What Size Screen or Television Do I Need?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I'm happy sitting about 6 feet with my 49 in the living room. 39 in the bedroom about 8 feet seems a little small. I remember having 25 tube and was very happy with it. So where does this end?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm over 14' from my screen. I could go a lot bigger. So expensive when they get to the size I want. I could even use a projector in here.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m 10ft from 65in. but I look forward to 75 or 82 someday. :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
So 75 is the new 55 these days? 100 plus in the 2020s? Hard to believe when I was sooooooooooo happy to get a 25 inch tube tv back in the late 1980s. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So 75 is the new 55 these days? 100 plus in the 2020s? Hard to believe when I was sooooooooooo happy to get a 25 inch tube tv back in the late 1980s. :rolleyes:
Looks that way!

I remember getting a 36" tube and thinking it was a monster. "I'll never need a tv bigger than this...". LOL

W

Wilm deni

Audiophyte
Choose according your room size or lobby . I suggest you to buy 50 inch as it perfect size. I think this is the best size for your smart tv.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Looks that way!

I remember getting a 36" tube and thinking it was a monster. "I'll never need a tv bigger than this...". LOL
How much did that sucker weigh? My 25 was HEAVY.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How much did that sucker weigh? My 25 was HEAVY.
I forget the actual weight, but I was a lot younger and could barely lift it by myself. It wasn't just heavy, it was huge. The back of it jutted out past the rest of the cube and made it super awkward. I'll bet it weighed more than my current 75" led. I know it was at least as heavy.

It's funny. We have a nice oak entertainment center with shelving, glass doors, cd and dvd racks and a big cubby for the tv. It's 48" from corner to corner and that 36" tube tv almost filled it up. I remember kinda patting myself on the back for "future proofing" by going with the bigger entertainment center. "Hell, I'll NEVER own a tv bigger than that!". It's repurposed as a knick knack cabinet for my wife's Precious Moments collection now, lol.

I don't know how the hell we used to watch TV now. A 36" tube tv and sit 14' from the front stage. Then it hit me. Bean bag. Remember how popular those were? You almost had to have one so you could comfortably sit close enough to actually see what's on the screen! I always used to be on the floor in a bean bag.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
LOL I did have some bean bags back in the day. But 25 was the biggest tube TV I ever owned before I purchased a 26 flat screen back in 2009 or so. And that was heavy for a flat screen compared with my newer TVs.

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
I'm in the camp of better to go as big as possible. Now a days, it's rare to have a woman complain it's to big. There are still some that do. But those are the one's with little experience. ;)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
The 32in tubes were heavy but the 36in tubes were beasts! :)
My buddy had a 39 before he moved to Florida and had to give it away to get rid of it. He told me it took 2 men with a dolly. That thing had to be a super beast! :)

P

Paul Mohr

Audioholic Intern
I haven't read every post here but I will throw something in here. Too big can be an issue for some people. I have a 55" and sit about 7 feet way. I also wear glasses with progressive lenses (think bifocal/trifocal but with no lines). This is almost too large for me because if I am looking at the center of the screen the top and bottom can be blurry without shifting my head around to focus my vision. Movie theaters are even worse. It's just too much screen to look at lol.

I also find that screen size is not nearly as important as I thought it was once I get interested in a movie. I have owned a lot of screen sizes in my life time and non of them made me not like the movie I was watching. So I wouldn't pay an extra 500 or thousand dollars to jump from a 55 to a 65 or 70 inch screen. A couple hundred maybe though depending on the situation. That being said I don't want to watch movies on my moms 24 inch lcd tv either which seems to like lol.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I haven't read every post here but I will throw something in here. Too big can be an issue for some people. I have a 55" and sit about 7 feet way. I also wear glasses with progressive lenses (think bifocal/trifocal but with no lines). This is almost too large for me because if I am looking at the center of the screen the top and bottom can be blurry without shifting my head around to focus my vision. Movie theaters are even worse. It's just too much screen to look at lol.

I also find that screen size is not nearly as important as I thought it was once I get interested in a movie. I have owned a lot of screen sizes in my life time and non of them made me not like the movie I was watching. So I wouldn't pay an extra 500 or thousand dollars to jump from a 55 to a 65 or 70 inch screen. A couple hundred maybe though depending on the situation. That being said I don't want to watch movies on my moms 24 inch lcd tv either which seems to like lol.
People are being brainwashed (mind control) by advertisers to believe they need a super large screen in their homes to get immersed in a movie. A good story is how you get immersed in a movie.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
My largest TV is a 49 that I sit about 6 feet from. My smallest is a 32 in a spare bedroom. If I do upgrade i'd go no lower than 60 but I feel no need to do so at the moment.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Is a 55 inch about right sitting 8-9 feet away? I have a 51 inch now which isn't too bad. I think I could go bigger, but as much as I like the idea of a 65, I think it might overwhelm the partial wall it is on, which is only around 7 feet and has speakers on each side.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Is a 55 inch about right sitting 8-9 feet away? I have a 51 inch now which isn't too bad. I think I could go bigger, but as much as I like the idea of a 65, I think it might overwhelm the partial wall it is on, which is only around 7 feet and has speakers on each side.
I've got a 55 inch OLED sitting 9 feet away, and that works fine for me and my wife, but then I just upgraded from a 42 inch Panasonic plasma I've had for nine years or so :) A nice thing about the LG OLED is that it has small bezels compared to my plasma, so the OLED is less physically imposing than a same size plasma would have been.

You could try make a paper mockup of a 65 inch OLED TV to get an impression of size when installed.

Last edited:
T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I've got a 55 inch OLED sitting 9 feet away, and that works fine for me and my wife, but then I just upgraded from a 42 inch Panasonic plasma I've had for nine years or so :) A nice thing about the LG OLED is that it has small bezels compared to my plasma, so the OLED is less physically imposing than a same size plasma would have been.

You could try make a paper mockup of a 65 inch OLED TV to get an impression of size when installed.
I've measured and there would be maybe 1-2 inches from the edge of the TV to the speakers. I guess we should try a mockup, but it seems like it will likely seem a bit too big. We don't want to mount the TV on the wall, so I also need to find a stand that can raise the TV above my center channel speaker that sits on the same shelf as the TV.

I think I've asked you this before, but do you find a huge picture difference going from plasma to 4k/HDR OLED, or is the larger impact from the bigger screen? I'm thinking about making the switch from my 51 inch plasma, but having a bit of a hard time justifying to myself an "upgrade" to a 55 inch OLED when I am pretty satisfied with the plasma picture. We really only watch TV at night, so I don't know that the additional brightness is that big of a deal.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
... I think I've asked you this before, but do you find a huge picture difference going from plasma to 4k/HDR OLED, or is the larger impact from the bigger screen? I'm thinking about making the switch from my 51 inch plasma, but having a bit of a hard time justifying to myself an "upgrade" to a 55 inch OLED when I am pretty satisfied with the plasma picture. We really only watch TV at night, so I don't know that the additional brightness is that big of a deal.
My plasma had greyish black while the OLED has black black, so to speak, and that is very noticeable when watching in dark room on dark content (say, like sci-fi). Also, Netflix shows like Altered Carbon in DolbyVision looks stunning. So for me black levels and HDR is a large improvement in picture quality for darkish content, and in general for other content as well.

Another big plus is that the LG OLED has no fan while the plasma fan was annoying on late night watching with low volume levels.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis