What do I need for subs for these speakers

N

noclue

Audioholic
I am looking at getting these RBH speakers SVR-16B and this center SV-661CR for the fronts. I have a little more than 3000 Cubic feet for that room and two open areas one a 8 foot wide opening to the kitchen and a opening wear a window use to be this area was a expansion, I don't have to have something that I feel all the time I want something that if I crank it up I can for certain movies but not all the time. this a busy area my wife will listen to music and what general TV i will do the same but move movies and Netflix. I want enough sub or subs go go with the speakers and want to hear roar as the cars pass by in days of thunder and the deep voice of the dragon in the hobbit. I also want to hear the rain in the show and wonder if is raining outside things like that.
If i don't need 15 inch subs for this then that is fine I have considered one or two of these. Rhythmic FV15HP s

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I am looking at getting these RBH speakers SVR-16B and this center SV-661CR for the fronts. I have a little more than 3000 Cubic feet for that room and two open areas one a 8 foot wide opening to the kitchen and a opening wear a window use to be this area was a expansion, I don't have to have something that I feel all the time I want something that if I crank it up I can for certain movies but not all the time. this a busy area my wife will listen to music and what general TV i will do the same but move movies and Netflix. I want enough sub or subs go go with the speakers and want to hear roar as the cars pass by in days of thunder and the deep voice of the dragon in the hobbit. I also want to hear the rain in the show and wonder if is raining outside things like that.
If i don't need 15 inch subs for this then that is fine I have considered one or two of these. Rhythmic FV15HP s
Those are good subs from rythmik. If your going duals your system will be capable of doing what your concerns about. The F18s are nice also. If you want a lot output, you have plenty of options.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like my Rythmik LVX12 in my theater but I also like my HSU VTF2 MK5 in my living room. These are both ported 12’s. Thinking these are both good options for you but you will need dual subs from the description of being open to other rooms. The subs will see the entire space open to them.

Last edited:
N

noclue

Audioholic
what about the outlaw 13 inch THX subs I haven't hear much about them, what scares me away from anything other smaller than a 15 inch sub the svs sub i got many years ago only sounded good with the old Andrew Jones speakers. across that was just one sub but it just sounded like it was pounding to instead of blending in with the speakers that wear a better class of speakers

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
what about the outlaw 13 inch THX subs I haven't hear much about them, what scares me away from anything other smaller than a 15 inch sub the svs sub i got many years ago only sounded good with the old Andrew Jones speakers. across that was just one sub but it just sounded like it was pounding to instead of blending in with the speakers that wear a better class of speakers
Sounds like a 15 is what you would like. If you can afford the Rythmik LV15HP, that’s a nice sub. I think the HSU VTF15 would be good too. Good luck! :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Get the dual Rhythmik 15's ALL DAY LONG id recommend them Id have gotten they're 18's myself but I needed a little prettier in my living room cuz I can't have a theater room so I scooped up the PB4000's great subs I'm very happy with them but if looks weren't an issue I wanted to get the Rhythmik's so bad. They are really really awesome subs that are known for theyre ability with music as well as putting out the slam on movies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The Outlaw Ultra-X13 is a terrific sub, you can read a detailed review here.

N

noclue

Audioholic
Not sure two 13 inch will fill a 3000 plus square footage room with two open ends

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Not sure two 13 inch will fill a 3000 plus square footage room with two open ends
It depends on how loud you want to listen, and also your proximity from the subwoofers. But 3000 square feet? are you sure you don't mean cubic feet?

N

noclue

Audioholic
yes that is correct sorry. I don't want to rattle my windows all the time but i want it to sounds realist to a point. And i want to be sure i have enough sub to work with the speakers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK, the Oultlaw subs should suffice for that room size. They will be able to keep up with those speakers as well. The RBH SV-61r speakers are terrific speakers by the way. You can not go wrong with those.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I was skeptical at first, but the Monoliths are looking pretty serious as contenders. Reviews here from Audioholics: 10 &12" : 15". Agree with Shady, too, the X-13s have been my leading favorite as I am preparing to purchase new speakers and subs for 7.2 set up. Also on my shortlist was Hsu.

Happy hunting

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I was skeptical at first, but the Monoliths are looking pretty serious as contenders. Reviews here from Audioholics: 10 &12" : 15". Agree with Shady, too, the X-13s have been my leading favorite as I am preparing to purchase new speakers and subs for 7.2 set up. Also on my shortlist was Hsu.

Happy hunting
If your going duals they give a nice discount on those X-13's. Believe it's 2500 for duals. I called them up for a quote the other day. You pay for shipping but no tax. Came out 2 like 2700 and some change. The Monolith 15's in duals is 2600 but you get a discount I thinks it's a 100 off I believe. Free shipping but you pay taxes I believe. So the price between both is almost neck and neck. A slight nod to the monoprice I believe. You can't go wrong with either choice they're both great subs good luck on your choice!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If your going duals they give a nice discount on those X-13's. Believe it's 2500 for duals. I called them up for a quote the other day. You pay for shipping but no tax. Came out 2 like 2700 and some change. The Monolith 15's in duals is 2600 but you get a discount I thinks it's a 100 off I believe. Free shipping but you pay taxes I believe. So the price between both is almost neck and neck. A slight nod to the monoprice I believe. You can't go wrong with either choice they're both great subs good luck on your choice!
Man I just realized I used the word believe a lot. Gotta stop posting at 3 in the morning

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Noclue: I've been going through a similar search, but for a >8000'3 room. No joke. Consensus is that for me, the Monolith 15, X-13, and Hsu VTF15Hmkii will work as dual subs in my situation. Gosh if only I had a 3000'3 room to worry about! #starryeyes
Lovinthehd turned me on to seaton, but the lady took one look and said something to the effect of, "no!" ;) He also suggested I look at Funk subs. Beautiful and priced to match! Alas, I digress.
My other complication is that I want a sub that will also reproduce the lower harmonics in pipe organ recordings, which means a 16Hz extension on the low end.

I think you said ~3000'3 for your room? Unless you want to plumb the depths of lower bass extension, you could safely consider a much larger selection than I have to choose from on a budget. Hsu's are very affordable and seem to come highly recommended in some of their smaller offerings too. The monolith 15 might be overkill for you, though there's nothing wrong with killing a mosquito with a hand grenade. ;) (well except for local and federal explosives ordinances and laws, and neighbors... perhaps, if you care about such things.) but the 10 or 12" would do you justice I think.
You could also very safely consider the SVS 4000 lineup; more affordable than the Ultras and highly respected.
Also agree with the recommendations for Rhythmik. Don't think I've heard a bad word about them, and they do offer a lot of options to fit almost any scenario.

Cheers!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Noclue: I've been going through a similar search, but for a >8000'3 room.
You may be over-estimating your needs. While it does take more SPL to pressurize an entire space, who says you need to pressurize that entire space? All you need to do is get a good bass sound at your listening position. If the subs are in close enough proximity to your listening position, you can still get a very powerful bass sound, regardless of your room size. How far is your listening position from the intended placement of your subs?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
You may be over-estimating your needs. While it does take more SPL to pressurize an entire space, who says you need to pressurize that entire space? All you need to do is get a good bass sound at your listening position. If the subs are in close enough proximity to your listening position, you can still get a very powerful bass sound, regardless of your room size. How far is your listening position from the intended placement of your subs?
Totally. Its been a fun journey, and I went from oblivious to under-educated-and-overly-concerned to moderately-educated-and-comfortable-with-my-choices. ;) And I'm not trying to hit reference level across the whole space, and agree with your assertion that I shouldn't even try. (Pardon the paraphrasing.)
My listening area is about 1/4-1/3 of the greatroom. Subs would likely be placed on tile floor and I would be within 6-8 feet of either sub. I was surprised when the SVS rep had concerns about the 4000 series. I know I can order up and try, but I do want to make a responsible choice rather than box and reship multiple subs. Also the PB and PC options are already somewhat over my budget for two subs. *shrugs
I like the X-13. By all accounts it will do what I want and do it very well. Almost wish the Outlaws were in CA instead of Hsu. I've considered just driving there and snagging two VTF-15hmk2s just to be done with it all. ;) If Outlaw was here, I'd be bumping those already!

All that said, what are your thoughts, Shady? I'd love having another opinion!

Cheers

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Totally. Its been a fun journey, and I went from oblivious to under-educated-and-overly-concerned to moderately-educated-and-comfortable-with-my-choices. ;) And I'm not trying to hit reference level across the whole space, and agree with your assertion that I shouldn't even try. (Pardon the paraphrasing.)
My listening area is about 1/4-1/3 of the greatroom. Subs would likely be placed on tile floor and I would be within 6-8 feet of either sub. I was surprised when the SVS rep had concerns about the 4000 series. I know I can order up and try, but I do want to make a responsible choice rather than box and reship multiple subs. Also the PB and PC options are already somewhat over my budget for two subs. *shrugs
I like the X-13. By all accounts it will do what I want and do it very well. Almost wish the Outlaws were in CA instead of Hsu. I've considered just driving there and snagging two VTF-15hmk2s just to be done with it all. ;) If Outlaw was here, I'd be bumping those already!

All that said, what are your thoughts, Shady? I'd love having another opinion!

Cheers
In a situation like that, I would get some beefy subs if possible. I think the 15"s from Hsu would do the trick as would the Outlaw subs. The Monoprice Monolith subs are very good too, but I would be looking at the Monolith 15" at a minimum for that room. The SVS subs are great but in that situation I would go for a couple 4000s at the very least. All of these subs are good, and I have very detailed measurement sets and a lot of experience with all of them. You can't lose from any choice in that selection.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if 3 HSU VTF3’s with one near field (by the listener) would be a better buy than only 2 SVS or 2 Outlaw or 2 Monolith. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis