What is your favourite release?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Another great entry from Ponzio! I'll sniff around for this.

You're the second person teasing about this "release" thing. You make me question myself. When an album gets released it's a release of an album, right? Am I spelling it wrong or sumthin'?

As for the list, thanks. It's only a start, but hopefully it'll grow into a decent list of recommendations. It often happens to me that I remember some album from long ago and want to listen to it only to get disappointed with the sound. That's where the idea came from. I have a vinyl of Lady In Satin, few days ago when I finally got the Centennial Edition, I couldn't believe. It was like hearing it for the first time. I did one close listening with headphones and a few over the speakers.

I guess this thread would be most useful to people who never heard some of the recommended editions (arrrgh, you see what you made me do, now I'm avoiding the word "release":mad:). Hearing it for the first time AND properly!!! To avoid spoiling your joy with some dim, crackling, poor excuse.

Feel free to throw a few titles here.

@Pogre You were mentioning Pink Floyd, which is actually tough choice. They all sound good. A lot of their albums are just made right. But I didn't forget your input. I'm investigating these "Black Triangle" editions by Toshiba. I want to see if they're mere collectables and curiosities or if they really sound better than the rest. But it's not that easy to find those. It's even harder if it's some of their more liked albums; Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH etc.
When you shoot clay pigeons it's just fun and offers a sort of release of pressure. Get some frustrations out.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@Pogre

After much deliberation, after reaching for that damn peach for hundreds of times, listening through headphones and speakers, listening to vinyl and vinyl rip, CD, finding (you owe me one :p) Black Triangle edition, listening to MOFI edition, I've concluded that the best sounding Pink Floyd Meddle release is the stereo BlueRay one from The Early Years box set.

Not only YMMV, but everyone's MMV. So come forth with the ones you found to sound better.

NOTICE I'm not saying this has to do with it being BR. Comparing side by side, MOFI sounds slightly muddied (you wouldn't hear it without other editions for comparison) and Black Triangle (EMI / Toshiba edition) sounds just a tad too crispy (otherwise it is excellent).

I will admit that BR is a little bit louder, but I don't think it's enough to spoil anything and somehow there's better separation among all the instruments (meaning each one is more clearly defined, you can pick it out easier).

Having said that, this is an exercise in splitting hairs. They all sound very good. There's simply not much improvement one over the other.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin: The Centennial Edition - Columbia / Legacy Recordings

Dead Can Dance - Spiritchase - SACD, 4AD

Dire Straits - remastered by Bob Ludwig

Django Reinhardt - The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order by Ted Kendall

Doors, The - vinyl, Analogue Productions

Ella And Louis Again - SACD, Analogue Productions

Ennio Morricone - Giu' La Testa (35th anniversary edition), CD

Frank Sinatra - Capitol Records era

Jellyfish - Bellybutton, standard CD edition

Jethro Tull - whatever is remastered by Steven Wilson

Led Zeppelin - albums 1,2,3, and 4 (Vinyl version)

- quote by permission from the "High Quality Sound Albums" by PENG

Pink Floyd - Meddle (from The Early Years Box Set), Stereo BR, Pink Floyd Records

Paul Simon - The Rhythm of The Saints - Legacy Recordings, 2013 remastered box set

Tina Turner - Private Dancer - 30th Anniversary Edition CD

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Billie Holiday - Lady In Satin: The Centennial Edition - Columbia / Legacy Recordings

Dead Can Dance - Spiritchase - SACD, 4AD

Dire Straits - remastered by Bob Ludwig

Django Reinhardt - The Classic Early Recordings in Chronological Order by Ted Kendall

Doors, The - vinyl, Analogue Productions

Ella And Louis Again - SACD, Analogue Productions

Ennio Morricone - Giu' La Testa (35th anniversary edition), CD

Frank Sinatra - Capitol Records era

Jellyfish - Bellybutton, standard CD edition

Jethro Tull - whatever is remastered by Steven Wilson

Led Zeppelin - albums 1,2,3, and 4 (Vinyl version)

- quote by permission from the "High Quality Sound Albums" by PENG

Pink Floyd - Meddle (from The Early Years Box Set), Stereo BR, Pink Floyd Records

Paul Simon - The Rhythm of The Saints - Legacy Recordings, 2013 remastered box set

Tina Turner - Private Dancer - 30th Anniversary Edition CD
Kill ... with all due respect ... that's what everyone says before they slam u :D ... I noticed u had the first 4 Led Zep vinyl versions (Atlantic Records). Really? They were absolutely wretched and even then I knew they were shite with a Dual turntable & JBL LL100 speakers. Later on I bought the 2002 remastered Complete Studio Sessions cd box set which was a vast, vast improvement over the original vinyl versions. An even better remastering is the 2008 Definitive Collection Of Mini-LP Replica CD's (Atlantic Japan) and that's just going by the CBR 320kbps MP3(Lame) files I have. And yes I've done an A/B test with an Oppo 105 unit comparing my 2002 cd's and these files on a USB stick. Know what i'm sayin'?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Kill ... with all due respect ... that's what everyone says before they slam u :D ... I noticed u had the first 4 Led Zep vinyl versions (Atlantic Records). Really? They were absolutely wretched and even then I knew they were shite with a Dual turntable & JBL LL100 speakers. Later on I bought the 2002 remastered Complete Studio Sessions cd box set which was a vast, vast improvement over the original vinyl versions. An even better remastering is the 2008 Definitive Collection Of Mini-LP Replica CD's (Atlantic Japan) and that's just going by the CBR 320kbps MP3(Lame) files I have. And yes I've done an A/B test with an Oppo 105 unit comparing my 2002 cd's and these files on a USB stick. Know what i'm sayin'?
I felt no slam!:) Your input is welcome. That entry is a quote from someone I trust, but haven't done the listening myself. I've just finished the engaging task of evaluating Meddle.

Does this Atlantic Japan edition has all first four albums? I'll have to explore a bit.

Anyway, I imagined this thread to be collaborative, so your comparison is as good as anyone's until contested. I'll rewrite the entry as soon as I see which albums were released under this label.

BTW, I've heard some of the songs from your Beatles recommendation. I agree, I also haven't heard better sounding Beatles so far. I believe that one is going in.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
the best I've ever heard out of all the remasters
the best I've ever heard out of all the remasters
Can you show me which version of the set you got? I don’t do vinyl so it’s either disc or pay an ungodly amount for the Apple drive. Apparently there are a lot of Chinese knock offs. Did you get the mono version? A picture is worth a thousand words.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Can you show me which version of the set you got? I don’t do vinyl so it’s either disc or pay an ungodly amount for the Apple drive. Apparently there are a lot of Chinese knock offs. Did you get the mono version? A picture is worth a thousand words.
Here are my notes & pics of my version of the 2009 The Beatles (The Original Studio Recordings). There are 3 versions to my knowledge; the cd box set in both mono & stereo and the USB stick in FLAC format which I have. I also have the converted MP3 mono version but I prefer the stereo versions. Your mileage may vary.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AuzzS1BGAuKthpU9TsTfuvIVIFrWEA

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Sorry I was going by the individual catalogue numbers for each CD in my meta-data which is indicated toward the bottom of the web page. My bad.
In your opinion is the CD set worthy or is the Apple Drive FLAC a must buy?

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
In your opinion is the CD set worthy or is the Apple Drive FLAC a must buy?
tough question. the correct answer is the CD's, a more expensive option. but the FLAC files ain't chopped liver either. many times at trade shows nowadays I believe their either playing FLAC files or HD tracks (forget the trade name) on a laptop. ur call.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
tough question. the correct answer is the CD's, a more expensive option. but the FLAC files ain't chopped liver either. many times at trade shows nowadays I believe their either playing FLAC files or HD tracks (forget the trade name) on a laptop. ur call.
Thanks for the info. For now I’m going to do CD. $330.00 is the cheapest I’ve seen the drive for. Discs will suffice for now.

BTW: The show Rain is touring nationally and will be coming to Austin. Great show for Beatles fans. Google it.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Apple does FLAC drives? Would think they'd do ALAC to stay in the fruity universe....
Misnomer. The usb drive is in the shape of the green Apple like their record label, “Apple”, so Apple drive. See Ponzie’s post above.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Misnomer. The usb drive is in the shape of the green Apple like their record label, “Apple”, so Apple drive. See Ponzie’s post above.
Ah, thanks, wasn't thinking of Apple in only the record company sense....

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
Ah, thanks, wasn't thinking of Apple in only the record company sense....
Right. I think McCartney finally gained control of their catalog. Several million dollars and fifty years later he gets all rights to his own songs.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Recently purchased Procol Harum’s 1971 classic Broken Barricades, specifically the 2009 Salvo/Strongman remastered version [Catalogue # 2009 Salvo / Strongman SALVOCD022 (UK)], which has really impressed me. The production work on original LP left a lot to be desired, SQ wise, and some of the other remasters over the years were so-so. Also the 2009 Salvo/Strongman remastered version of their 1973 release, Grand Hotel, [Catalogue # 2009 Salvo / Strongman SALVOCD024 (UK)] is just as good.

Be advised that I found it almost impossible to purchase these versions from a US seller. I ended up purchasing them thru Discogs from European sellers at a premium price, mostly because of the shipping costs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis