What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My old LG TV started acting up so I bought a new one. Nothing fancy. It is an entry level 65". The blacks aren't like an OLED but they are better than the those of the old TV. The screen, while somewhat reflective, is less so than the older unit. I can't use any of the web based features since I have metered internet but I couldn't find a dumb TV anywhere. For those looking for an affordable modern 4K unit this is a good one. The model number is LG 65UQ9000. About $600 with free shipping.

Attachments

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My old LG TV started acting up so I bought a new one. Nothing fancy. It is an entry level 65". The blacks aren't like an OLED but they are better than the those of the old TV. The screen, while somewhat reflective, is less so than the older unit. I can't use any of the web based features since I have metered internet but I couldn't find a dumb TV anywhere. For those looking for an affordable modern 4K unit this is a good one. The model number is LG 65UQ9000. About $600 with free shipping.
I tilt my screen ever so slightly down to reduce those reflections.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, I broke the Piggy Bank on my PC build, yes there is some wasted $$ on looks, but I decided to go all out and have fun. The not so fun was getting everything to work as Windows 11 install was a pain in the ash

View attachment 58152View attachment 58153View attachment 58154View attachment 58155

Build:
  • Lian-Li 011 Dynamic Evo Case
  • Lian Li (7 total) UNI 1SL20 Infinity Fans
  • NZXT Kraken Z73 360 AIO with Display
  • EVGA P3-1200w Platinum Power Supply
  • 32GB G.Skill DDR5 6000 30CL Memory
  • AMD AM5 7950 CPU
  • MSI MEG Ace x670e Motherboard
  • MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 GPU
  • 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 Gen 4 SSD
  • 2TB Samsung 970 Pro M.2 Gen 3 SSD
Overkill, Overbudget, but fast as Shiznit.
I think you should be good for a few years. I'm just guessing. :)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have
I think you should be good for a few years. I'm just guessing. :)
I have six computers here and I have converted all of them, some as old as 10 years, to windows 11. It took a little work to learn how to do it but it wasn't difficult to do.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I have

I have six computers here and I have converted all of them, some as old as 10 years, to windows 11. It took a little work to learn how to do it but it wasn't difficult to do.
Brand new build, I did not have the network drivers installed (MSI has newer chipset 10G Ethernet) so not detected. Microsoft makes it impossible to install 11 unless you have a network connection. Shift F10 & delete requirement in the control panel did not work because it would go to retry. I was able to get into the control panel and add the drivers, but it was a pain. It's been so long since I had to do something like that, and about 5 years since I built my last computer.

I think it is insane the make it impossible to install without a wireless connection.

Upgrading, completely different animal.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Brand new build, I did not have the network drivers installed (MSI has newer chipset 10G Ethernet) so not detected. Microsoft makes it impossible to install 11 unless you have a network connection. Shift F10 & delete requirement in the control panel did not work because it would go to retry. I was able to get into the control panel and add the drivers, but it was a pain. It's been so long since I had to do something like that, and about 5 years since I built my last computer.

I think it is insane the make it impossible to install without a wireless connection.

That's dumb and I bet that was frustrating. MS isn't exactly making offline installs easy at all.

I got Win 11 installed on a VM when it first came out and the install went fine. I haven't upgraded my main PC yet just because it's fine as is. If I thought I'd get a performance benefit from 11 I'd do it. I have TPM turned off in my BIOS so it can't update so no worries there.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja

Not so. You need an internet connection to download the Windows 11 ISO file. You have that. You need a Flash drive to house the ISO file. If you don't have one you can buy one cheaply. You need some instruction on how to to keep the installation from detecting the lack of things a normal Win 11 wants to see. You can find these instructions on elevenforum.com. The ISO file can be used for an upgrade or a clean installation. The ISO file doesn't care whether or not you are connected to a LAN. There is no cost for any of this other than buying a flash drive if you don't have one. Any machine running windows 10 can be upgraded to windows 11 regardless of age.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not so. You need an internet connection to download the Windows 11 ISO file. You have that. You need a Flash drive to house the ISO file. If you don't have one you can buy one cheaply. You need some instruction on how to to keep the installation from detecting the lack of things a normal Win 11 wants to see. You can find these instructions on elevenforum.com. The ISO file can be used for an upgrade or a clean installation. The ISO file doesn't care whether or not you are connected to a LAN. There is no cost for any of this other than buying a flash drive if you don't have one. Any machine running windows 10 can be upgraded to windows 11 regardless of age.
Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. Of course you need an internet to download an ISO file, you need internet to download any file ;)

I am very familiar on how to install windows from an ISO file. Since all my PC's are typically new builds, that's pretty much how I do it every time as I just buy the license key. I had a 256GB USB 3.0 Drive that had my ISO file which Installed from. As far from instruction from elevenforum, I didn't find that specific site, but there are many You tube videos that had a solution that didn't work. They had you go into the command prompt. I figured it out the hard way. My point is that windows, by default does not let you install w/o a network connection, so unless you have experience, or sites like elevenforumn.com it is not an easy process.

In addition, I never said that any computer running windows 10 can't be upgraded to 11. My point is that if you are doing a typical upgrade vs a clean install, the network drivers should already be there. In many cases, the network drivers will be auto detected during the install process. I am guessing here, but I assume since my network chipset is much newer 10G Ethernet, which may be why it could not be detected.

Granted my install was much more complicated because the only other PC I have is a MacBook Pro. I had to install Parallels and Windows (30 day trial), so I could even get the ISO set up for my new PC build. Even worse the Macbook only has USB Type C connections, I did not have an adapter, but I did have an open port in my docking station, so solved that problem. I did learn that you can't use a USB Flash drive w/Type C connection to install a Windows ISO. Or at least my MSI motherboard would not see it.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I get *listeners block* from time to time. Something to do with getting stuck in repeat mode over the air, back in the day. Where a popular radio station could wear out one or two songs from a popular album so badly, that 20 years later if you happen upon the tune again, it's still sounds worn out. This drove me away from radio decades ago. Just to keep them from wrecking albums for me.

Anyway, this occasional listeners block has caused me to listen to music I never would have dreamed of. It also helps that my speakers kick butt and make everything sound good. I can listen to albums just for the percussion section alone, for example. I have one album (Dexter Gordon) that I dive to a single cut just for the trumpet solo, even though I dig the whole album, otherwise.

David Bowie (of all people) got me into funk, with that song "Fame" and "Golden Years" Totally hooked me into that vibe and anything that contains it. This ended up taking me down a whole bunch of jazz/funk related avenues, along with a lot more open-mindedness with stepping outside my die-hard rock/metal days. Side surfing, thanks to utube suggestions landed me on this fix for that funkin itch. Well done record. It's got vocals, beat, musicianship galore. . .

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked these up for $1 a piece not including shipping.
IMG_7484.jpg
IMG_7485.jpg
IMG_7486.jpg
IMG_7487.jpg

Before meeting my friend at Montanna's for all you could eat ribs, I ducked into a use store and found this for a grand total of $28 taxes in

IMG_7490.jpg
IMG_7498.jpg
IMG_7499.jpg

I picked up the player because I have a sneaking suspicion, the Panasonic player that I use at the trailer is on the way out. There is no remote for it. I downloaded the functionality of this player into the logitech remote that would control it at the trailer and tested it. Works great. I love Logitech remotes for their ease of use and programming.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
My 4K UHD disc collection just got a major shot in the arm:

20221023_113631.jpg

20221023_113631.jpg

Can't wait to watch the LoTR Trilogy in 4K UHD.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Below are pics of an AV stand I had purchased for $34 for my daughter/son-inlaw. It worked out perfectly.
IMG_7550.jpg
IMG_7549.jpg

Last edited:
EthicalEar

EthicalEar

Junior Audioholic
mca-325-gen2.png

Bought this. MCA 325 gen 2. It's on the way. Looking to fully utilize for RCL channels, instead of bi-amping the old PVA 4 to low and Sony to highs. Previous power rating 125 to 130 (untested), and now 225. I am hoping for improvement in sound. But does power mean improvement? I chose this one mostly due to brand loyalty and good reviews.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
View attachment 58416
Bought this. MCA 325 gen 2. It's on the way. Looking to fully utilize for RCL channels, instead of bi-amping the old PVA 4 to low and Sony to highs. Previous power rating 125 to 130 (untested), and now 225. I am hoping for improvement in sound. But does power mean improvement? I chose this one mostly due to brand loyalty and good reviews.
Power is not necessarily related to SQ improvement. Your new Anthem is less than 3 dB more powerful than the PVA 4. It's quite possible that you will not hear any difference in sound quality, unless the PVA 4 was struggling to drive weird low impedance speakers, or you like to listen at very high SPL at distances exceeding 12 feet from the speakers.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis