ultra towers. They dig down into the low 30 hz range with authority and they're pretty neutral speakers with great imaging and big soundstage. I know because I own a pair and I love 'em. They're large speakers tho and if you have a tight space they might be hard to place.
Thanks. They look amazing and I saw them ranked #1 on recent floorstanding ranking on some website. They might be too hard to fit into my space though - one of them would have to go to the right side of the pic I posted and space is fairly limited there unfortunately.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. They look amazing and I saw them ranked #1 on recent floorstanding ranking on some website. They might be too hard to fit into my space though - one of them would have to go to the right side of the pic I posted and space is fairly limited there unfortunately.
Yeah, as much as I love them I'd probably recommend you pass due to your space. They don't like tight spaces.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Not idea, but I still have a sub from my old KEF 101 5.1 system. So maybe if there's a need for a sub (and space), I can always add later as well. Or buy the SVS one that you mentioned...
SVS has free shipping both ways, does not hurt whatsoever to try it out.

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
. . . a couple of requirements are a) Good aesthetics b) deeper bass (trying to avoid getting a sub) 3) under 3000 total spend on speakers
Given your room size and building arrangement I agree a sub is not appropriate for both floor space and neighbor complaints.

Many solid suggestions thus far, adding one more to the mix - Philharmonic Audio's BMR. Review at: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

Larger than a bookshelf, but smaller than towers. Three way design for the bass you seek, smaller visually than the towers, eccellent tweeter with wide dispersion to help with room shape.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Given your room size and building arrangement I agree a sub is not appropriate for both floor space and neighbor complaints.

Many solid suggestions thus far, adding one more to the mix - Philharmonic Audio's BMR. Review at: https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/bmr-philharmonitor-1

Larger than a bookshelf, but smaller than towers. Three way design for the bass you seek, smaller visually than the towers, eccellent tweeter with wide dispersion to help with room shape.
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Thanks so much. These look solid but I was looking for floorstanding versions.

I've narrowed it down to ML 60XTs or the KEF R900s. Actually ordered the 60xt last night but ended up cancelling this morning as I wanted to consult this forum one last time. Could anyone please help?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks so much. These look solid but I was looking for floorstanding versions.

I've narrowed it down to ML 60XTs or the KEF R900s. Actually ordered the 60xt last night but ended up cancelling this morning as I wanted to consult this forum one last time. Could anyone please help?
The options look pretty good -- what type of help are you looking for now -- none of the speakers listed are going to crack the walls with the bass, which is good considering where you live

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Philharmonic Audio has closed down, but Salk picked up the design, albeit at a hefty price increase.

Just FYI.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
The options look pretty good -- what type of help are you looking for now -- none of the speakers listed are going to crack the walls with the bass, which is good considering where you live
Thank you. Just help picking one of the two.

I've heard very positive and some fairly negative statements being made about the 60xt - seem more crisp and clear but can be lacking in the bass department. KEFs have been resoundingly a positive review.

R900s 'seem' a more premium speaker over the 60xts, but just wanted to consult what the major differences between the two I can expect.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you. Just help picking one of the two.
I've heard very positive and some fairly negative statements being made about the 60xt - seem more crisp and clear but can be lacking in the bass department. KEFs have been resoundingly a positive review.
R900s 'seem' a more premium speaker over the 60xts, but just wanted to consult what the major differences between the two I can expect.
In your size room you are going to get some good bass from both of them -- both should hit around 40 to 45 hz ...... flip a coin and if it falls on heads, then go with the KEF

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I like the KEF option too. You just don't hear much negative about any of their speakers. That's what I'd probably go with in your boat.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
I like the KEF option too. You just don't hear much negative about any of their speakers. That's what I'd probably go with in your boat.
Perfect, just ordered these in Black from accessories4less. Great bargain it seems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis