Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral
Vocal Music

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have been meaning to respond to this post for some time.

I have been a collector for 64 years, so I have lots of LPs, the early ones mono reel to reel tapes and a few cassette tapes, lots CD, as well as DVDs and BD especially opera. I also have my archive of live recordings and lots of off air and over the Net broadcasts on my Daw.

This is what is spinning right now.

Recorded 1995, organist Graham Barber.

I went to high school at Downside Abbey and so know that Compton organ well.

Percy Whitlock was a native of of my home town of Rochester UK and he was organist at Rochester cathedral for a number of years. My mother new him quite well.

These days I use AV streaming a lot.

There is a lot of good free HS music to had on YouTube especially from the Dutch site AVROTOS Klassiek.

I subscribe to the BPO Digital Concert Hall, Medici TV out of France, DSO in replay, SPCO concert library, and Met Player for an opera fix.

There is just so much good listening and now viewing out there. There are an abundance of young and exciting musicians out there now. There has never been a better time for the classical music lover and it just keeps getting better and better. It is far from dead and very much alive.
We are also fortunate in that almost everything available is competently engineered, well produced and presented, which is the obverse of the pop scene. We should be so thankful that we have just an embarrassment of beautiful music to choose from.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Christopher Jacobson
The Aeolian Organ at Duke University Chapel

Release Date June 10, 2016
Duration01:05:46
Genre
Classical
Styles
Keyboard
Recording DateApril, 2015
Recording Location
Duke Chapel, Duke University, Durham, Unites States

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
There is just so much good listening and now viewing out there. There are an abundance of young and exciting musicians out there now. There has never been a better time for the classical music lover and it just keeps getting better and better.
There has never been a better time for ALL music yet I still see posts regularly complaining about, "music today." People, what can you do?

Great story from your time at Downside Abbey to the picks of your listening space, thanks.I clicked on each pick.

I too subscribe to Digital Concert Hall but not the others. Which classical boards do you frequent? This site is not really about music.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

John Storgårds / Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra
Per Nørgård: Symphonies Nos. 2 & 6

Release Date June 10, 2016
Duration54:21
Genre
Classical
Styles
Symphony
Recording DateMay 25, 2015 - May 28, 2015
Recording Location
Oslo Konserthus
Oslo Opera House, the Orchestra Rehearsal Room

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Herbert von Karajan
Karajan: Orchestra Spectaculars from Handel to Bartók

Duration15:57:53
Genre
Classical

Disc: 1
1. Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43: I. Allegretto
2. Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43: II. Tempo andante, ma rubato
3. Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43: III. Vivacissimo
4. Symphony No. 2 in D Major, Op. 43: IV. Finale (Allegro moderato)
5. Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82: I. Tempo molto moderato - Largamente - Allegro moderato - Pr
6. Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82: II. Andante mosso, quasi allegretto
7. Symphony No. 5 in E-Flat Major, Op. 82: III. Allegro molto - Un pochettino largamente

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Arcangelo / Jonathan Cohen
Bach Magnificats: Johann Sebastian, Johann Christian, Carl Philipp Emanuel

Release Date February 2, 2018
Duration01:16:36
Genre
Classical
Styles
Choral
Recording DateOctober 4, 2015 - October 6, 2015
Recording Location
St Mary the Virgin and St Mary Magdalen, Tetbury, Gloucestershire

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Frieder Bernius
Joseph Haydn: Stabat Mater, Hob. XXbis

Genre
Classical
Release Date
3/2/2018

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Hannu Lintu / Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Sibelius: Lemminkäinen Legends; Pohjola's Daughter

Release Date April 14, 2015
Duration01:01:36
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral
Recording Location
Helsinki Music Centre, Finland

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Edward Gardner / City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Mendelssohn in Birmingham, Vol. 3: Symphony No. 2 'Hymn of Praise'; Calms Sea and Prosperous Voyage

Release Date February 24, 2015
Duration01:12:48
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral
Symphony
Recording DateFebruary 15, 2014 & February 16, 2014
Recording Location
Town Hall, Birmingham

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There has never been a better time for ALL music yet I still see posts regularly complaining about, "music today." People, what can you do?

Great story from your time at Downside Abbey to the picks of your listening space, thanks.I clicked on each pick.

I too subscribe to Digital Concert Hall but not the others. Which classical boards do you frequent? This site is not really about music.
No, I have signed up to classical boards. I know this board is not primarily about music, but my interest is to build systems as close as possible to the original sound, so that the music can be enjoyed to its fullest extent.

Unfortunately few speakers are ideally engineered for classical music. This has lot to do, but not exclusively with power distribution. The pop culture and the way music is recorded, mixed and produced now, has a lot to do with this. I mean by that small speakers on the mix desk and a sub, often not a good one, turned up too loud.

Classical music has most of its foundation in the 80 to 900 Hz range. There are a huge number of instruments, double basses, cellos violas, tubas, horns, trombones, tymps bassoons and many more making huge power demands across that band and actually to 2.5 KHz and even 5 KHz. The better older designs, but not just, exotics were much better equipped in that regard, although a lot like now had other shortcomings. In my experience it is rare to find a speaker that really captures the "body" of an orchestra or large choir. If you add the two and throw in an organ the results are usually a long way from desired with most speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Edward Gardner / City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra
Mendelssohn in Birmingham, Vol. 3: Symphony No. 2 'Hymn of Praise'; Calms Sea and Prosperous Voyage

Release Date February 24, 2015
Duration01:12:48
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral
Symphony
Recording DateFebruary 15, 2014 & February 16, 2014
Recording Location
Town Hall, Birmingham
Well that disc is of interest to me. Mary and Sophie Bevan are the granddaughters of Roger Bevan who was director of music at Downside while I was there. He had 21 children and they had the "Bevan Family Orchestra". They lived opposite to my uncle David who also had a large family. His daughter Rachael Bevan is married to my cousin John. She was a professional singer also. She recorded solos and was a member of the Tavernor Consort. Unfortunately she developed MS as did her mother. This cut short her professional career. Se is doing much better then her mother as treatment is much better now.

Roger Bevan was among other things a good organist and did play the Downside Abbey organ on occasions although the organist at that time was Dom Cyprian Stockford OSB.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Pope John Paul Celebrates Solemn High Mass In St. Peters
Vienna Philharmonic Orch.

Release
January 13, 2004
Genre
Classical

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Seattle Symphony / Gerard Schwarz
George Perle: Orchestral Works

Release Date 1999
Duration01:09:03
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Jordi Savall / Hespèrion XX
Cansos de Trobairtiz (Songs of the Women Troubadors)

Release Date
Duration
50:02
Genre
Classical
Styles
Vocal Music

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Victoria De Los Angeles : Ars Musicae Ensemble ‎
Songs Of Andalusia: Music From The Middle Ages And Renaissance

Released:
Genre:
Classical
Style:
Renaissance, Andalusian Classical

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Jordi Savall / Hesperion Xx
Llibre Vermell De Montserrat

Genre:
Classical
Original Release Date:
Run Time:
59 minutes

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
IMG_1535.JPG

Debussy Greatest Hits / CBS Masterworks 33 1/3 LP vinyl, released 1984

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Ensemble Hespèrion XX
Music from Christian & Jewish Spain 1450-1553

Genre
Classical
Release

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Anna Caterina Antonacci / John Neschling / Orchestre Philharmonique Royal de Liège
Respighi: Vetrate di Chiesa; Il Tramonto; Trittico botticelliano

Release Date January 5, 2018
Duration01:06:21
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral
Vocal Music
Recording DateMarch, 2016 - April, 2016
Recording Location
Salle Philharmonique, Liège, Belgium

newsletter