What to do next ....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Also on the back of subs, move crossover frequency dial up to 160hz (max) to get that out of the way (the Yamaha will control crossover)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Also on the back of subs, move crossover frequency dial up to 160hz (max) to get that out of the way (the Yamaha will control crossover)
Look at the photo he provided, there's also an on/off switch for the low pass filter (I hate calling them crossovers).

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Guys... thanks to all of you, am getting way better result now. I was watching a scene of the movie wonder woman in 4k, and i am telling you all that i can hear the subs way better now, actually maybe to much... because my couch was vibrating a bit during big explosion. Each subs are on the side wall facing each other.

So fat so good but i need to fine tune a bit. But again, huge improvment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Guys... thanks to all of you, am getting way better result now. I was watching a scene of the movie wonder woman in 4k, and i am telling you all that i can hear the subs way better now, actually maybe to much... because my couch was vibrating a bit during big explosion. Each subs are on the side wall facing each other.

So fat so good but i need to fine tune a bit. But again, huge improvment.
Cool....mind sharing the last set of resultant settings?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So the pink noise the Yamaha uses on the subs in the manual setup is many octaves lower so it seems fainter than the test tones on the other channels and possibly is fainter too. :)
Exactly. All of them are that way. That’s why everyone should have one. A) to verify where ypao/audyssey set the levels, and B) to know how far up you’ve bumped the sub channel up. Ime, although it mostly reflects how many dB you’ve bumped in the AVR, it’s not always the case. Also, you can find the best phase relationship when using multiple subs, and mains integration. Without rew.(although much more crude).
It’s just a good tool to have.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Exactly. All of them are that way. That’s why everyone should have one. A) to verify where ypao/audyssey set the levels, and B) to know how far up you’ve bumped the sub channel up. Ime, although it mostly reflects how many dB you’ve bumped in the AVR, it’s not always the case. Also, you can find the best phase relationship when using multiple subs, and mains integration. Without rew.(although much more crude).
It’s just a good tool to have.
Wonder if this is less of an issue with louder pink noise signals (say at 85 rather than 75 dB as is common with some avrs, not sure about Yamaha).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Or better yet a measurement mic/software which gives you spl meter capability and much more....
Absolutely. However, I think an spl meter would be a good start for someone like our OP.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wonder if this is less of an issue with louder pink noise signals (say at 85 rather than 75 dB as is common with some avrs, not sure about Yamaha).
Well iirc ypao had his subs at +10? Pretty sure he needed more gain lol. That’s why imo a simple spl meter can help. Set each sub individually for 72db or 73db and see where they are combined. Then ypao should have no problems. What I don’t remember is if it makes you set them to 75 like Audyssey. I don’t think so...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yep, even just a free spl meter app for his phone/tablet (but may lack on reading subs, tho).

Here’s the roll off of two different phone mics. This is one reason I just don’t trust phone apps. Maybe the apps are calibrated for each phone but I would be surprised if they were.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well iirc ypao had his subs at +10? Pretty sure he needed more gain lol. That’s why imo a simple spl meter can help. Set each sub individually for 72db or 73db and see where they are combined. Then ypao should have no problems. What I don’t remember is if it makes you set them to 75 like Audyssey. I don’t think so...
YPAO combines subs/speakers for the setup run afaik with just an estimated sub gain position. Audyssey has you aim the subs at 75dB before starting the speaker routine, and the sub adjustment is somewhat independent for trim level....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So if i turn it off, its all the AVR that would do the hard work
It's not that it's hard work, it's that it's complete. A low pass filter on the sub only limits the sub, does nothing for your speakers. If you have an avr with bass management, it can set the crossover (i.e. a high pass for the speakers as well as a low pass for the sub, just no reason to cascade the sub filter with the avr filter...)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
YPAO combines subs/speakers for the setup run afaik with just an estimated sub gain position. Audyssey has you aim the subs at 75dB before starting the speaker routine, and the sub adjustment is somewhat independent for trim level....
More Yamaha brilliance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
More Yamaha brilliance.
Yeah, have read of far more problems setting up well with YPAO in this regard. Some Audyssey avrs with that 75dB target have limits, tho if you want to tweak the level, it may keep you below 78dB IIRC.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis