What is up with the JBL Synthesis systems?

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Of course the sub costing six times what the S1S does is going to outperform it......
I could not find a price for the S1S-EX but I assumed that since the hercules system runs $150,000US that they would match it with a quality sub. What is the price of a S1S-EX?

You are in that 2% I mentioned earlier. You must be one of the few "rich guys" on the forum. Lucky dog. That sub is pretty impressive. I've never seen it. If money wasn't a factor, I'd take the Velo. I think the JBL Synthesis is geared more toward commercial and pro audio, while that Velodyne is more for residential usage. It's prettier, too. BTW, what is your setup based on your reply?
Rich, no but I am 23 and I have no wife/girl friend, bills, dependants, and last year I made $80,000. You would be surprised how much money you have when you keep your pants on and have allot of will power. Plus I spend 95% of my budget on my audio system.

Pre/Pro = Mcintosh MX135
DVD = Mcintosh MVP861
AMP = Mcintosh MC207
Fronts = Martin logan Ascent i (soon to be Mcintosh XRT28)
Center = Mcintosh XR27
Rears = Martin logan Aeon i
Sub = Velodyne HGS-15

SvS b4 plus. thats a manly subwoofer. I read a review, somewhere, on this sub. The guy was using it OUTSIDE, with a crown K1 amp(1000wattsRMS) and it did 15hz at 100db and the amp shut down. The guy needed a more powerful amp to get the real numbers on the sub, but they didn't get one . i don't know about you, but the b4plus could waste at 1812, and you would have alot more money left over. Im not saying the 1812 is crap, but i wouldn't shell that out knowing what the b4plus is capable of. on an opposite topic, Svsess(blah?) cheapest sub, pb10 I believe, is a monster for 400 bucks. I read a review, somewhere, wher a guy was testing outside, and it was within +/-1DB from 100 or 120, to 19hz, and inside it went down to 15hz at +/-3db I believe. You gotta hand it to SVS, they make sweet subs, for a great price.
Is this a joke? The Velodyne Digital Drive 1812 would slaughter your SVS sub. Next you will say that your SVS sub can take on the Krell master reference sub. I assume you meant the SVS B12-Plus/4?

http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_MRS_p_MRS.html

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
all this talk about SPL. Sound quality for me. As long as the sub gets loud enough for me in my room, that is all I need. Along the way, it has to sound good.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Rich, no but I am 23 and I have no wife/girl friend, bills, dependants, and last year I made $80,000. You would be surprised how much money you have when you keep your pants on and have allot of will power. Plus I spend 95% of my budget on my audio system.

Pre/Pro = Mcintosh MX135
DVD = Mcintosh MVP861
AMP = Mcintosh MC207
Fronts = Martin logan Ascent i (soon to be Mcintosh XRT28)
Center = Mcintosh XR27
Rears = Martin logan Aeon i
Sub = Velodyne HGS-15

The chix will kill you man. I was going to ask about your retirement, but I guess the audio system is your retirement. :) Nice setup. Now unless you run into a babe with a doctorate, I suggest you stay single with that taste in music.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Next you will say that your SVS sub can take on the Krell master reference sub. I assume you meant the SVS B12-Plus/4?
The Krell MRS is a total dog of a subwoofer. I demo'd one for a short time during my last trip to NYC. It didn't play particularly low (of course, these days we are spoiled with sub-$1000 subs playing under 20Hz), nor was it very "tight". Its not terrible, but its a good value for a $1500 subwoofer.

But It has "Krell" written on it, and that makes it desirable to its target audience: The same people who buy Viking 30,000btu free ranges and don't know how to cook. I've never heard the SVS in question, but I'd honestly take dual HSU Tn1220's over the Krell MRS for sound-quality.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
The Krell MRS is a total dog of a subwoofer. I demo'd one for a short time during my last trip to NYC. It didn't play particularly low (of course, these days we are spoiled with sub-$1000 subs playing under 20Hz), nor was it very "tight". Its not terrible, but its a good value for a $1500 subwoofer.
What? Hmm $1500 for a Krell MR sub? Well last time I checked it was around $28,000US! Ya this sub blows goats, 2,600 watts of power, weighs 420 pounds, and is capable of reproducing a 20 hz tone at 120 dB! Man this sub sucks.

but I'd honestly take dual HSU Tn1220's over the Krell MRS for sound-quality.
Whatever.

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Privateer said:
What? Hmm $1500 for a Krell MR sub? Well last time I checked it was around $28,000US! Ya this sub blows goats, 2,600 watts of power, weighs 420 pounds, and is capable of reproducing a 20 hz tone at 120 dB! Man this sub sucks.

Whatever.
20hz at 120dB, what distance? Means nothing without that info.

The TN1220 is one great subwoofer. It is one thing to hit the low notes, it is another to be able to distinguish which different instruments hit those notes with detail in "voicing" or timbre.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
The TN1220 is one great subwoofer. It is one thing to hit the low notes, it is another to be able to distinguish which different instruments hit those notes with detail in "voicing" or timbre.
That is like saying I will take the honda civic over the enzo ferrari.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
privateer = defensive twat?

is it just me, or is privateer getting really defensive for no reason? But, if you want to take that route....

I don't personally own a b12-plus/4, but atleast there is a review for it. I have only seen one hint of a review for the 1812, and its was like a 200 word paragraph, and he said, 100db's at 16hz.

ok now lets compare.

the b12-plus/4 was OUTSIDE, UNDER POWERED, and it got to 15hz at 100DB. wow, looks like it topped off your velodyne sir. Then you can at probably add 6 db if it was inside, and then even more with the amp had more power and didn't SHUT DOWN.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but you have terrible people skills.
sheep

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
You know what if you want all volume and no quality then go for it I am done arguing with you morons. If you think your pathetic $1000 sub can take on a $20,000 sub which runs materials and technology far exceeding anything in you pathetic systems so be it. Now you wonder why most people on your site move on to other "high end" forums when they upgrade there systems far beyond 99.9% of people on this site. You can sit back with your mainstream electronics and think wow I have the best and all those high end manufacturers are all show. So if you think your honda civic is better then a dodge viper so be it. Pathetic.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Privateer,

It's an awesome sub, but would you seriously pay that much for it? Like esoteric audio, there is a law of diminishing returns. You said it yourself. This site if more about "best bang for the buck." There is no "bang" in a product costing that much for the return on your investment.

JL Audio is coming out with a line of home theater subs. Have you checked into them? What do you think about their specs? Some of their car subs surpass the specs of the Krell sub. Martin Logan puts out some fantastic subs at prices dwarfing the Krell. Are there any home speakers that can even keep up with a sub capable of those deafening levels?

I guess if you're into Ferrari Enzo's over '06 Z06's, then you can appreciate the badging of a product. If you want shear performance for the dollar, you buy the Z06. It beats the Viper in every aspect except curb appeal. Right?

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
You misread my post. I said is was a good value for a $1500 subwoofer. If you think paying $20,000+ for that kind of performance...well, I ain't gonna stop you.

And if you think the manufacturer's advertised wattage is the end-all of audio specs, well, I suppose the Sunfire company has done well with that kind of business practice......

Your comments comparing a Honda Civic to the Ferrari Enzo or the Dodge Viper is horribly uncalled for. Firstly, you would have to pay me to drive an American death trap, and secondly The Lotus Elise and a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo are probably closer for the price/performance criteria of subwoofers.

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Wow ...

Privateer said:
You know what if you want all volume and no quality then go for it I am done arguing with you morons. If you think your pathetic $1000 sub can take on a $20,000 sub which runs materials and technology far exceeding anything in you pathetic systems so be it. Now you wonder why most people on your site move on to other "high end" forums when they upgrade there systems far beyond 99.9% of people on this site. You can sit back with your mainstream electronics and think wow I have the best and all those high end manufacturers are all show. So if you think your honda civic is better then a dodge viper so be it. Pathetic.
Privateer, As the current owner of a DD-18, and prior owner of a B12-Plus/4, I can assure you a pair of Velodyne DD-18's will easily be outgunned in sheer SPL at any frequency by the SVS.

The Velo does have a killer room interface, and is in its own way an excellent product.

Specifically, in an outdoor 1/2 space, groundplane measurement, the SVS will hit about 110 dB @ 20 Hz @ 2 meters, and do so without audible disortion.

A pair of Velodyne DD-18's will achieve about 103 dB under the same conditions.

The SVS is also a very good performer sonically, as is the Velo, and both are more than enough for most rooms.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Rock&Roll Ninja
Hey whatever you want But I am done responding to you.

Buckeyefan 1
You are one of the good few on this forum.

It's an awesome sub, but would you seriously pay that much for it? Like esoteric audio, there is a law of diminishing returns. You said it yourself. This site if more about "best bang for the buck." There is no "bang" in a product costing that much for the return on your investment.
If I were a millionaire and I wanted the best of the best then yes I would pay that much. Bang for your buck is always important but what some other users are saying is insane.

JL Audio is coming out with a line of home theater subs. Have you checked into them? What do you think about their specs? Some of their car subs surpass the specs of the Krell sub. Martin Logan puts out some fantastic subs at prices dwarfing the Krell. Are there any home speakers that can even keep up with a sub capable of those deafening levels?
I will do that right now. There are some home speakers that can keep up but they will cost you allot.

I guess if you're into Ferrari Enzo's over '06 Z06's, then you can appreciate the badging of a product. If you want shear performance for the dollar, you buy the Z06. It beats the Viper in every aspect except curb appeal. Right?
I picked the enzo because I wanted to compare the worst to the best, between the viper and Z06 it is a toss up.

P

Privateer

Full Audioholic
Privateer, As the current owner of a DD-18, and prior owner of a B12-Plus/4, I can assure you a pair of Velodyne DD-18's will easily be outgunned in sheer SPL at any frequency by the SVS.
Then why did you not save your money and stick with the B12-Plus/4?

S

silversurfer

Senior Audioholic
Privateer said:
craigsub is popular on some of the other boards. If I recall, he got rid of the B12-Plus/4 in favor of another sub, not the DD-18. The DD-18 is his current sub. Correct me if I am wrong Craig, but you sold the B12-Plus/4 in favor of the bass quality of another sub(I don't remember the sub), not for pure SPL.

Craig has had many subs through his house. Do your research on some of the other boards and you will see what he has used, what he has tested, and what he likes.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
viper is better then a Z06....

The viper is better just to let you know. I know what privateer is saying. if I was bill gates, id get the best of the best, but for me the best isn't praticle, and its also different for every person. I like the sound of energy speakers. I have one of their subs, and I like it. I am upgrading to the C-5 towers, cause I like them. If you like the most expensive stuff, great. Go toot your horn where people care. And don't preach it like your right, and their wrong. Its an opinion, yes there are some hard facts, but most is opinion.

And if this forum is full of morons who like mainstream audio products, why are you here?
I could say the same about your taste in music. You like crappy mainstream artists with no skill and talent. WHO CARES. You like what you like.

Now lets leave it at that.(who knew a 17year old would be breaking this up)
sheep

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
Privateer said:
Silversurfer is at least partially correct - I have owned a lot of subwoofers. Probably about 70. The "popular" part he may have missed, though ... :p

I did enjoy the B4+ (aka B12-Plus/4) ... it was the ACI Maestro that replaced it. Fantastic subwoofer. I would likely still have them but a great guy wanted to buy them, far be it from me to keep a guy away from good bass.

Privateer, If you make $80K, get a girlfriend. Trust me, they are even better than an 1812.... :cool:

C

craigsub

Audioholic Chief
The Maestro ...

It measured about 62 mm in total peak to peak movement - the car sub pic DOES resemble the Maestro's driver, but is only a little over 1/3rd the capacity.

There IS a reason why a single, 15 inch, sealed sub costs over $2000 and is STILL a bargain.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
It's probably a good idea to bolt that thing to the floor. Especially hardwood!

Pretty cool website. It's neat they post consumers HT layouts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis