What DAC does Sony use in the STR-DA5400ES AV receiver?

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
Does anyone know what DAC Sony uses in the STR-DA5400ES AV receiver? Sony seems to be the one brand out there that never say's what DAC's they use in their receivers. Is it Burr Brown, is it Wolfson, do they use their own, who knows? I would like to know.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@PENG usually has the best info on such....

Personally I couldn't tell you what DAC chip is used in any of my avrs as it just doesn't matter to me....

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Does anyone know what DAC Sony uses in the STR-DA5400ES AV receiver? Sony seems to be the one brand out there that never say's what DAC's they use in their receivers. Is it Burr Brown, is it Wolfson, do they use their own, who knows? I would like to know.
Usually shown in the manual, or their marketing.

Get one made by Texas Instruments- much better than Burr-Brown (TI owns Burr-Brown). :)

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
Usually shown in the manual, or their marketing.

Get one made by Texas Instruments- much better than Burr-Brown (TI owns Burr-Brown). :)
There is no mention in the manual or marketing, Seems like every other manufacture will tell you whose DAC they use except Sony. My Pioneer Elite SC-05 uses Wolfson, My Onkyo TX-RZ810 uses AKM, Sony doesn't mention it anywhere.

K

Keith1964

Audioholic Intern
Made me look at my manuals....my Denons don't mention it, my Onkyo doesn't and my Sony doesn't....might be in service manuals, tho, did you check there? https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1067453/Sony-Str-Da5400es.html?page=119#manual
The service manual does not mention the maker of the DAC chip. My Onkyo states AKM DAC right on the box, my Pioneer Elite mentions it uses Wolfson DAC's in reviews, Sony's DAC's are not mentioned in any review or literature of the DA5400ES, or the 2002 Sony STR-DA7ES i also own for that matter. Maybe they just use their own in house designed DAC, who knows.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The service manual does not mention the maker of the DAC chip. My Onkyo states AKM DAC right on the box, my Pioneer Elite mentions it uses Wolfson DAC's in reviews, Sony's DAC's are not mentioned in any review or literature of the DA5400ES, or the 2002 Sony STR-DA7ES i also own for that matter. Maybe they just use their own in house designed DAC, who knows.
Does it have the model number? Should be searchable....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
@Keith1964 - I'll try to explain using an analogy:
Think of a car driving down a major highway. Think about how many various things, designs, and engineering it involves. Now your question on DAC vendors/model is roughly equivalent to which paint vendor they used to paint the barriers. The answer - it doesn't matter as long it stays after x years.

The Same goes for DACs. They are a long time ago made to be good enough to point it doesn't matter.
Selecting AVR I'd be more worried about its amplifier section, which hopefully someone already bench tested and verified its claimed spec. Usually, large AVR companies like D&M, Yamaha, and Sony tend to stay reasonably honest with amp ratings, as long as you read the fine print.

highfigh

highfigh

That's a bit surprising- some brands use the components as a selling point/buzz word because they know some people care about what is used inside. The Crutchfield listing shows the video processor brand, but nothing about the DAC, other than the fact that the DAC and headphone amp are combined. That probably means the DAC is decent, but doesn't need to be mentioned.

highfigh

highfigh

@Keith1964 - I'll try to explain using an analogy:
Think of a car driving down a major highway. Think about how many various things, designs, and engineering it involves. Now your question on DAC vendors/model is roughly equivalent to which paint vendor they used to paint the barriers. The answer - it doesn't matter as long it stays after x years.

The Same goes for DACs. They are a long time ago made to be good enough to point it doesn't matter.
Selecting AVR I'd be more worried about its amplifier section, which hopefully someone already bench tested and verified its claimed spec. Usually, large AVR companies like D&M, Yamaha, and Sony tend to stay reasonably honest with amp ratings, as long as you read the fine print.
I upgraded my van's blower fan when the original one stopped working. Much better. :)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
The Sony ESTR-DA5400ES uses TI PCM1681PWR 8 channel, 192kHz, 24 bit, 8 channel D/A converter. Here is a link to the technical data sheet.

Next question... :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02... ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Sony ESTR-DA5400ES uses TI PCM1681PWR 8 channel, 192kHz, 24 bit, 8 channel D/A converter. Here is a link to the technical data sheet.

Next question... :rolleyes:

Just my $0.02... ;)
I thought such a higher end Sony would have done better than that one, not that it would be audible to non golden ears.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I thought such a higher end Sony would have done better than that one, not that it would be audible to non golden ears.
Comes down to buying cost...
@ the 250K quantity corporate pricing that IC is <$1..

Just my $0.02... ;)

highfigh

highfigh

How many people will listen and think "This really needs a better DAC"?

highfigh

highfigh

I would like your view on that ASR website that talks about DAC measurements daily and all the measurements of 0.0007% THD. :D
1% THD means the distortion component is -20dB from the reference audio level, .0007% is inaudible if other signal is present at -0dB. Nice goal, but selling that as 'much better' than .007 is just useless. Hell, the ringing in the ears of most people is louder than most distortion specs.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
As expected, @M Code was right, it was the PCM1681PMP according to the service manual. If your service manual does not mention it, you got the wrong one, or you meant the Owner's manual, that usually don't give you the model/part numbers of the ICs used.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
1% THD means the distortion component is -20dB from the reference audio level,
Your typo may scare people! 1% is -40 dB, agreed with the ear ringing thing, otherwise 1% should be "detectable" in an AB comparison in a quiet room if listen loud enough, for people with normal hearing.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis