What is the least expensive audio system that you could live with?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Like the title says, what is the least expensive audio system that you could live with and see yourself enjoying? Not just speakers, but the whole system cost (perhaps excluding cables and source player).

Here is something I think I could make do with:
Pyle PTA2 Mini 2x40 amp (assuming it works as advertised)
Monoprice MP-65RT or Dayton MK402 speakers (although I would prefer the MK442 to either, but we are talking minimal, and I could deal with the MP-65RT or MK402, especially considering there is a tone control on that amp).
Monoprice 12" sub or Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1000- With those speakers, I am going to need a sub. I love my bass too much to go without, and similarly priced full range speakers I do not think would have equal bass quality. I would really want to have some experience with these subs to know for sure which would be adequate though but I suspect they would be enough to do the trick. I think the 8" versions would be too badly hobbled for my tastes.

Sure, it doesn't add up to the best system in the world, but I think that could end up being a pretty listenable system in the end, with some care put into setup. The end cost would be under $300. After closely experiencing a bunch of really cheap speakers, I was surprised at how listenable they turned out to be. They were all flawed in one way or another, of course, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying music or movies when I got them going. Needless to say, I would prefer higher-end systems, but if I was on a deserted island (with a power source, likely solar panel based), I could listen to a system like this without being constantly reminded of some shortcoming that might plague an even more compromised system.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I enjoy the generic 4 speaker sound system which came with my car (AM / FM / CD). :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Philarmonic aa plus 2nd hand avr. Total about same $300, but probably better speakers for music
Cheaper alternative would be to build cnote kit

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Like the title says, what is the least expensive audio system that you could live with and see yourself enjoying? Not just speakers, but the whole system cost (perhaps excluding cables and source player).

Here is something I think I could make do with:

Pyle PTA2 Mini 2x40 amp (assuming it works as advertised)

Monoprice MP-65RT or Dayton MK402 speakers (although I would prefer the MK442 to either, but we are talking minimal, and I could deal with the MP-65RT or MK402, especially considering there is a tone control on that amp).

Monoprice 12" sub or Dayton SUB1200 or SUB1000- With those speakers, I am going to need a sub. I love my bass too much to go without, and similarly priced full range speakers I do not think would have equal bass quality. I would really want to have some experience with these subs to know for sure which would be adequate though but I suspect they would be enough to do the trick. I think the 8" versions would be too badly hobbled for my tastes.

Sure, it doesn't add up to the best system in the world, but I think that could end up being a pretty listenable system in the end, with some care put into setup. The end cost would be under $300. After closely experiencing a bunch of really cheap speakers, I was surprised at how listenable they turned out to be. They were all flawed in one way or another, of course, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying music or movies when I got them going. Needless to say, I would prefer higher-end systems, but if I was on a deserted island (with a power source, likely solar panel based),I could listen to a system like this without being constantly reminded of some shortcoming that might plague an even more compromised system.
That's a difficult question to answer, as no two people will have the same priorities. There are more important things in life than audiophilia, and it takes a special kind of snob to sacrifice his family's welfare for his hobby. On the other hand, if money is not an issue, then by all means the least expensive should be the best available within one's budget.

It also depends on the purpose of the sound system. At work I'm content with my Harman Kardon champagne glass shaped PC speakers, ancient Creative Xmod DAC, and Equalizer APO software. With some patient tuning, it sounds pretty nice. For music critical listening I'd be fine with my KEF M100 ear buds from their $30 Christmas season sale at NewEgg attached to my mobile phone with an EQ app to Americanize their British response a little. On my living room television where my wife does not allow ostentatious technology or visible wires, I'm fine with my Pioneer speaker base, although its response is anything but flat or extended. In my truck I don't expect an audiophile experience -- and indeed, I'm still using the factory system, where I'm more likely to play TTS-rendered ebooks from my phone or NPR news stories from the radio.

In my home theater / 2-channel man cave, I prefer better speakers with upgraded drivers offering a higher BL(x) so I can listen at any volume (within reason) without fatigue or loss of resolution. I could listen to a pair of Affordable Accuracy monitors, WaveCrest HVL-1, or JBL LSR305 with a Monoprice 9723 subwoofer for a while, but then I think I'd be eager to switch to my headphones for extended critical listening. 10-years-ago me would probably be fine with those options. Today me would probably shop for a used pair of Polk LSi, Verus Grands, Atlantic Technology, or similar before opting for a new pair with $20 driver equivalents. For an amp, psh, whatevs. I'd hit up Craigslist for a $75 AVR.

If I were planning to buy the cheapest system with the best sound today, it would be these Infinity Reference One speakers or possibly a pair of Jeff Bagby Quarks (mostly because I've always been curious to hear them) with this Onkyo AVR (for which I'd offer $75) and this AudioSource 15" sub. Total ~$264 shipped or picked up. The AVR and sub may be ugly, but this system should sound outstanding for the price with proper tuning.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Kinda like one of those stranded on a desert isle with one album what would you want sort of questions....something that is just so far outside the realm of possibilities I normally wouldn't even give much thought to it. However, I did just have a thought like this recently when playing with my new JBL LSR305s....with a simple source and even without a sub I wouldn't go batshit crazy too quickly.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I think I already have it installed in my guest room. A pair of KEF iQ10 on used Paradigm S-26 stands, powered by an older Denon AVR-1912.
Speakers: a gift from my son in 2014
Receiver: a store demo bought for $450 in 2012
Stands: picked up off Craigslist for $80

Right now the only source is my Bluesound Vault 2, but that'll be replaced by Node N100 for no more than $250. Sounds fantastic.

I could buy that receiver off Craigslist today for under $100. It goes PLENTY loud, sounds good.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I picked up a pair of mordant short 902 for $30 and an integra dtm 5.3 I from a buddy for $0. So I had a pretty decent 2 channel for the money and I actually enjoyed it...they got me by for about 2 years then I bought the ultras.

I think I'm at a place I'm content and can live with for a long time. The ultras $850, outlaw 1050 $120, denon dvd2900 $30, 2 rsl speed 10s $800. Its crazy to think that over the last year I dropped close to 2k to get where I'm 100% content. And that's just 2 channel, my wife is gonna trip when I piece a theater back together lol

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
One of mtrycrafts' boomboxes if he wanted to sell it to me! :D:D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I don’t know if it is worth it to live without at least 5.1 surround sound with a decent ported 12” sub. :) LOL

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
The 2-channel system I've got in my guest room will get a subwoofer added first. Over time, I'll find matching speakers and end up with a 5.1 system like I had in there up until I gave it to my daughter & her BF when he bought a house.

Probably end up with floorstanders for the front, a center, and move the iQ10's to surround duty.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I don’t know if it is worth it to live without at least 5.1 surround sound with a decent ported 12” sub. :) LOL
A good pair of speakers that are properly setup can image so well that I wouldn't cry for not having a surround sound system. I do think a center speaker is pretty important for anyone who aren't listening at an equal distance from the speakers ie outside of the sweet spot, at least for stereo systems that can't do time-intensity trading, which is most of them.

NorseMythology

NorseMythology

Junior Audioholic
Probably what I have now, I have been living with it but am dying inside without a subwoofer.

AVR $130
Speakers - free
Speaker Wires - free

Total $130

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I've never heard a pair of speakers image a phantom center as discretely as a real center, even higher end ones. I can get time intensity trading to work with my RP-160ms if I toe them in 15 degrees off axis, and while the center image does seem to hang in the middle, the timbre changes slightly depending on how far off center you are due to comb filtering, and this often lands in the 2-4khz range which is important for dialogue intelligibility. Others may disagree, but I don't see it as a replacement for a good center speaker.
A good pair of speakers that are properly setup can image so well that I wouldn't cry for not having a surround sound system. I do think a center speaker is pretty important for anyone who aren't listening at an equal distance from the speakers ie outside of the sweet spot, at least for stereo systems that can't do time-intensity trading, which is most of them.
Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I've never heard a pair of speakers image a phantom center as discretely as a real center, even higher end ones. I can get time intensity trading to work with my RP-160ms if I toe them in 15 degrees off axis, and while the center image does seem to hang in the middle, the timbre changes slightly depending on how far off center you are due to comb filtering, and this often lands in the 2-4khz range which is important for dialogue intelligibility. Others may disagree, but I don't see it as a replacement for a good center speaker.

Comb filtering?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

My GE Triton 2 is very convincing as a phantom center, these speakers image very well. More than one person was surprised when I told them the center speaker wasn't even powered at the time.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I think I could live with a set of the JBL LSR monitors and a RPi streamer for a long time and be very content with the quality of the audio!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
My GE Triton 2 is very convincing as a phantom center, these speakers image very well. More than one person was surprised when I told them the center speaker wasn't even powered at the time.
My KEF R500's are really good at that too. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis