What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
FWIW, mine has been solid, though I don't use it every day. ;) A little funky in the UI. Oh, and it does not like DTS multi-channel CDs very much: it doesn't read the track info well, though playback is exceptional. (It will play track 2, then repeat it saying it is track 3... and it snowballs.) But with regular CDs and all video discs I have run through it, it is great.

But that UI... D@mn.

I'd almost say DOS is more user friendly just to prove my point in case a Sony exec is following this thread. :p
;)

FWIW, I've used mine for almost 6 years, and the price you paid for yours is exceptional. ;) If mine only cost $50 US, I wouldn't complain about the other stuff! :D
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately the unit will be shipped to me in a couple days but by then I'll be on a plane to Calgary to meet up with my brother. He's asked me to drive to Palm Springs with him to get his Audi A7 in the garage at their winter (?) house. He wants to go via the Pacific Coast Highway and stop in San Francisco, so the trip down will take 5 days or so. I expect we'll be playing some golf before I fly home on the 15th.

By then the Sony UBP-X700 should be here and waiting for me to tinker with it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Pacific Coast Highway and stop in San Francisco,
Fun... But what's in SF that he wants? ;) Sadly, its changed a lot in the last 10 years since I moved up to wine country, and far from for the good. :(

Regardless, safe travels!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I just grabbed a Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Player | UBP-X700 with High-Resolution Audio for $69 CAD (less than $50 USD) from the Best Buy Auction Site here in Canada.

Playback Capability
DISC
BD-RE, BD-RE Dual Layer, BD-ROM, CD (CD-DA), CD-R / -RW, DVD+R, DVD+R Double Layer, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-R Dual Layer, DVD-RW, DVD-Video, SA-CD (SA-CD / CD) Playback, Stereoscopic 3D (profile 5), Ultra HD Blu-ray
VIDEO FORMAT
AVCHD Disc Format, HEVC, Motion JPEG (.mov, .avi), MPEG-1 Video/PS (.mpg .MPEG, .mkv) .VOB, .VRO, MPEG-2 Video/PS, TS ( .mpg.MPEG, .m2ts, .mts, .mkv) .VOB, .VRO, MPEG-4 / AVC (.mov, 3gp, .3g2, .3gpp, .3gpp2, .flv), MPEG-4 AVC (.mkv, .mp4, .m4v, .m2ts, .mts), VC1 (.m2ts, .mts, .mkv), VP6, VP8, VP9, WMV9 (.wmv, .asf, .mkv), Xvid (.avi, .mkv)
AUDIO FORMAT
AAC (.AAC, .mka), AIFF (.aiff, .aif), ALAC (.m4a), Dolby® Digital (.ac3, .mka), DSD - DSDIFF / DSD (.dff, .dsf), FLAC (.flac, .fla), HEAAC v.1 / v.2 / level2, LPCM (.mka), Mokey's Audio, Vorbis, WMA10 Pro, WMA9 Standard (.WMA)
PHOTO FORMAT
BMP (.bmp), GIF (.gif), JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), MPO MPF 3D (.mpo), PNG (.png), WEBP(.webp)

I really don't need it, but I just couldn't resist at this price after reading a few reviews. I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Samsung UBD-K8500.
Let me know if you see another. :D

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Fun... But what's in SF that he wants? ;) Sadly, its changed a lot in the last 10 years since I moved up to wine country, and far from for the good. :(

Regardless, safe travels!
Driving the Pacific Coast Highway should be fun and neither of us has ever done that. (The inland routes are kind of boring...) I'm thinking he just wants to see San Francisco again as it's be years since either of us has been there. One year in my past life, I went there 26 times on business, and one Christmas Party.

Wine country - now you're talking. I was a junkie for Clos du Bois Merlot years ago during my many business trips there and could buy it for less than $10 at a Liquor Store chain I always called Booze-are-Us :cool:. (It was the size of a small Safeway.) These days I'm more into a Cabernet Sauvignon, still a Californian, called J'Lor Seven Oaks. Last January when I was down to visit and play golf in Palm Springs, I bought half a dozen for $13 a bottle at Costco of all places.

Thanks for the post.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Let me know if you see another. :D
There was another one a week or two ago but I had to go out and I missed it. It went about the same price as the unit I won. If I see another one, I'll give you a heads up.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Audio Technica AT2020USB-XP USB Microphone
  • Really tired that anything Logitech seems to touch as of late, breaks down as my Blue Yeti X Pro Mic did in its third year. Great product that uses a micro USB connector that is crap. It's too weak a connector for a USB Mic. I would have actually stayed with Yeti had they switched to USB- C
  • AT comes with USB C and both USB and XLR connection if I want to use it for other purposes
  • A little overkill for Zoom Meetings, Webinars and light gaming, but hopefully it holds up better than my Yeti did.

https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/at2020usb-xp

Attachments

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Four years ago I bought a pair of these monitors :
Samsung C27HG70 27" HDR QLED 144Hz 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (C27HG70QQN)
Early on, while I couldn't get test HDR, I didn't see any issues with them, but later, they developed a nasty and annoying issue: for the first X minutes, they would show garbage on the screen, which would clear out after X time. It started from x being 1/2 minute, not recently as much as five or more minutes.

Something had to be done. I convinced my boss to buy me (for my work-from-home) pair of new monitors and was given a budget - under $350 per monitor. After some research, I've chosen these:
I couldn't be happier - No more garbage on the screen, the colors look much better, and HDR actually works!
I somewhat regret these aren't curved, as previous ones (curved) were slightly easier to look at, but I can live with it.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Four years ago I bought a pair of these monitors :
Samsung C27HG70 27" HDR QLED 144Hz 1ms Curved Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (C27HG70QQN)
Early on, while I couldn't get test HDR, I didn't see any issues with them, but later, they developed a nasty and annoying issue: for the first X minutes, they would show garbage on the screen, which would clear out after X time. It started from x being 1/2 minute, not recently as much as five or more minutes.

Something had to be done. I convinced my boss to buy me (for my work-from-home) pair of new monitors and was given a budget - under $350 per monitor. After some research, I've chosen these:
I couldn't be happier - No more garbage on the screen, the colors look much better, and HDR actually works!
I somewhat regret these aren't curved, as previous ones (curved) were slightly easier to look at, but I can live with it.

I've been very happy with my Alienware monitor. I've had it a few years and g-sync is excellent. Mine is only 120hz, but is curved and UW, which I'm getting tired of.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Just upgraded my spirits collection replacing my Smirnoff with a bottle of Stoli and my Seagram's gin with a bottle of Bombay Saffire.
Trying to collect some great looking bottles as well as moving up from the bottom shelf. BTW I don't drink any of it just want to have a pretty collection.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My daughter and son in law wanted to go see him and they bought 4 tix to see Fluffy on the 18th.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've been very happy with my Alienware monitor. I've had it a few years and g-sync is excellent. Mine is only 120hz, but is curved and UW, which I'm getting tired of.
Tired of curved or UW? I definitely like flat UW. I have a 34" LG at work and a 34" Samsung at home...for work. I can have as many apps open as I can on 2 27s and takes up less real estate.

T

Tankini

Senior Audioholic
Well not that this is really a buy, but I switched from broadband cable internet, to AT&T Fiber internet had it installed this afternoon one gig up one gig down super-fast lovely. 60 bucks a month. Plus, with-in 6 weeks I'll get a 400 buck Visa card to spend on anything. Plus, AT&T will pay my early cancelation fee nice. That's 170 bucks.:)

Last edited:
crazyfingers

crazyfingers

Full Audioholic
Well not that this is really a buy, but I switched for broadband cable internet, to AT&T Fiber internet had it installed this afternoon one gig up one gig down super-fast lovely. 60 bucks a month. Plus, with-in 6 weeks I'll get a 400 buck Visa card to spend on anything. Plus, AT&T will pay my early cancelation fee nice. That's 170 bucks.:)
My only choice is Comcast/Xfinity cable. For no good reason that any town official can explain to me, the town will not allow Verizon Fios to string their fiber lines. Fios is available as a choice in all of the surrounding towns.

It pisses me off whenever I see the bill for Fios that we have at my other house where my daughter lives. It's cheaper and better.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Just saw this Jim. Sorry…
Yes absolutely, if I can be useful.
Glad to hear. I'm away on a long road trip to Palm Springs. Today we made Santa Barbara after seeing the Hearst Castle (WOWo_O) I won't be home to unbox the unit until the 15th, so any questions should follow then.;)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Tired of curved or UW? I definitely like flat UW. I have a 34" LG at work and a 34" Samsung at home...for work. I can have as many apps open as I can on 2 27s and takes up less real estate.
Curved is great, UW is good, but I'm finding I want a 42" oled that can do UW if I use a custom resolution. My current is a 34" 1440p UW with G-sync. It's great, but it's still an LCD.

Nothing I need at all, but some day.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well not that this is really a buy, but I switched from broadband cable internet, to AT&T Fiber internet had it installed this afternoon one gig up one gig down super-fast lovely. 60 bucks a month. Plus, with-in 6 weeks I'll get a 400 buck Visa card to spend on anything. Plus, AT&T will pay my early cancelation fee nice. That's 170 bucks.:)
I've had it for 7 years now and won't ever go back. 1gig up and down is perfect. I can go up to 5gig, but why?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Glad to hear. I'm away on a long road trip to Palm Springs. Today we made Santa Barbara after seeing the Hearst Castle (WOWo_O) I won't be home to unbox the unit until the 15th, so any questions should follow then.;)
Hope you boys have a great trip! Some truly amazing country. If I made it there, I don’t think I’d come back home!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Let me just say that I was part of a class action against AT&T for not giving that rebate card when they did fiber in my area. It took the class action suit and one year before they finally did it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis