What to do next ....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, have read of far more problems setting up well with YPAO in this regard. Some Audyssey avrs with that 75dB target have limits, tho if you want to tweak the level, it may keep you below 78dB IIRC.
Yeah, it that’s why we bump it! Or build a house curve!!!
My buddy has a Yamaha, and it does some weird $hit. Once it’s been calibrated it sounds great. But you need your decoder ring...

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Is it better to set the level of the subs from the AVR or directly from the subs?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Is it better to set the level of the subs from the AVR or directly from the subs?
After calibration, always at the AVR. Then you have en exact reference. If you adjust it at the sub, your kinda flying blind.

With audyssey for example, you set it on the sub until audyssey sees 75. Then it will calibrate. After that, you can bump it up IN THE AVR to a more desired level. Most of us are probably in the +5 area, after the calibration.(not +5 on the display, just plus 5 over where Audyssey sets it).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
After calibration, always at the sub. Then you have en exact reference. With audyssey for example, you set it on the sub until audyssey sees 75. Then it will calibrate. After that, you can bump it up IN THE AVR to a more desired level. Most of us are probably in the +5 area, after the calibration.(not +5 on the display, just plus 5 over where Audyssey sets it).
You might want to fix that, it's confusing where first you say sub then avr (assume you meant avr instead of sub, tho).

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
After calibration, always at the AVR. Then you have en exact reference. If you adjust it at the sub, your kinda flying blind.

With audyssey for example, you set it on the sub until audyssey sees 75. Then it will calibrate. After that, you can bump it up IN THE AVR to a more desired level. Most of us are probably in the +5 area, after the calibration.(not +5 on the display, just plus 5 over where Audyssey sets it).
I dont have audyssey... on YPAO. Each time i do an auto calibration i get different result. Sometime its only by a small and sometime bigger difference.

The last auto setup gave me -2 on the subs
And the other time i got +4.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont have audyssey... on YPAO. Each time i do an auto calibration i get different result. Sometime its only by a small and sometime bigger difference.

Small differences in mic placement might do that. Your gain settings on the sub can change things too (with speakers particularly) with YPAO levels from my understanding. The point is that the gain adjustment on the sub is not as precise as using your avr (with the avr you can always come back exactly to calibration point, not so easy with most gain controls on subs).

Last edited:
Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Alright so far this is what i got after auto setup. i did some manual setup for the subs, because auto setup put them on - 2db

20190917_210848ph.jpg
20190917_210924ph.jpg
20190917_210932ph.jpg

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

That’s kinda why I suggested an spl meter. Then you can verify before, and after calibration. It’s just a great simple tool that every AV geek should have.

I guess I forgot you have ypao. My friend has ypao(my Yamaha doesn’t) and I think it’s a pain. Ymmv

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
That’s kinda why I suggested an spl meter. Then you can verify before, and after calibration. It’s just a great simple tool that every AV geek should have.

I guess I forgot you have ypao. My friend has ypao(my Yamaha doesn’t) and I think it’s a pain. Ymmv
What spl meter do you recommand for me.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What spl meter do you recommand for me.
Good question. The radio shack meter has been a staple for a LONG time. I’d say for 20 bucks or so you can find a decent one, if not the RS meter on Amazon.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Some manual setup of course is necessary....but what exactly did you do/not do with YPAO as regards the sub?
Humm let see, ive turn up the crossover to max on my subs and set level to THX, Than i ran the YPAO. The microphone was at earl level on a tripod. After i got the result i made some change to the size of the speaker and also to the level of the subs and the surround speaker

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Humm let see, ive turn up the crossover to max on my subs and set level to THX, Than i ran the YPAO. The microphone was at earl level on a tripod. After i got the result i made some change to the size of the speaker and also to the level of the subs and the surround speaker
Sounds fine but what does "set level to THX" do? What did you do with the phase setting? Does something sound wrong after you did this?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis