What is the least expensive audio system that you could live with?

J

johndyson10

Audioholic Intern
@johndyson10 Out-Of-Phase bit you to it.

Headphones are an obvious choice when looking for high quality low cost, I just didn't understand OP's topic this way. While I was saving for my gear, I bought a pair of headphones to get me through. If it's the in room audio gear we're talking about, than it's the conectable amp and a pair of small performers.

/QUOTE]
The reason why I brought up using headphones is that sometimes bigger isn't better. It takes a LOT of speaker to get the same sound fidelity (if you really want audio fidelity instead of something else) as headphones. I used to have lots of speakers and a lot of 'things' in my stereo/hi-fi system many years ago. I have to say that I enjoy my current setup much much more. Slghtly off topic: I also used to have pro video decks for collecting my videos -- no-way that VHS or terribly noisy SVHS/EDBeta were NOT good enough. LD was too noisy also. I hated the MPEG noise as from DVD. I used 4:2:2 digital tape (not just DV) for anything but the simplest time shifting. It was more complicated to watch video, or listen to audio than it is today with my SUPER SIMPLE setup.
Bottom line, with technology as it is today and from what I have learned over the years, I have found that simpler is SOOO... much better. It is okay to have/use simple and low-cost things that are for the specific purpose -- just as good or better. Speakers have lots of disadvantages unless one goes to the extremes that I used to go to for 'enjoyment'. The 'system' itself became the center of my enjoyment -- but for some it is part of the hobby, and I understand.
It is 'okay' to want/need speakers for ones purpose, but I am simply offering headphones as a fantastic alternative for simply incredible audio fidelity. The bass on my headphones -- I mean true bass -- is even surprising -- I wouldn't be surprised if then cannot do below 20Hz accurately. (Headphones also have disadvantages -- I am not claiming superiority for every application - simply if the criteria is simple audio fidelity, then speakers have way too many disadvantages for me -- in fact, I don't think anything but near field monitors would give me what I want.) Room effects cause too many issues and can start turning the listening hobby into more of a psuedo-engineering event . I am already too busy trying to work on an 'engineering' problem -- just a simple clean tool is great for both my enjoyment OR my techincal hobby!!!

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I honestly watch most things on my TV downstairs with my wife now. I spend every moment I can with her now. I don't take my loved ones for granted anymore.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I honestly watch most things on my TV downstairs with my wife now. I spend every moment I can with her now. I don't take my loved ones for granted anymore.
Don't they like your system upstairs? :) Kiddin', just enjoy and share your moments!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
$35! (but the price bounces around courtesy of Amazon - $30 to $45 IIRC)
I guess I'm lucky, despite having some very good gear, I can still really enjoy good music on the most modest of systems.
These guys are about as minimalist as it gets! I opened them up and no crossover! I don't care because they are the best sound I have heard (aside from headphones) for $35 and that is without considering they include the amp and have BT? It is an insane deal!

I use these with my Amazon Echo group in the bathroom where I am not going to be upset of the humidity kills them in 3 years. My GF heard them and uses them in her Bedroom with the TV (wired) and her touch (BT). She also has a pair on the TV in her AirBnB instead of a sound bar, plus they can stream music via their phone/BT. It is perfect because it works well, sounds good, and is easily replaced if it gets abused/stolen (which has not been an issue)!

I tried stepping up to a higher model with the premise that Philips really knows how to make a good speaker on the cheap, but neither of the two more expensive models I tried sounded as good as these!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I2PFBJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Funny how things unfold. My nephew is gettin into music (it's such a good feeling I'd almost forgive him for listening Avicii, he's young...:) ).

He has 250$ and now this thread is soooo usefull!

I'm looking at those WHarfedale vr100 and some KEF iq10...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Funny how things unfold. My nephew is gettin into music (it's such a good feeling I'd almost forgive him for listening Avicii, he's young...:) ).

He has 250$ and now this thread is soooo usefull!

I'm looking at those WHarfedale vr100 and some KEF iq10...
Also check the availability/pricing on the JBL LSR305. It generally runs about $300/pr. which includes amps (these are pro-audio monitors)
They are a very impressive "does it all" package. Economy of scale is working in your favor more than you would ever see on the consumer audio side of things - JBL sells tons of these every year.
Note that the Mk II version was recently released. There is also a new LSR-306 mk II which has a 6" woofer, but cost $100 more for the pair ($400 MSRP).

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
For music critical listening I'd be fine with my KEF M100 ear buds from their $30 Christmas season sale at NewEgg attached to my mobile phone with an EQ app to Americanize their British response a little.
Hey, these are back on sale (in blue) and I just ordered a pair.
What EQ app are you using and what adjustments did you make? I'll use that as my starting (and likely ending) point!
Thanks!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1VH-00T9-00002&cm_re=kef_m100-_-1VH-00T9-00002-_-Product

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, these are back on sale (in blue) and I just ordered a pair.
What EQ app are you using and what adjustments did you make? I'll use that as my starting (and likely ending) point!
Thanks!
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1VH-00T9-00002&cm_re=kef_m100-_-1VH-00T9-00002-_-Product
Not sure I remember which settings I used, to be honest. Since I got my miniDSP HA-DSP and Aeon Flows, I haven't really used any software EQ recently.

When I did use apps for that sort of thing, my favorite EQ app was Neutralizer. It plays test tones at octave intervals and lets you dial in the curve by boosting and cutting until all the tones sound the same volume. It doesn't include a bass boost or virtual surround effect, though, and you might benefit from one. Oddly enough, sub bass is boosted on my phone if I enable the "virtualizer" feature of the Audio Fx Widget (which appears no longer to be available on the Google Play store). The "bass boost" feature seems to boost midbass, though, so I don't use it. The functions of virtualizer and bass boost are completely counter-intuitive in Android -- or at least they are on my Pixel, anyway. I don't recall such bass-ackwards behavior on my old LG G2. But I rooted and flashed that phone with Cyanogenmod, which had a proprietary EQ. *shrug*

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Also check the availability/pricing on the JBL LSR305. It generally runs about $300/pr. which includes amps (these are pro-audio monitors)
They are a very impressive "does it all" package. Economy of scale is working in your favor more than you would ever see on the consumer audio side of things - JBL sells tons of these every year.
Note that the Mk II version was recently released. There is also a new LSR-306 mk II which has a 6" woofer, but cost $100 more for the pair ($400 MSRP).
This is very, very nice of you! A very welcome help, I'll check them. Thing is, he is buying from his savings and this time around I'll avoid extending my help. Usually whenever he buys something I pitch in so he can get a better model. Now I just want him to get the feeling for audio equipment, to see what is his money worth. This is why I'm checking second hand. I'm trying to keep it at 250$ what he said he has.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm taking back the entire explanation about second hand, those JBL's are 180$ in my town.

Thanks Mr. KEW! ;)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I'm taking back the entire explanation about second hand, those JBL's are 180$ in my town.

Thanks Mr. KEW! ;)
Taking it back once more. I called them and the guy confidently assured me that monitors are always sold as a single piece, so the price is double of what I wrote and that's too much.

He is getting a Yamaha AVR RX-V392RDS and now I'm hunting for speakers. He is young he goes for a lot of EDM, so bookshelves that can go low are what I'm after.

Best offer so far seem to be a pair of Wharfedale Vardus VR100.

But I'm in no rush.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Taking it back once more. I called them and the guy confidently assured me that monitors are always sold as a single piece, so the price is double of what I wrote and that's too much.

He is getting a Yamaha AVR RX-V392RDS and now I'm hunting for speakers. He is young he goes for a lot of EDM, so bookshelves that can go low are what I'm after.

Best offer so far seem to be a pair of Wharfedale Vardus VR100.

But I'm in no rush.
Too bad, that would have been perfect.
If you were here in the states the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracies would be a no brainer - under $250, an excellent speakers all-around and outstanding bass.

How much is he paying for the Yamaha?
Any chance of including the AVR money in his budget for a pair of powered speakers?
Obviously, depending on his objectives, the AVR may make more sense!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Too bad, that would have been perfect.
If you were here in the states the Philharmonic Affordable Accuracies would be a no brainer - under $250, an excellent speakers all-around and outstanding bass.

How much is he paying for the Yamaha?
Any chance of including the AVR money in his budget for a pair of powered speakers?
Obviously, depending on his objectives, the AVR may make more sense!
Thanks for the advice.

It was 80$ for the Yamaha. I've checked what is available to me, but nothing was really it. Most of powered studio monitors have different connections. I didn't want to bother him with that at first. There is active Wharfedale bluetooth speaker system, but for his money it is way too small to play serious lows and he is after that but on a budget (some would call tight:)). This is a Yamaha AVR 2x50Wpch into 8Ohm load, two channels driven, 20Hz - 20kHz with THD at a very nice 0.04

I missed a Wharfedale Diamond series 9.2 and that would really be a win:
1533499354668.jpeg

These are elegantly executed with front facing ports. He could put them on his desk and later even experiment with some stands and moving the more widely apart.

I'm checking ads for something like this.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Gotta say I'm not sure because I would have to do it all through Craigslist. Through the years I've gone through some pretty decent systems before I got to where I'm at now and am getting in a position to buy what I want.
But for example I bought an awesome Onkyo reciever for $200 original price 1000

L

Lil klipsch

Junior Audioholic
The one I currently have. 2 15in subs, 2 RP280f , 2 RP250s, RP450ca. Onkyo receiver, PS4 ,XBR65X900E.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Gotta say I'm not sure because I would have to do it all through Craigslist. Through the years I've gone through some pretty decent systems before I got to where I'm at now and am getting in a position to buy what I want.
But for example I bought an awesome Onkyo reciever for $200 original price 1000
Damnit I hate it when I post on accident in reply to my own post
Onkyo reciever 200 originally 1000
Elan theaterpoint thp650sl's 5 for $250 each one was over $600 starting off.
Scored 2 Bic PL 200 subwoofers for 300 total those are decent subs on a budget
And got 2 definitive towers and definitive clr 2000 center channel for 300 originally that stuff was way over 1500 easy peasy.
So for about $1050 I had a pretty fun 7.2 system which I was rockin till I bought the house and reached some goals on my play money.
I'm telling you in my opinion Craigslist if your patient do your research and make sure your doing business with the right person is the way to go where I live. There's like 3 big cities right around each other where I live and I find crazy deals on they're all the time.
Just saw some Polk towers those lsim 707?s I believe the ones that go for like 4000 a pair on sale for 1500 for both. If I hadn't committed to a certain direction I'd have sprung on those!
So I guess for me it's not what budget set could I live with its really what budget system can I come up with on my Craigslist baby!!!!!! Lol :p

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My newest "least expensive" 5.1/dual-duty 2.1 music system is almost there. I'll receive a KEF Reference Model 100 (1991-1994 vintage) center speaker tomorrow, $115. I picked up the pair of L-R mains yesterday, the Hafler 300 (1988-1991 vintage) floor standing speakers, $200. The 2009 KEF iQ10's for surrounds were a gift, the Denon AVR-1912 receiver was originally bought by me in 2012, given away in 2015, and gifted back a few weeks ago. The Sony BDP S480 BluRay player was a gift, the Samsung TV was inherited.

I've got just that $315 of "current money" into it now, looking for the right sub at the right price, hopefully beating the $511.25 cost of the last 5.1 system I put in the guest room with much lower quality components.

So far, so good. I'm happy!

Edit: Well, looks like I'm going over the goal. I'll need a streaming device, probably want my Bluesound Vault 2 back downstairs on my KEF R series system. Oh well, nice try.

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Something near field like this shelf system. These tend to have better sound than many boom boxes back in the day. I actually survived with one of these until a customer at work gave me a more substantial system. These end up claiming 250wrms or better in a lot of cases. At any rate, it ends up being enough headroom near field. A girlfriend had one similar and I remember it surprised me when I heard it in her bedroom.

Anything less than this really, and I just would not bother. There is a newer version of this for about $150.
1534046892824.png

Thankfully, Americans throw a lot of good stuff away. With a little luck and some homework, a person could build yesterday's flagship system today, for pennies on the dollar, and still compete with the best of today, and in many cases, likely exceed it.

Now we have inexpensive chip amps that deliver surprising sound quality, some of which come with 2.1 capabilities. There really is no reason to do without pleasing SQ due to economics.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I picked up a pair of mordant short 902 for $30 and an integra dtm 5.3 I from a buddy for $0. So I had a pretty decent 2 channel for the money and I actually enjoyed it...they got me by for about 2 years then I bought the ultras.

I think I'm at a place I'm content and can live with for a long time. The ultras $850, outlaw 1050 $120, denon dvd2900 $30, 2 rsl speed 10s $800. Its crazy to think that over the last year I dropped close to 2k to get where I'm 100% content. And that's just 2 channel, my wife is gonna trip when I piece a theater back together lol
Gave the integra and mordaunts to a friend over the weekend, he asked how much I said nothing. His jaw dropped when we got it hooked up and kept insisting to give me money. I told him the little kid in a candy store reaction was all I needed. Always feels good to hook someone up, especially knowing they will enjoy it as much as I did.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis