What is the least expensive audio system that you could live with?

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Comb filtering?
Toole talks about this quite a lot, whenever there are two speakers playing the same sound, there is going to be a notch in the FR, if the speakers are 30 degrees apart, it's centered at around 2khz. Even in a normally reflective room, which alleviates some of the worst of it, it's still around a 3-5dB dip. Changing the distance between the speakers (closer vs farther apart) only raises or lowers the notch frequency, but it still falls smack dab in the middle of the speech intelligibility range and where our hearing is the most sensitive. https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/room-reflections-human-adaptation/what-do-listeners-prefer

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Not just speakers, but the whole system cost (perhaps excluding cables and source player).
excluding cables and source makes no sense, they ARE part of the system !

Regardless, I can't see myself truly 'enjoying' anything less than I have now. Realistically when I get to point when we downsize then it will be a different story.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My former cheapo system was a pair of FS52s that I picked up new for $50, a $50 Audiosource Amp100 and an old DVD player I picked up for $20-30 and some laying around speaker wire and left over video cables for the interconnects. Honestly, that little setup was very listenable for around $150. I could live with it.

The recent cheap system is an Emotiva X A-100 with a pair of closeout Emotiva X-Sats, so that would be about $300. That system received a bunch of hand-me-downs from the main setup so it is now my GR A/V-1s and Oppo 105 (acting as a pre) in it lol.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
This is a really interesting topic. It asks much more knowledge, coping, creativity and imagination than just having 10k and going to a forum like AH asking for a good advice and ending up with good equipment.

Across the pond, here in my parts, I would go for second hand Q Acoustics or Canton (both are now known in AH forums), cca 80$ and an AVR for another 80-100$; under 200$ could keep me for a long time (there are some Wharfdale Vardus vr-100 speakers for 110$).

I’d be perfectly happy connecting my PC to it and listening to mp3. This is why I don’t list source in the price as you always already own a computer for other reasons.

10$ would get me all the cables I’d need for this set up.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
A small clip-on media player with FM and good over-the-ear headphones.

Done. I'm there.

(even a phone with good over-the-ear headphones would work for me)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Integra AVR(got mine for $50 mint used) from a4l + a cheap laptop fan, Used Jamo SUB- 200 packs a punch for a 8 inch sub got mine for $40 on CL($40-90 CL/EB)/Dayton 1200 and a pair of Saga(NXG) bookshelf(Z/Shady please review them) $75 each. Edit + Dayton center(on clearance $15+ship) Cables/Wires: EB/Zon/Mono. About $300ish or less.

Last edited:
J

johndyson10

Audioholic Intern
I am answering differently than most -- alll I need for a great system for all of my own listening (and assuming accees to excellent digital copies without lots of compression -- unlike most pepole), is a set of really good (not elite) headphones like Beyerdynamic 770 or 990 -- good sennheiser or other brands would also be acceptable, and a very good and boring audio card with low noise and diistortion. Possibly an excellent add-on DAC would be nice for the headphones (that extra boost of performance and maybe a bit more convienience when playing material on a portable computer.) Some day, if really needed -- a great pair of monitor speakers might be nice.

The big problem with that system (which is what I have now -- essentially writing software for recording pros) is that getting access to excellent quality digital audio is kind of tricky... So many 'studio' releases are compressed or processed to the hilt -- but I somewhat uncommonly have ways of dealing with the all-too-common over-processed audio.
So, in most cases (other than snake-oil based systems), the biggest impediment to quality is the source (including vinyl because of the troubles with that also) material. (In my case, I judge quality as being 'accuracy' and not necessaily 'over equalized' or being matrixed or timed for a crazy stereo image.)
John

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Toole talks about this quite a lot, whenever there are two speakers playing the same sound, there is going to be a notch in the FR, if the speakers are 30 degrees apart, it's centered at around 2khz. Even in a normally reflective room, which alleviates some of the worst of it, it's still around a 3-5dB dip. Changing the distance between the speakers (closer vs farther apart) only raises or lowers the notch frequency, but it still falls smack dab in the middle of the speech intelligibility range and where our hearing is the most sensitive. https://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/room-reflections-human-adaptation/what-do-listeners-prefer

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Ok, I know about the 2kHz notch. While it technically is a matter of comb-filtering, it is not normally thought of as a traditional comb-filtering effect, more like a cancellation created null. Incidentally it can be defeated by simply placing a large divider between the speakers with the listener at the end of it. This is why every audiophile should place a wall between their speakers and only listen at the end of the wall where the output from each speaker can only reach one of the ears. Anyone who listen to a pair of speakers where the speakers are in the same room is not a true audiophile!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
A small clip-on media player with FM and good over-the-ear headphones.

Done. I'm there.

(even a phone with good over-the-ear headphones would work for me)
That phone is worth a decent home system though lol. Fact is, we all have one (or two like a few of us thanks to work) though. I must have my music, so that often means tablet or phone and I am good with that too.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I know about the 2kHz notch. While it technically is a matter of comb-filtering, it is not normally thought of as a traditional comb-filtering effect, more like a cancellation created null. Incidentally it can be defeated by simply placing a large divider between the speakers with the listener at the end of it. This is why every audiophile should place a wall between their speakers and only listen at the end of the wall where the output from each speaker can only reach one of the ears. Anyone who listen to a pair of speakers where the speakers are in the same room is not a true audiophile!
yeah, but how do you watch anything?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
yeah, but how do you watch anything?
Since watching things takes away concentration from appreciating the sound, I have voluntarily had chemically-induced blindness for some years now. It is a reversible condition though, for those occasions where I receive a new power conditioner for my mono phono-stage pre-amp where the connections aren't labeled in braille as they should be.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Since watching things takes away concentration from appreciating the sound, I have voluntarily had chemically-induced blindness for some years now. It is a reversible condition though, for those occasions where I receive a new power conditioner for my mono phono-stage pre-amp where the connections aren't labeled in braille as they should be.
Come one man, just use two screens lol. Or VR

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have been looking at these. Does the R200c keep up with the R500 pair? Or would you have rather moved up to the R600c?
I love the R200c and have never felt for one second that I should bump up. The whole set I have has turned out to be ideal for me because I listen to music far more than I use it for movies, yet with movies it's awesome.

You should know I sit too far from the 55" screen at 13 feet, yet the center speaker still delivers perfectly.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I love the R200c and have never felt for one second that I should bump up. The whole set I have has turned out to be ideal for me because I listen to music far more than I use it for movies, yet with movies it's awesome.

You should know I sit too far from the 55" screen at 13 feet, yet the center speaker still delivers perfectly.
Assume crossover is 80hz at AVR for both the towers and the center with your SVS PB2000 sub, correct? What about the R100? 80hz? Or higher for those?

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I could not go backwards in my system at all. In ways I feel I have been taking a step forward , then backward then forward and never getting anywhere in my newer system designs.
I'm a flagship receiver, speaker, TV , source kinda guy and don't feel comfortable with step down models giving up this for saving pennies. I'd rather own what I like and spend the money to do so. I never have regrets on how much money I invest in my systems.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Assume crossover is 80hz at AVR for both the towers and the center with your SVS PB2000 sub, correct? What about the R100? 80hz? Or higher for those?
My sub is an SVS SB2000, not the PB2000. I have the R500 pair crossed over at 70hz and the R200c at 80hz. My R100 surrounds are closer to the wall and not using the port plug, so they seem fine at 90hz.

My thinking is that neither my ears nor the almost basic level of Audyssey aren't going to be as good at measuring, so I expect dramatic changes once I've done the final upgrade to me T758 receiver and jump up to Dirac Live.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My sub is an SVS SB2000, not the PB2000. I have the R500 pair crossed over at 70hz and the R200c at 80hz. My R100 surrounds are closer to the wall and not using the port plug, so they seem fine at 90hz.

My thinking is that neither my ears nor the almost basic level of Audyssey aren't going to be as good at measuring, so I expect dramatic changes once I've done the final upgrade to me T758 receiver and jump up to Dirac Live.
Nice setup!

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
@johndyson10 Out-Of-Phase bit you to it.

Headphones are an obvious choice when looking for high quality low cost, I just didn't understand OP's topic this way. While I was saving for my gear, I bought a pair of headphones to get me through. If it's the in room audio gear we're talking about, than it's the conectable amp and a pair of small performers.

A true Dual Monaural! Or even a Dual Mural. A wall of channel separation. Crosstalk lower than in prisons. Or imagine you live in this house on the Belgian-Netherland border:

and you have one channel on the Netherland power grid and the other on the Belgian.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nice setup!
Thank you. Of course it was bought a couple years ago when prices weren't this average of 30% off that they are now as they clear stocks in preparation for a series update. Buying the R500 as floor demo stock, the R100 at 2/3rds the regular price during a Christmas sale, and a discount from my dealer on the R200c did get me the set at about the current pricing. Would have been nice to get it all at these prices without haggling. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis