What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Aaaaaahhh... Finally:
View attachment 39607
View attachment 39608
View attachment 39609
As the slogan goes "Your Own Cloud Starts Here". This is one of my long term dreams, a NAS to share media files with all in the household. It's just TOO good. So far there's an old SSD of only 250GB inside just for a test drive and a TB hooked via USB to see how it all works. USB is a HDD and still it works wonders. Few users running HD and HiRes files no lag, no stutter.

Like a charm!
I am completely ignorant of NAS systems!
Do you use it mainly for media playback?
So other than the HDD, is it all you need to be able to access files (including media)?
For media playback is it stand alone or does it take software like Plex to run it?
Can you make playlists?
Can it shuffle within playlists?
I assume the max capacity is something extreme like 15 TB?
Have you used it as a source for common music throughout the home?
If so, how do you get the timing of all players to sync (or is it close enough)?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@KEW Hey, man! Sorry for the late reply.

I wasn't NAS savvy myself, but I always knew I wanted to have a huge storage capacity accessible from anywhere in the house. I'll give you a few details and answers to the best of my knowledge.

I bought somewhat of as beast and it can do 32TB as it is, but could do 216TB if I upgrade RAM. It also has two USB 3.0 ports and can take two external HDD to further expand the storage capability.

In my bottom pic you can see a black HDD sitting on top of the NAS. It's a 1TB of music I acquired over the years. My lady playing one song on her laptop and me playing another on mine, no trouble at all. Later we tried with two different HD video files, works perfectly.

I have a projector in my bedroom and taking my laptop to a night stand, I can play anything from the NAS. I wanted to buy a wireless projector, but members here in AH said it can't be good enough. So this is a work around.:D

It has a Realtek RTD1296 4-core 1.4 GHz and is quite fast.

I bought mine exclusively for media playback. It has its own operating system, but so far I haven't installed any software on it. It is possible to have some organizers and players as far as I've seen, but I'm leaving that for later.

I really like things simple and I'm trying to use the NAS like some sort of a wireless memory stick - all members have access and no one has to have it plugged in his PC.

This is why I was hoping for a plug n' play solution like an external HDD would be, but it is more complicated than that.

Setup had me going through video clips on YouTube (luckily Synology has its own tutorials), and there's some work with logins, passwords, permissions (computer crowd is way to paranoid for me, I'd be happy with the thing not being accessible from the Internet, but I would keep it open for all in the household and that's it). It's asking you about groups of different clearance levels :D and going through sorting them with different folders, many of which I didn't need.

But the end result - WORTH EVERY PENNY. See below, I have it appear in my File Explorer just like a partition (the MotherLoad :);) )

1599547120006.png

And in it I just have hundreds of albums I ripped or bought or got over the years:

1599547472774.png

Playlists and shuffles I still do on my PC which I still use for interface. I still don't know if it's possible to add a sound card to it and connect it directly to the amp. So far the need didn't arise.

It's much like a cloud, but the one I'm not letting wonder outside of my apartment.:)

I didn't try to sync different players, I would probably use multiroom for that. Send the signal to central amp and let it deal with sync.

I hope some of this helped!

Oh, and most of them are sold with no drives. In mine you can use 2,5 and 3,5 HDD and SSD and it is SATA. I popped an empty, formated SSD inside and used it to learn how to operate it. I'll get a few drives next month and move my files to it. You can also use it to back up stuff, just like in a Cloud.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@KEW Some of your answers might be here:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yup, I have been steadily headed all-electric! Battery capacity, weight, and recharge cycles took quite a while ot catch up, now we are in a good position, finally@

RC cars are now all battery powered.
I have the Ryobi 40V Weed Eater, Chain Saw, and Leaf Blower, and could not be happier!
My Ryobi stuff has done very well for me. I don't have any of their lawn equipment yet, but all my power tools/batteries have held up very well in the decade I've had them. Batteries staying charged for a year or more doesn't hurt.

When my mower/weed eater finally dies I'll probably go electric, but that 60 min run time won't work for me. My mother-in-law has one of the battery powered mowers and I used it to do her lawn. I didn't finish before I had to get a second battery. That's the only thing that's stopping me from getting one.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My Ryobi stuff has done very well for me. I don't have any of their lawn equipment yet, but all my power tools/batteries have held up very well in the decade I've had them. Batteries staying charged for a year or more doesn't hurt.

When my mower/weed eater finally dies I'll probably go electric, but that 60 min run time won't work for me. My mother-in-law has one of the battery powered mowers and I used it to do her lawn. I didn't finish before I had to get a second battery. That's the only thing that's stopping me from getting one.
The Ryiobi 40V stuff, when you buy the tool, they typically have just the tool, or a pack with a battery and charger too for maybe another $50 or so. That is a good deal, as the price of a battery/charger is $100-$150.

So, I bought the chain saw, weed eater, and leaf blower, and each came with a battery and charger.

3 full batteries of weed eating is about all I got in me for a day, good excuse to quit for the day in the heat!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I just snagged a used JB4 tuning module for my car. Bring on more power!
What type of increase in HP and Torque will you get?
My Chevy Sonic gets around 50% more of each and is still running fine at 140K! I don't think you can get that much unless it is turbocharged. It is fun because it is such an effective sleeper - nothing apparent to think it is anything more than another econo-shitbox!
Definitely a gamble (whether the performance will justify the loss of durability) and I don't punch it every time I go, but Chevy seemed to put some extra safety factors in these engines. I did have to replace the clutch at 80K, but the second one looks to be lasting better!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
What type of increase in HP and Torque will you get?
My Chevy Sonic gets around 50% more of each and is still running fine at 140K! I don't think you can get that much unless it is turbocharged. It is fun because it is such an effective sleeper - nothing apparent to think it is anything more than another econo-shitbox!
Definitely a gamble (whether the performance will justify the loss of durability) and I don't punch it every time I go, but Chevy seemed to put some extra safety factors in these engines. I did have to replace the clutch at 80K, but the second one looks to be lasting better!
Should put me a little north of 350 hp and 375 ft-lbs to the wheels, from around 295 each at stock.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Should put me a little north of 350 hp and 375 ft-lbs to the wheels, from around 295 each at stock.
So 20 and 25%.
In a way, I would have liked that better, the 50% just seemed too insane and I really worried about it (but not enough to not do it - I found out about the tune and it was the main reason I bought that specific car)!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
So 20 and 25%.
In a way, I would have liked that better, the 50% just seemed too insane and I really worried about it (but not enough to not do it - I found out about the tune and it was the main reason I bought that specific car)!
Yeah, there are tunes available that could get me over 50% increases in both, but they are a lot more money than I was looking to spend!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, there are tunes available that could get me over 50% increases in both, but they are a lot more money than I was looking to spend!
Mine was only $300 (from BadNews Racing)! The same engine (turbo-charged 1.4) was used in most Cruzes as well as Sonics and these are comparatively inexpensive cars so I guess their business model was based on high volume sales since many of these cars are bought by young kids (or their parents and the kid adds the tune with the parent none the wiser). I'm older, but mentally immature when it comes to this!
What vehicle do you have?
If I had a choice of 25% or 50% for the same price, I would have gone 25%, but as it turns out, the 50% has proven reliable and I have enough miles on it now that "no regrets" if the engine was to give it up. I'd get a used replacement engine out of a junk yard and set up the tune all over!

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I’ve been seriously considering getting a tune for my Volkswagen TDI as VW seriously neutered the engine after “diesel-gate”. $650 would get me +50hp and +100lb-ft of torque (both at the wheels). Money well spent!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I’ve been seriously considering getting a tune for my Volkswagen TDI as VW seriously neutered the engine after “diesel-gate”. $650 would get me +50hp and +100lb-ft of torque (both at the wheels). Money well spent!
I'd assume that engine/tune has been around long enough for it to show if there were reliability issues with getting the extra power out of it (or tranny failures from the extra power/torque). That would be pretty sweet! My old Jetta was pretty decent stock!
Oh poop, now you had me checking for a tune for my Volt. Turns out there is a chip you plug in!
I think that would defeat the reason for it (battery life/mileage), but have to read up on it!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Mine was only $300! The same engine (turbo-charged 1.4) was used in most Cruzes as well as Sonics and these are comparatively inexpensive cars so I guess their business model was based on high volume sales since many of these cars are bought by young kids (or their parents and the kid adds the tune with the parent none the wiser). I'm older, but mentally immature when it comes to this!
What vehicle do you have?
If I had a choice of 25% or 50% for the same price, I would have gone 25%, but as it turns out, the 50% has proven reliable and I have enough miles on it now that "no regrets" if the engine was to give it up. I'd get a used replacement engine out of a junk yard and set up the tune all over!
I've got an Infiniti Q60, with the twin turbo 3.0L v6. An ECUTek tune runs around $1500 and would get me to 400+hp and 460+ ft-lbs to the wheels! I picked up my JB4 with the bluetooth module for $370 from someone returning their lease. I imagine that it will be plenty for me. (for now at least... lol)

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I'd assume that engine/tune has been around long enough for it to show if there were reliability issues with getting the extra power out of it (or tranny failures from the extra power/torque). That would be pretty sweet! My old Jetta was pretty decent stock!
Oh poop, now you had me checking for a tune for my Volt. Turns out there is a chip you plug in!
I think that would defeat the reason for it (battery life/mileage), but have to read up on it!
I used to be into tuning my autos (power train and audio!) but my interests of late have been elsewhere. Perhaps I may (casually) get back into it- heck, $650 for 45-50% gains is not bad at all. VW provided another insane power train warranty on TDIs that they had to buy back (I’ve got 80k left on mine) and it is nice that the tune on offer is easily defeated for service.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This seven EP set by Global Communication just arrived from Bleep in the UK!
593628B3-E2B7-41F8-A978-98E0A8E1693B.jpeg
C5724C79-E023-49DD-9729-956B2B10CFEF.jpeg

International mail was faster than the USPS!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis