What do you think about what's gong on at the Capital??

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trochetier

Audioholic
Several corporations have announced that they are suspending donations to lawmakers who voted against certification.

Ironically, Trump may actually succeed in draining the swamp after all.

Corporations should not be able to donate funds (aka buy) to politicians. Unfortunately, Corporations are "people" so they cannot be barred it will be unconstitutional.

T

trochetier

Audioholic
I e-mailed one of them and it took months to see a reply that didn't really answer the question to my satisfaction. I think he ran unopposed, so voting for someone else wouldn't work- for him or anyone else. Running unopposed is another problem- it seems that nobody is interested in replacing turds who have screwed the pooch.
Fortunately, my House Member and the two Senators are pretty responsive specially if the issue is current. Same with State and County gov. They don't get a penny from me in campaign funds.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
75-year-old congresswoman tests positive for coronavirus after sheltering in place with unmasked lawmakers

"Rep. Bonnie Watson Coleman, a 75-year-old cancer survivor, has tested positive for the coronavirus after taking shelter in a room with lawmakers who refused to wear masks during last week’s violent takeover of the Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.​
“I received a positive test result for COVID-19, and am home resting at this time,” she said in a statement. “While I am experiencing mild, cold-like symptoms, I remain in good spirits and will continue to work on behalf of my constituents.”​
Watson Coleman (D-N.J.) said she believes she contracted the virus while in protected isolation during the riot. Many lawmakers were held in a room together as the pro-Trump mob stormed the Capitol."​

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
But, extremism is contagious. So, please get your poop in a group (as a country, not you personally) before it takes root up here.
Unfortunately, I think you are correct about extremism being contagious. As I see it, the basic problem is that quite a few people here (in the U.S.) have it in their head that they can force their views on the majority if they are just violent and persistent enough.

The above obviously relies somewhat on believing myths about voter fraud, etc. I'm sure many here (in the U.S.) believe, at least to some extent) that the election was "stolen." They don't seem to view themselves as having extreme views that are not shared by the majority. People seem to be eager to believe fairy tails if these fairy tails suit their cause. I do not know what the answer is to this wilful self-delusion.

My non-expert impression is that it relates to cognitive dissonance, or more precisely a need to avoid cognitive dissonance. For example, I see people react in a very hostile manner when confronted with historical facts that contradict their beliefs. They end up asserting that anything and everything that contradicts their beliefs is a lie.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
FBI have issued a warning at the capitols in all 50 states from roughly the 17th-20th.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Unfortunately, I think you are correct about extremism being contagious. As I see it, the basic problem is that quite a few people here (in the U.S.) have it in their head that they can force their views on the majority if they are just violent and persistent enough.

The above obviously relies somewhat on believing myths about voter fraud, etc. I'm sure many here (in the U.S.) believe, at least to some extent) that the election was "stolen." They don't seem to view themselves as having extreme views that are not shared by the majority. People seem to be eager to believe fairy tails if these fairy tails suit their cause. I do not know what the answer is to this wilful self-delusion.

My non-expert impression is that it relates to cognitive dissonance, or more precisely a need to avoid cognitive dissonance. For example, I see people react in a very hostile manner when confronted with historical facts that contradict their beliefs. They end up asserting that anything and everything that contradicts their beliefs is a lie.

What a better guy than drumph to lead the bullies....a bully his whole life. It was very funny when Melania started her "anti-bullying" campaign.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
One police officer was beaten to death by a fire extinguisher. One officer has been suspended for waiving the mob in. Another for the photo-op. Another was given a MAGA hat to wear. One officer was found to have been on social media supporting the plans. So obviously the lack of commitment to security is there.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
The Monarchy is "shared" amongst Commonwealth countries. It does not confer any control over Canadian affairs whatsoever to the UK government. Although Canada became a "country" in 1867 with the British North America Act (BNA Act), many aspects of Canadian governance were retained by the British government, such as foreign affairs. That's why when the UK declared war on Germany in 1914, Canada was automatically included.

For all intents and purposes, full independence came with the Statute of Westminster in 1931. When WW2 broke out, Canada made her own declaration of war. The BNA Act remained our constitution until 1982, because that's how long it took for the provinces to agree upon an amending formula. Until that year, when the Canada Act became law, a few vestiges of British rule remained. For instance, at the request of the Canadian Government, an amendment to the preceding constitution (BNA Act), had to be passed by the British parliament, since it was a British Act.

As for being the "most operationally sound democracy in the western hemisphere"...maybe. But, extremism is contagious. So, please get your poop in a group (as a country, not you personally) before it takes root up here.

Thank-you.
Yeah, well, they teach squat about Canada here and I was out of school by the time youse guys declared independence. We didn't hear cheering, fireworks or other commotion, so it never happened. There, I said it! :)

I'm not the one who wrote that we're the most operationally sound anything and if you read my posts, I have explicitly written that Congress is disfunctional, which puts the kaibosh on calling it 'operationally sound'.

No, thank YOU!

highfigh

highfigh

More companies are pulling back.

A flurry of companies have since reviewed political giving via their corporate political action committees, according to the DealBook newsletter:
  • Morgan Stanley is suspending all PAC contributions to members of Congress who did not vote to certify the results of the Electoral College, a spokesman said.
  • Marriott said it would pause donations from its PAC “to those who voted against certification of the election,” a spokeswoman told DealBook. She did not say how long the break would last or how the hotel chain would decide when to resume donations.
  • The chemicals giant Dow said it was suspending all PAC contributions “to any member of Congress who voted to object to the certification of the presidential election.” The suspension will last for one election cycle — two years for representatives and up to six years for senators.
  • Shopify terminated online stores affiliated with President Trump. “Based on recent events, we have determined that the actions by President Donald J. Trump violate our Acceptable Use Policy, which prohibits promotion or support of organizations, platforms or people that threaten or condone violence to further a cause,” the company said in a statement.

>>>Citigroup confirmed Sunday that it is pausing all federal political donations for the first three months of the year. In a memo to employees Friday, Citi’s head of global government affairs Candi Wolff said “we want you to be assured that we will not support candidates who do not respect the rule of law.”<<<

So, the government will be bought & paid for by the financials? Great. Just freaking great.

I don't want lobbying, period. I want total transparency in donating, I want spending limits (remember the McCain-Feingold Campaign Reform Act?) and I want rules for campaining & debates, to stop the insults and false claims.

For an 'advanced society', too many people act like children who have received no discipline.

Maybe, members of Congress will take this as a wake-up call. On both sides.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, well, they teach squat about Canada here and I was out of school by the time youse guys declared independence. We didn't hear cheering, fireworks or other commotion, so it never happened. There, I said it! :)

I'm not the one who wrote that we're the most operationally sound anything and if you read my posts, I have explicitly written that Congress is disfunctional, which puts the kaibosh on calling it 'operationally sound'.

No, thank YOU!
There was no celebration of "independence" in 1982, because we were already independent. While de jure, there may have been some remnants of apron strings, de facto they had been looong cut.

highfigh

highfigh

There was no celebration of "independence" in 1982, because we were already independent. While de jure, there may have been some remnants of apron strings, de facto they had been looong cut.
Hey, hey, HEY! You take yer foreign werds somewhere else, buster! :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
So, the government will be bought & paid for by the financials? Great. Just freaking great.

I don't want lobbying, period. I want total transparency in donating, I want spending limits (remember the McCain-Feingold Campaign Reform Act?) and I want rules for campaining & debates, to stop the insults and false claims.

For an 'advanced society', too many people act like children who have received no discipline.

Maybe, members of Congress will take this as a wake-up call. On both sides.
Where you been hiding? Corporate America already owns us.. They just had enough of crazy donny , he's bad for the bottom line... You wanna see these guys *really get their panties in a bunch?*.... Just wait till a real liberal gets nominated....

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Hats off to the person who managed to download almost everything that had been posted on Parler just before Amazon cut them off:

>>>Operating on little sleep, @donk_enby began the work of archiving all of Parler’s posts, ultimately capturing around 99.9 percent of its content. In a tweet early Sunday, @donk_enby said she was crawling some 1.1 million Parler video URLs. “These are the original, unprocessed, raw files as uploaded to Parler with all associated metadata,” she said. Included in this data tranche, now more than 56 terabytes in size, @donk_enby confirmed that the raw video files include GPS metadata pointing to exact locations of where the videos were taken.<<<

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Hats off to the person who managed to download almost everything that had been posted on Parler just before Amazon cut them off:

>>>Operating on little sleep, @donk_enby began the work of archiving all of Parler’s posts, ultimately capturing around 99.9 percent of its content. In a tweet early Sunday, @donk_enby said she was crawling some 1.1 million Parler video URLs. “These are the original, unprocessed, raw files as uploaded to Parler with all associated metadata,” she said. Included in this data tranche, now more than 56 terabytes in size, @donk_enby confirmed that the raw video files include GPS metadata pointing to exact locations of where the videos were taken.<<<

This is a great start... Gonna be a whole buncha people wish they had joined a different cult

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis