What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Just got a set of ELAC Debut 2.0 6 1/2 3 way towers at a steal open-box from Best Buy. They retail for $460 but I got almost $300 off each speaker buying open-box. I recently bought their debut 2.0 6 1/2 center channel and loved it, so I bit the bullet when I saw these pairs for this particular price (and also after reading reviews online). Couldn’t find any other mid-level speakers for this price anywhere else.

one of my Sony 3 way speakers was starting to give off a loud buzz/vibration at high volumes so I figured it might bring going bad as I’ve had it for close to 4 years now. Instead of repairing or replacing it, I will use it as a rear surround.

im really excited as I am setting up my entertainment center in my garage this Monday and being that theaters are still closed in SoCal, I’m so excited I have a theater at home!!
just hooked up the speakers and out of curiosity I was touching each woofer while active and one of the woofers in the speakers (top woofer) wasn’t vibrating. I compared it to the other speaker in the same location and it was vibrating very well so I’m assuming I got one bad speaker.

Returning now for another speaker. I rarely run my speakers very hard and it’s a good thing that the speakers come with a three-year warranty from manufacturer.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Looks like the open box one I’m exchanging for is cheaper than I originally purchased it for. It’s has some cosmetic defects, like someone tried to unsuccessfully remove 2 of the pieces that hold the grill in place on the face of speaker. Grill doesn’t fit correctly but I think I can fix it. Other than that the speaker looks good and fully works..

Can’t believe I got 2 three way Elacs for basically $280..

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Finally got my new speakers home!!!! This room is a work in progress. Still waiting for the seating, center, rear, atmos, projector, screen, processor and amp. So far got the SVTRS, ATI AT544NC powering the 4 sub units, an ATI AT542NC for the mid/tweeter, and the Legacy Wavelet as the crossover and preamplifier.
20210309_171858.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
From those Uber Tall RBH above, to the small monitors LOL

Kanto YU6 Wireless Bluetooth Speakers. Reviews of these are well received and I do like the finish options.

Had to return the SVS Prime Wireless that I got such a good deal on. They sounded great for their size, but SVS really screwed the pooch when it decided to use DTS Play-fi from your cell phone to control volume. Volume control only worked when in the wireless input, and did not work when in AUX or Optical. The biggest deal breaker was that you had to manually get up to switch between inputs, (i.e. TV, Bluetooth etc). Not good for a bedroom TV setup

The Kantos do come with a remote, I get these on Thursday, will update with my feedback then

Attachments

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Finally got my new speakers home!!!! This room is a work in progress. Still waiting for the seating, center, rear, atmos, projector, screen, processor and amp. So far got the SVTRS, ATI AT544NC powering the 4 sub units, an ATI AT542NC for the mid/tweeter, and the Legacy Wavelet as the crossover and preamplifier. View attachment 45481

I would like to see people’s facial reaction when they walk into that room. :D

Even before they listen to those THX-Olympus Certified speakers. :D

FYI, THX-Olympus Certification is way beyond THX-Dominus.

THX-Olympus certification can only be achieved by the speaker gods. :D

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Finally got my new speakers home!!!! This room is a work in progress. Still waiting for the seating, center, rear, atmos, projector, screen, processor and amp. So far got the SVTRS, ATI AT544NC powering the 4 sub units, an ATI AT542NC for the mid/tweeter, and the Legacy Wavelet as the crossover and preamplifier. View attachment 45481

Just wow.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
From those Uber Tall RBH above, to the small monitors LOL

Kanto YU6 Wireless Bluetooth Speakers. Reviews of these are well received and I do like the finish options.

Had to return the SVS Prime Wireless that I got such a good deal on. They sounded great for their size, but SVS really screwed the pooch when it decided to use DTS Play-fi from your cell phone to control volume. Volume control only worked when in the wireless input, and did not work when in AUX or Optical. The biggest deal breaker was that you had to manually get up to switch between inputs, (i.e. TV, Bluetooth etc). Not good for a bedroom TV setup

The Kantos do come with a remote, I get these on Thursday, will update with my feedback then
I have a Kanto Yaro 2 DAC/Amp for my desktop system and it works very well. Their speakers get good reviews, but I've never heard any.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
PSB Stratus Goldi's!

View attachment 44868

Got these from the original owner.. had to make a 500+mile round trip. But they are in immaculate condition. I paid a little more than the median going price I've seen, but it was worth it for the like-new condition.

But here's the thing... when I got them home and started listening to them in the living room... they sucked! WTF happened to the sound I heard in the owner's house? I mean if I cranked them really loud it was nice, but my receiver got very hot.

So I recalled that the seller had his fed by a Parasound HCA series amp. I had heard that these need a really robust amplifier, but I guess the proof's in the pudding.

That revelation then led to...
What AVR were you using to try and power these? Would a TOTL Yamaha RX-A3060 have enough guts to drive them? These are a true 4 ohm speaker with a low sensitivity to boot so I would not be surprised that these things need power. I just gotta know how much power. My Yamaha is rated at 150Watts/per channel to channels driven full bandwidth at 8 ohms.

Are these speakers as good as the reviews and audio community rave about? Im interested to here your take.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My latest aquistiions..

IMG_4962.jpg

The Jerry Lee Lewis I ordered off of Amazon..180gm new vinyl. The Peter Green Album is also new on 180gm and bought them with other used albums just up the road from where I live. Its a wonder I'm not broke yet.

IMG_4963.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I did not realize there was more than one Dragonheart movie.
Me either until I went onto Amazon to replace the DVD version that I had. Dennis Quaid and Sean Connery are only in the first one unfortunately. I havent started watching them yet.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
What AVR were you using to try and power these? Would a TOTL Yamaha RX-A3060 have enough guts to drive them? These are a true 4 ohm speaker with a low sensitivity to boot so I would not be surprised that these things need power. I just gotta know how much power. My Yamaha is rated at 150Watts/per channel to channels driven full bandwidth at 8 ohms.

Are these speakers as good as the reviews and audio community rave about? Im interested to here your take.
It was a Denon DRA-800H. With all the other speakers I've had since I bought the receiver, -20db has been the default turn-on volume. Not too loud as to get yelled at (usually), and plenty of leftover headroom when I was alone and wanted to let her rip.

Said speakers would include revel F30, Von Schweikert VR-4 and VR-33, Cambridge Tower 1, and recently acquired Paradigm Eclipse.

I had to start at around -15db with the PSB's, maybe higher. And getting them to what I'd consider "loud" was playing in the -5 to 0 range. And that unit was getting downright hot at those levels.

The Niles amp could handle them well. And yeah they are incredible when properly fed. The ubiquitous Vifa metal dome is brighter than I care for, and had they been keepers I might have considered the SEAS H1212. I followed Madisound's recommendation and used the H1212 to replace the Vifa in the VR-4's and it was breathtaking.

Overall though they're a joy to listen to, especially at volume. Comparing the PSB's to the Revel F30, I'd say the Gold-i has much deeper and stronger bass, call it equal with midrange, and give the Revel the win with treble smoothness. PSB wins on aesthetics and tend to sell a few hundred cheaper than the F30. The F30 is much easier to drive with an AVR though... far less demanding.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Niles is good for about 120wpc at 4 ohms and stable to below 3 ohms. It's not so much the power needed, but the amp's ability to not have the life sucked out of it by that woofer dipping below 3 ohms.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been working very hard to not have to buy a 2nd sub and still get a smooth in room response at the listener position. I was successful in the basement... across the entire couch
sub_at_new_location.jpg

successful in the bedroom (snickers at the inuendoes springing from that one comment) only have one sitting position..
New Sub Location.jpg

but try as I might in the greatroom, I could not find a good spot. This is the best I could do..
New-Facing-Out.jpg

Sooooo.... I bought a 2nd PSB Subsonic 6 for $275 for the greatroom. Its the one to the right of the speaker. I placed it in that location as this was best spot I could find for one sub in that room based on REW. Look at the bottom measurement.

IMG_4976.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis