What to pair with NAD T 758v3

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Hi all, I'm setting up a new system for a small-ish room in an NYC condo building. I originally had the NAIM MuSo 2 but returned it to build a separate 3.1 system. Just ordered a NAD t 758 v3 receiver. How would you rank the following speakers (or pick one from the below). Unfortunately don't have the luxury of trying to listen these speakers live.

KEF R900
ML Motion 60
BW 704 S2
Focal Aria 926
Golden Ear Triton
Def Tech Mythos

Any other suggestions also welcome

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Any specific reason why you selected these ones?

Is it to fit a certain price range?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Deftech doesn't get a lot of love, but I'd love to hear the ST-Ls. That said, I defer to Zieg on the Focals. I've heard the Tritons and was impressed, but I'd rather have a separate (and actual) subwoofer over one built into a speaker. Not a big B&W fan until you get into their much higher tiers. I haven't heard any of the others.

Last edited:
K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Any specific reason why you selected these ones?

Is it to fit a certain price range?
Thanks, just the ones I'm familiar with and have read good reviews on. I'm open to others too but a couple of requirements are a) Good aesthetics b) deeper bass (trying to avoid getting a sub) 3) under 3000 total spend on speakers

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
Deftech doesn't get a lot of love, but I'd love to hear the ST-Ls. That said, I defer to Zieg on the Focals. I've heard the Tritons and was impressed, but I'd rather have a separate (and actual) subwoofer over one built into a speaker. Not a big B&W fan until you get into their much higher tiers. I haven't heard any of the others.
Thank you. I was trying to avoid getting a sub, which is why deftech and Tritons were included here. I've never read anything bad about the KEF R900s and they look great too. I'm getting those for 1000/each (refurbished) - seems like a pretty good deal.

So maybe I just compare Tritons and R900...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How small is the room?

If it’s more like 10’ x 12’, I’d go for the KEF R900.

If it’s more like 16’x18’, I’d go for the RBH SVT Towers.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks, just the ones I'm familiar with and have read good reviews on. I'm open to others too but a couple of requirements are a) Good aesthetics b) deeper bass (trying to avoid getting a sub) 3) under 3000 total spend on speakers
I don’t think it’s smart to purposely avoid subwoofers. Well integrated subs can be game changers and provide a whole lot of benefits.

The built in “subs” on the DefTech’s and Goldenear’s are nothing close to a separate subwoofer.

If you were open to subs, something like the Ascend Sierra Towers w/ Dual SVS SB1000 subs would be $3000 and beat just about everything you listed, IMO.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Definitely closer to the 10x12 size and slightly weirdly shaped (pic below)
So the white TV stand is built-in and cannot be moved?

Most people would place the speakers on each side of the TV. Unless the speakers are just for music and will be placed elsewhere.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
I don’t think it’s smart to purposely avoid subwoofers. Well integrated subs can be game changers and provide a whole lot of benefits.

The built in “subs” on the DefTech’s and Goldenear’s are nothing close to a separate subwoofer.

If you were open to subs, something like the Ascend Sierra Towers w/ Dual SVS SB1000 subs would be $3000 and beat just about everything you listed, IMO.
Thanks, I'm a huge fan of subs myself. Only reason I'm hesitant to add those is cos it's a condo building and having the neighbors complain would be bad. I just bought my first place in NYC so looking to maintain friendly relationships with the building and neighbors. This was the only reason I got the Naim MuSo (which I then had to return as I wasn't happy with the soundstage width - it sounded like like it was coming out of a small box).

But maybe I can add acoustic padding to cover the floors to prevent the sub bass from traveling across the floor (and downside)?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Bass travels through most walls and floors....except maybe concrete.

ps And a pad won't do much about that.

K

Karan Malhotra

Enthusiast
So the white TV stand is built-in and cannot be moved?

Most people would place the speakers on each side of the TV. Unless the speakers are just for music and will be placed elsewhere.
Oh, it can be moved but I probably don't have a lot of space to move since it's a small living room. I was planning to place them on either side of the TV. Any ideas how to hide wires or make them look very clean?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Thanks, I'm a huge fan of subs myself. Only reason I'm hesitant to add those is cos it's a condo building and having the neighbors complain would be bad. I just bought my first place in NYC so looking to maintain friendly relationships with the building and neighbors. This was the only reason I got the Naim MuSo (which I then had to return as I wasn't happy with the soundstage width - it sounded like like it was coming out of a small box).

But maybe I can add acoustic padding to cover the floors to prevent the sub bass from traveling across the floor (and downside)?
Ah I understand.

Well here’s my thoughts, bass will travel through most things, not matter what speaker or sub produces the frequency, but you can avoid rattle and external noise through an isolation pad under a sub.

I think of subs as an extension of the speakers, not just a bass boom boom box.

But if space cannot allow, I completely understand, just wanted to make sure that you weren’t cutting yourself short of a great system :)

The Kef R900’s will get down and dirty with those 8” woofers however ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis