What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What a nice looking room!
Why thank you! I got "designer of the year" nomination (joking) from a cousin who happens to be a multi-millionaire and hired a designer who didn't do quite as expected. Another view, from a different corner of the room and looking toward the dining area.

EDIT: The one remaining piece from the previous living room set, the chair, will be replaced when I find just the right one. The surround speakers will come down, and I'm searching for a better curio cabinet for my wife's trinkets.

Attachments

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Two categories of stuff bought, furniture and a music-playing device. FOr the butt, new leather sofa & loveseat that are about 2" higher (easier to get up off it) and SO MUCH more comfortable to sit on. We choose leather for having cats because they don't shred it and any needed cleanup is easy.

For the other purchase, a heavily discounted demo model of an obsolete Bluesound Pulse Mini speaker. It's not the latest 2i version, but we don't need that here with no IOS products. It's for my wife for when she goes up to our spare room to smoke her weed (legal here, and it helps her medically.) She won't touch any of my other 3 BluOS-equipped systems, this one is for her alone. I loaded the BluOS app on her phone, selected Amazon Music HD source, and "Classic Rock" station. That's probably all she'll ever play. It's just what she needed and sounds GREAT.
View attachment 37337
Looks good. Is it a 3.1? Do you move the couch for movies?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looks good. Is it a 3.1? Do you move the couch for movies?
It's 5.1.2, and no I don't move it although with the new stuff it slides so easy I'm going to create a Dirac profile for that. I know it's a difficult room for proper surround, but I watch so little it doesn't matter to me.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
I just bought the Samuel L Jackson voice for my Alexa devices. $0.99.

Also, bought 8 of those Infinity R263 when they were on sale last week-ish.
And, purchased miniDSP 2x4 HD and UMIK

Hopefully, I will buy some subs and the new Denon x6700 receiver soon.

GatorPigDog

GatorPigDog

Audioholic
I had a hard time not jumping at $200/ea!
So what are your plans for 8?
I originally bought 7 to set up a 7.1 system. Then I figured I might as well add another and pick up the RC263 when it comes back around to try out 9.1.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
9 bucks per cassette?? Actually that's probably pretty good for those brand new since nobody makes them anymore...

I've owned plenty of cassettes but never learned about the differences in fidelity. I'm assuming high bias and black magnetite are what makes those better than typical?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
9 bucks per cassette?? Actually that's probably pretty good for those brand new since nobody makes them anymore...

I've owned plenty of cassettes but never learned about the differences in fidelity. I'm assuming high bias and black magnetite are what makes those better than typical?
I bought them because they are Maxell Chromes, type 2 and $9.00 per cassette is a fair price. I'm not sure the magnetite is ...quessing its marketing term..

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Have had this for a couple weeks now and loving it. Have put a lot of m0vies through it already, and triggered 'protection mode' several times. Think I found the sweet spot now.
Capture.PNG

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats that Denon should keep you happy for a long while. Just get some fans and you are set. Enjoy.

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Congrats that Denon should keep you happy for a long while. Just get some fans and you are set. Enjoy.
I have had a 4 fan set up on top of the receiver for some time now. It goes into "speaker protection mode", which I need to do a thread on.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I have had a 4 fan set up on top of the receiver for some time now. It goes into "speaker protection mode", which I need to do a thread on.
Turning on Eco mode on my 4500 makes a huge difference on reducing heat. The other thing I did was move my front left and right speakers to an external amp. Now the only time the 4500 gets warm is when I am running an extended group of Audyssey EQ setups. Other than that my 4500 stays amazingly cool even without a fan and it still has 6 speakers attached to it - surrounds, highs and back surrounds.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Turning on Eco mode on my 4500 makes a huge difference on reducing heat. The other thing I did was move my front left and right speakers to an external amp. Now the only time the 4500 gets warm is when I am running an extended group of Audyssey EQ setups. Other than that my 4500 stays amazingly cool even without a fan and it still has 6 speakers attached to it - surrounds, highs and back surrounds.
I have a 2015 model AVR-4200X that I have on Eco mode auto as most of my listening is at lower levels, though I have added a couple of 80mm quiet Noctua fans on top of it just in case when I decided that dust is the lesser problem. When I pump up the volume the Eco auto mode does it's magic by turning itself off.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'd start looking for an affordable multi-channel power amp to take some of the load off the receiver. You have pre-amp outputs, use 'em. All the fans help, but you need to address the reason it's getting so hot and that's likely the power demands.

If something like the Monolith 7x200 could be added, you'd never see that problem again.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Denon AVR-X3600 (lucky display model find at local Crutchfield store yesterday), Monolith X3 and Aircom S10 component fan. And I'm going out of town for the weekend so no time ti play until next week! X3600 total placebo affect but I'm happy with my find. ;)

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Is 'speaker protection mode' a heat problem or a Db/harshness issue, seems to me it triggers from sound. Most times it handles loud well, then out of the blue it gets scared it seems. ;) Got the fan for the Onkyo, That thing was always blazing hot. I am running 11.1, generally in Atmos or Auro 3D.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis