What gear would you choose to put together with 10k or upt to 20k?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry I disagree on the 'no need for a killer sub' on a 2 channel system. Assuming we're talking music, IMO the sub quality is far more important than that required for movies. As far as the 6k or a 10k, yeah, all bets are off if one throws used into the equation.
Have you had the Opportunity? I have had a sit down with just two speakers in a room 20’ by 20’ with a Pre-Amp, Source and just a two channel Amp. The two speakers where: Klipsch Heritage Series La Scala ll
need I say more? All speaker’s are not Created equal. Going up even higher would blow these I just listed. Never said on this Thread the gear or speakers had to be new.:) Even at new retail still, find the right Audio Dealer and Dreams and aspirations are possible.

Last edited:
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Have you had the Opportunity? I have had a sit down with just two speakers in a room 20’ by 20’ with a Pre-Amp, Source and just a two channel Amp. The two speakers where: Klipsch Heritage Series La Scala ll
need I say more? All speaker’s are not Created equal. Going up even higher would blow these I just listed. Never said on this Thread the gear or speakers had to be new.:) Even at new retail still, find the right Audio Dealer and Dreams and aspirations are possible.
first off, given your room dimensions unless you're properly treated(acoustically) I'm not sure 'proper bass' is in the equation. A square room is never good ..........

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
first off, given your room dimensions unless you're properly treated(acoustically) I'm not sure 'proper bass' is in the equation. A square room is never good ..........
Actually it’s been ummm since the mid 80’s if I remember slept since than the 20x20 was just a Example, If remember right room may not have been that big or Square or rectangle point was No Added Sub Was needed. Just a note, Surround was In It’s infancy back than.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not going to break it down item by item but basically the bulk of that cash would go to the speakers if we're counting the fact we already have a dedicated room which a lot of us do myself included so amps treatments all that is already there

So my three picks and Id have to fly out to debut because I'm torn between all 3 and some of these because there is no way I could handle unpacking handling returning some of these beasts is

#1 JTR

#2 RBH

3# JBL the HDI lineup specifically

20k into any of those systems done done done

I'll edit this post later and actually put what speakers Is pick into each one I gotta get ready for work :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry I disagree on the 'no need for a killer sub' on a 2 channel system.
Would you agree that everyone has a different definition of "killer bass"?

I might want my bones to rattle while watching "Sense and Sensibility" or "Howard's End", but others might hate that.

Thus, one person might want more bass and another person might want less bass.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm not going to break it down item by item but basically the bulk of that cash would go to the speakers if we're counting the fact we already have a dedicated room which a lot of us do myself included so amps treatments all that is already there

So my three picks and Id have to fly out to debut because I'm torn between all 3 and some of these because there is no way I could handle unpacking handling returning some of these beasts is

#1 JTR

#2 RBH

3# JBL the HDI lineup specifically

20k into any of those systems done done done

I'll edit this post later and actually put what speakers Is pick into each one I gotta get ready for work :(
Danno! Great choices. I would add a couple more for you to audition.

Man, there are so many good choices these days!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Reading stuff like this adds to my heightened sense of frugality. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm

If the above is true, why would I spend 10K or 20K on a system. Now I feel like I've been tricked and fooled all this time.
We might poke fun, but I can't blame you for not even "thinking" about such lavish spendings ($10-20K).

Ideas/dreams can be "dangerous". I mean that's how almost everything starts, right, with an "idea" or a "dream"? :D

I think the purpose of threads like these is give some people ideas about such 10K-20K systems. And it's not just about naming some systems. It's open-ended.

1. Should they spend $10K-20K in the first place? There are many more important things in life than audio systems.

2. If they are truly burning a hole in their deep pockets and must spend, what should they be looking at?

3. What can they get for $10K-20K if they bought used vs new?

4. What can they get for $10K-20K if they bought from ID vs B&M brands? What kind of discounts can they get with ID vs B&M?

5. Do they want separate subwoofers or just buy towers with dual 12" woofers?

6. After buying these systems, how should they be setting up their systems - mono-amp or bi-amp their speakers? Are all bi-amping a waste? I don't think so (can of worms). :D

7. Should they use Auto Room Correction (another can of worms)? :D

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Danno! Great choices. I would add a couple more for you to audition.

Man, there are so many good choices these days!
Man Legacy makes the coolest looking gear. My problem is Is Id never want to get an AT screen because Id want everybody to see my stuff!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Man Legacy makes the coolest looking gear. My problem is Is Id never want to get an AT screen because Id want everybody to see my stuff!
Lol. Same here. I’m not sold on the AT screen thing. I think off screen pans are better/wider when speakers are not behind the screen. It can look cleaner but I like to see gear. If I had a crazy over the top themed room or something...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Lol. Same here. I’m not sold on the AT screen thing. I think off screen pans are better/wider when speakers are not behind the screen. It can look cleaner but I like to see gear. If I had a crazy over the top themed room or something...
Has anyone measured the speakers With vs Without these AT screens?

Just wondering if there are any objective adverse effects from these screens.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General

Here is a review on an AT screen from 2012 from Audioholics.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Here is a review on an AT screen from 2012 from Audioholics.
But there's no measurements of the speakers (before/after) to prove that the screens don't adversely affect the response.

For example what if the response is +/- 3dB without the AT screen, but it's +/- 6dB with the AT screen?

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

Seems like I’ve seen reports over the years, but it’s not something I cared about so I didn’t retain the information. IIRC the quality of the screen material makes a big difference. Get what you pay for I guess?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Seems like I’ve seen reports over the years, but it’s not something I cared about so I didn’t retain the information. IIRC the quality of the screen material makes a big difference. Get what you pay for I guess?
Yeah, but like speakers and electronics, is "quality" proportional to price when it comes to AT screens? :D

When I Googled for "Do AT screens adversely affect speaker measurements or sound", I couldn't find any measurements to prove that at least one AT screen has been proven to NOT adversely affect the speaker measurements.

We hear people say that good AT screens don't affect the sound, but that's just like someone doing speaker or AVR/AVP/Amp reviews and not have any measurements to show us.

Where is the proof?

If we don't care about measurements and what these AT screens actually do to the speakers, should we be spending $10K-20K? :D

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
But there's no measurements of the speakers (before/after) to prove that the screens don't adversely affect the response.

For example what if the response is +/- 3dB without the AT screen, but it's +/- 6dB with the AT screen?
I remember when I was doing my home theater the installer I bought the screen from told me that it does affect the frequency response enough that eq may need to be applied I can't remember how much but he did say it was there

Still wish I wouldve gone with one tho I had a plan to get around Williams issue with the sound stage being too tight if they are all behind the screen

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Here’s one thing I found...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, but like speakers and electronics, is "quality" proportional to price when it comes to AT screens? :D

When I Googled for "Do AT screens adversely affect speaker measurements or sound", I couldn't find any measurements to prove that at least one AT screen has been proven to NOT adversely affect the speaker measurements.

We hear people say that good AT screens don't affect the sound, but that's just like someone doing speaker or AVR/AVP/Amp reviews and not have any measurements to show us.

Where is the proof?

If we don't care about measurements and what these AT screens actually do to the speakers, should we be spending $10K-20K? :D
I've had an AT screen in both of my theaters and didn't notice any coloration. Did it lower the output at all? Dunno, didn't seem like it in either. Sound is crisp and clear as it is when I changed out speakers and put the theater speakers in my office. They sound the same.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I've had an AT screen in both of my theaters and didn't notice any coloration. Did it lower the output at all? Dunno, didn't seem like it in either. Sound is crisp and clear as it is when I changed out speakers and put the theater speakers in my office. They sound the same.
Probably like speaker grilles, then?

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Probably like speaker grilles, then?
I would have to figure it's along those lines. I will be getting an AT screen in my next theater. I'd like to think if the sound was that bad, there would be a ton of reviews out there talking about it. I just don't think it's enough to spark the "oh my gosh my whole system sounds off" type of reaction. I know with AT screens it's kind of the "get what you pay for" type product.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I would have to figure it's along those lines. I will be getting an AT screen in my next theater. I'd like to think if the sound was that bad, there would be a ton of reviews out there talking about it. I just don't think it's enough to spark the "oh my gosh my whole system sounds off" type of reaction. I know with AT screens it's kind of the "get what you pay for" type product.
Well, we tend to "worry", overthink, and talk about a lot of things that we can't really "hear".

For example, people compare electronics with SNR, THD, Crosstalk numbers. In real life, we can't really hear the difference in these. But we still talk about them all the time.

The "standard" frequency response is +/-3dB, but can we really hear the difference if it's +/-4dB, +/-5dB, or +/-6dB? Yet, if a speaker has a FR of +/-4dB, +/-5dB, or +/-6dB, a lot of people will probably say that they won't sound great just because of those numbers.

But, I do understand that at the end of the day, it's not about any numbers, but about the actual sound you hear. So if it sounds great, then it is great. :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis