What gear would you choose to put together with 10k or upt to 20k?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Legacy Audio - yes I am, but not B&W.

Would be cool to be a dealer for B&W. But I'm not.

I always love the aesthetics of the 802/800, though. When I had those 802D2, I always worried about those fragile synthetic diamond tweeters. And it was at my old house where I didn't have a LOCKED room. So any guests could come by to mess with my speakers.
So you went and built a House 5,000 Square-foot house Built around Your Dedicated HT thats built like a Bank Vault? No wonder I didn’t understand when you kept tell me that only You have the key code to your door! All this time I thought you where just pulling my leg. Synthetic diamonds huh? Come on ADTG you can tell us, you Probably like, Walter White huh after all you are a Pharmacist ain’t too far from a chemist. Probably got underground Lab huh?;)

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Wait, how do we waste imaginary money? LOL :)
You just won! Was waiting for someone, anyone to get the Whole point of this Thread! It’s a Fun Thread where talking up specs is ok, Andrew and I talked about starting a Thread just for Shots and Giggles.
Smack talking is more than welcome! If you want to say Golden Ear are Amps not Peoples go ahead. :D Oh you just Won 20K to spend on a chat with ADTG on gear or speakers use your Imaginary money to spend freely! Again Congratulations! Snakeeyes!

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
If I had $10k to throw at some new equipment, let’s see....

Using my current outlaw receiver as the pre-amp I’d likely just add two of their M-2200 mono blocks and spend the rest on a pair of speakers. Like Focal Kanta2’s or top of the line Salk’s.

$20k I might go with,
Bryston, BP-26 Pre-Amp and a 4B3 dual mono power amp.
Then with the rest I’d again likely go with the Kanta2’s or Salk’s.

All of the above is well beyond anything I really need but it would be pretty nice all the same.
Bryston amps, now we got one who knows what it takes to step up deep into a Audiophiles world. So far Gryph has the lead. Any other Horse would like to Challenge? ADTG posted iup photo of some high-end speakers . AH is waiting.

M

mx416

Audioholic
Legacy focus se =10,500
2 x rythmik g25Hp = 5000
Parasound A21+ =3000
the rest for a preamp/processor
:cool:

Ps might be slightly over 20k

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Legacy focus se =10,500
2 x rythmik g25Hp = 5000
Parasound A21+ =3000

Okay! We gotta 2.2 nicely done up right! Dude is Serious about music! Umm what Source would you use? Hell what you picked out just pick a 4K player they Hi-Res anyways 200 should do. You Definitely get a pass on busting budget by 200. Well gotta get Good cables, Okay here’s 600 on AH gift card money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Legacy focus se =10,500
2 x rythmik g25Hp = 5000
Parasound A21+ =3000

The Focus SE has dual 12” woofers similar to the RBH SVT tower.

You still want dual subs in addition to that? :D

If I had the Focus, I would remove the jumpers and bi-amp those dual 12” woofers with external Sub amps and make the bass “partially active”. Then they would become like Active subwoofers.

Now the pre-pro is important. So you gotta finish the list! Which pre-pro? :D

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

If I had the Focus, I would remove the jumpers and bi-amp those dual 12” woofers with external Sub amps and make the bass “partially active”. Then they would become like Active subwoofers.

looks sweet gotta say, Beauty and the beast all in one package . Think Turbo charge Salks, sounds great but will kick you in your chest at the same time.:)

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
This post is wasteful and needless, lol. There's pretty much nothing that's not going to require wasting or spending money needlessly. First of all, "wasting" and "needlessly" are pretty poorly defined so that might help. Have you ever driven to the store for something you didn't need and spend money on it? Restaurants? Fast food? Soda? Ever go to the theater? When you can cook at home, drink water and wait for a rental I would say that's wasteful and needless.

So how would (did) you spend your money for audio? Do you stick with entry level gear and/or only buy used or something? Or did you sell all your gear and donate all your audio/video money to charity, hang up the golden ears and not get anything? How much do you think is a reasonable amount to spend on audio gear? I'm assuming you've spent some money on audio gear somewhere down the line or was it all gifted to you?
I don't know, I just have a heightened sense of frugality since were on what seems like the precipice of a great global economic downturn. (don't want to use the other D word:))

I even tried to come up with an imaginary audio system for the purpose of participating in this thread. However, the aforementioned "heightened sense of frugality" wouldn't allow me to be to do it, it kept me from being imaginary.

With that said, yes I do go to the theaters to watch movies and 90% of the time I go early in the mornings when it's cheap and by myself. I drink only water at the movies which is free. I also have AMC membership for discounts.

Entry level gear is subjective, one man's high-end gear is another man's entry level gear. I usually keep most of my audio gear until it stops functioning. For example, I've only owned to sets of speakers in 25 years. I buy used and discount quite often.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Reading stuff like this adds to my heightened sense of frugality. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm

If the above is true, why would I spend 10K or 20K on a system. Now I feel like I've been tricked and fooled all this time.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Reading stuff like this adds to my heightened sense of frugality. http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_marco.htm
That's an interesting site that I've not seen before...

I just kind of skimmed through their philosophy and I liked what I saw. I'm gonna dig through some more. If their methodology and testing is sound this could be enlightening and maybe even fun.

Thanks for the link!

*Edit:
If the above is true, why would I spend 10K or 20K on a system. Now I feel like I've been tricked and fooled all this time.
I feel like a lot of people have been tricked and fooled, myself included. I bought into the cable thing my first time out with a home system and spent a couple hundred on a few rca cables. After learning some more I realize I was suckered by a convincing sales pitch and it makes me angry. If I can contribute to helping others avoid the same scams then I will and do.

That's what this site is all about! Busting myths, dbx testing, empirical evidence, measurements... this is the stuff gene lives for!

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't know, I just have a heightened sense of frugality since were on what seems like the precipice of a great global economic downturn. (don't want to use the other D word:))

I even tried to come up with an imaginary audio system for the purpose of participating in this thread. However, the aforementioned "heightened sense of frugality" wouldn't allow me to be to do it, it kept me from being imaginary.

With that said, yes I do go to the theaters to watch movies and 90% of the time I go early in the mornings when it's cheap and by myself. I drink only water at the movies which is free. I also have AMC membership for discounts.

Entry level gear is subjective, one man's high-end gear is another man's entry level gear. I usually keep most of my audio gear until it stops functioning. For example, I've only owned to sets of speakers in 25 years. I buy used and discount quite often.
You know, I do understand your heightened sense of frugality. These are unsure times, I get it. This is just for fun tho. I don't think anyone is running out and dropping 10 or 20K on anything right now. You don't think it's fun spending some imaginary money on your dream system?

I know you have to have an idea of a cost no object dream system. It doesn't even have to fall into a certain dollar amount if that helps. If you could have your choice of just about anything what would you get?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Just add a flagship AVR, Source 4K player, middle of the road 65” 4K UHD tv you’ll need that for OSD good audio rack cables, done.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just add a flagship AVR, Source 4K player, middle of the road 65” 4K UHD tv you’ll need that for OSD good audio rack cables, done.
So $10K speakers + $5K subs + $3K amp = $18K.

Then add an AVR and 65” 4K TV?

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
So $10K speakers + $5K subs + $3K amp = $18K.

Then add an AVR and 65” 4K TV?
As you can see I haven’t posted up a 10K or 20K setup yet on here. I believe I can put together a 10K retail setup ;) for under 6K if amp is added 6.500. only need two channel amp. a if on sub won’t need no killer sub save a lot there throw 60% at speakers;) maybe 5k if used amp

M

mx416

Audioholic

More bass the better! Got to have the deep subwooferage no matter what the system. Plus, got to be able to place the bass to match the room. Cheers!

I trust you folks to recommend a great prepro/source to round out this system.

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
More bass the better! Got to have the deep subwooferage no matter what the system. Plus, got to be able to place the bass to match the room. Cheers!

I trust you folks to recommend a great prepro/source to round out this system.
prepro? umm think Parasound, or pick a Flagship AVR any. Denon, Marantz or Yamaha 3K little more on the Marantz 1k on prepro don’t Q me on that. Than you have the Big Boys Krell, Bryston so on.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I believe I can put together a 10K retail setup ;) for under 6K.
If amp is added, 6.5K. Only need two channel amp. Won’t need killer sub. Maybe 5k total if used amp.
I think $10K System can be pretty awesome as long as you can get good discounts on new components or buy used components.

Definitely put most of the budget into the speakers.

I agree on just getting a flagship AVR. If the speakers are sensitive enough, there's no need for external amps, so save the money and use toward speakers.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
As you can see I haven’t posted up a 10K or 20K setup yet on here. I believe I can put together a 10K retail setup ;) for under 6K if amp is added 6.500. only need two channel amp. a if on sub won’t need no killer sub save a lot there throw 60% at speakers;) maybe 5k if used amp
Sorry I disagree on the 'no need for a killer sub' on a 2 channel system. Assuming we're talking music, IMO the sub quality is far more important than that required for movies. As far as the 6k or a 10k, yeah, all bets are off if one throws used into the equation.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
prepro? umm think Parasound, or pick a Flagship AVR any. Denon, Marantz or Yamaha 3K little more on the Marantz 1k on prepro don’t Q me on that. Than you have the Big Boys Krell, Bryston so on.

3x-JTR Noesis 215RT = $10,800
2x-JTR Noesis 215RM (for surrounds)=$6400
1- ATI Class D 5 channel amp= $3400

Total $20,600

Done.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis