What Classical are you listening to?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Friedrich der Grosse, Johann Joachim Quantz, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, Georg Anton Benda ‎– Musik In Sanssouci
Label:
BASF ‎– 20 29042-5, Harmonia Mundi ‎– 20 29042-5
Germany
Released:

Genre:
Classical
Style:
Classical, Baroque

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

If it is classical to you, it is classical.

On some rather highbrow classical sites, even Philip Glass, considered the greatest living composer is not considered classical. I guess like in 1964, the Beatles were shunned by the traditional pop music lovers.

I'll fire this up next.... then let's see if I post it here or the pop thread?

I used to post ELP, Pictures at an exhibition in classical, no longer. Is my brow growing or am I just more keenly aware of the nuances now?

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Festliche Opernsuiten in Versailles
Collegium Aureum (Künstler), Jean-Philippe Rameau (Komponist)

Komponist: Jean-Philippe Rameau
Audio CD (26. August 2011)

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Frank Zappa
The Yellow Shark

Release Date
November 2, 1993
Duration
01:11:51
Genre
Pop/RockAvant-GardeClassical
Styles
Modern CompositionAvant-Garde MusicExperimental

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Classical music is a genre, or arguably a category of genres; that's different than a piece being a classic. Zappa's music would be classics, not classical music.
Well, it's orchestral music played in classical style? Easier to say classical, just as with other modern composers doing the same.

curious, why does your user name appear on this Spotify link? (I am testing/learning Spotify as of two days ago)
Because it's the easiest way to share a playlist. I make albums playlists (vs "saving" an album) in Spotify so they're more useful on more devices.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Classical music is a genre, or arguably a category of genres; that's different than a piece being a classic. Zappa's music would be classics, not classical music.
AllMusic Review by François Couture [-]
During his last years, Frank Zappa concentrated on his "serious music," trying to impose himself as a composer and relegating the rock personality to the closet. His last two completed projects topped everything he had done before in this particular field. The Yellow Shark, an album of orchestral music, was released only a few weeks before he succumbed to cancer (the computer music/sound collage album Civilization Phaze III was released a few months later). This CD, named for a plexiglas fish given to Zappa in 1988, culls live recordings from the Ensemble Modern's 1992 program of the composer's music. The range of pieces goes from string quartets ("None of the Above") to ensemble works, from very challenging contemporary classical to old Zappa favorites. The latter category includes a medley of "Dog Breath Variations" and "Uncle Meat," "Pound for a Brown," "Be-Bop Tango," and the Synclavier compositions "The Girl in the Magnesium Dress" and "G-Spot Tornado" transcribed for orchestra. Being more familiar, these bring a lighter touch, but the real interest of the CD resides in the premiere recordings. "Outrage at Valdez," the piano duet "Ruth Is Sleeping," and "Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America, 1992" are all the gripping works of a mature composer, strongly influenced by Varèse and Stravinsky but overwhelmed by them. But the crowning achievement is "Welcome to the United States," a more freeform piece based on the U.S. visa form. Zappa shined when ridiculing stupidity. The average fan of the man's rock music will most probably feel lost in The Yellow Shark, but for those with interests in his serious music it is an essential item, more so than the London Symphony Orchestra and Orchestral Favorites albums.

Release Date
November 2, 1993
Duration
01:11:51
Genre
Pop/RockAvant-GardeClassical
Styles
Modern Composition

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Jean-Guihen Queyras / Pablo Heras-Casado / Isabelle Faust / Alexander Melnikov
Schumann, 3

Release Date April 1, 2016
Duration54:49
Genre
Classical
Styles
Concerto
Chamber Music

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Lang Lang / Valery Gergiev
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2; Paganini Rhapsody

Release Date April 12, 2005
Duration01:00:18
Genre
Classical
Styles
Concerto

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Neville Marriner / Roger Norrington
Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending; Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis; Symphony No. 5

Release Date July 12, 2013
Duration01:14:04
Genre
Classical
Styles
Orchestral

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Arabella Steinbacher
Fantasies, Rhapsodies & Daydreams

Release Date September 9, 2016
Duration01:13:33
Genre
Classical
Styles
Concerto
Recording DateOctober, 2014
Recording Location
Salle Yakov Kreizberg at the Auditorium Rainier III, Monte Carlo

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Erick Friedman / Seiji Ozawa
The Tchaikovsky and Mendelssohn Violin Concertos

Release date: 02 Jun 2017

Genre
Classical

Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee

Audioholic Intern
upload_2017-8-1_11-10-18.png

I personally think it is the best sounding recording of its time.
I also love Pinnock's interpretation of everything he plays.
upload_2017-8-1_11-11-49.png

You can tell that I'm a fan of Corelli's Concerti Grossi.
This is another really good recording.
Interestingly, this group plays at 392 hz.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Pierrot Ensemble Series, Vol. 1
Release date: 21 Jul 2017, AR-00035

Artists
Various Artists, Pavel Šabacký, Pavel Wallinger, Emil Drápela, Petr Hladík, Petr Pomkla, Petr Vysloužil, Šárka Králová, Lukáš Krejčí, Marie Petříková, Martina Venc-Matušínská, Lukáš Daňhel, Vladimír Halíček, Eva Koválová, Ladislav Doležal, Katarína Madariová

Composers
Paul Reale, Stephen Yip, Mei-Fang Lin, Matthew Pellegrino, Per Christian Arnesen, Aaron Price

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General

Christoph Prégardien / Andreas Staier
Franz Schubert: Die schöne Mullerin

Release Date 1992
Duration59:45
Genre
Classical
Styles
Vocal Music

Latest posts