What are you watching tonight?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
One of the best submarine movies of all time with great soundtrack. Pre CGI though...Steam it in original German because it just fits.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Picked up a free blu-ray rental copy of “Ghostbusters Afterlife” from Redbox tonight. It looked great and the DTS HD Master Audio track was really fun with DTS Virtual:X processing on. I’m going soft lately cuz’ this little gem stole my f#%kin’ heart and brought a tear to my eye. Big thumbs up! I’ll definitely purchase the 4K disc.
9C1BEDCA-5B81-4C4D-8102-7EEFAFAB400F.jpeg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Picked up a free blu-ray rental copy of “Ghostbusters Afterlife” from Redbox tonight. It looked great and the DTS HD Master Audio track was really fun with DTS Virtual:X processing on. I’m going soft lately cuz’ this little gem stole my f#%kin’ heart and brought a tear to my eye. Big thumbs up! I’ll definitely purchase the 4K disc.
View attachment 53541
Yeah I really enjoyed this one as well

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Didn't get through all of Afterlife last night; from what we've seen (the wife was falling asleep because we got a late start), it doesn't really stand out as a "must buy" to us. The PC references are just nauseating at this point (the subtle mentioning of "slaves" and the whole gender-questioning thing, specifically when the chick working at the burger stand makes the comment about her jacket being "manly" enough to give to the older brother character....didn't we get enough of this crap spoon-fed to us in stuff like the last Spider-Man franchise?).

Also....what is it with girls looking like boys today and vice-versa? When I was these kids' age, I didn't look like that. The lead youngster in this doesn't look like a girl, at all.

Aside from those little gripes, thus far, there were definitely some cool moments that connect to the original film, notably the ghost-fighting equipment left behind -- and I thought it was interesting when I figured out why the title has the surname "Afterlife" in it...:cool:

Last edited:
Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Couldn't finish all of Ghostbusters Afterlife last night; got through half of this, as well...

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Watched “Groundhog Day” tonight. A classic and must watch every year.
21709B15-A8F2-403B-A0AB-C8918D2886E7.jpeg

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Fun movie!
Watching the one and only 1st season on Tubi right now. Back when Fox first put this Syfy on I was all in then. Pissed off when they cancelled it. Better than anything that was on tv at the time.
Screenshot_20220203-115259~8.png

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Didn't get through all of Afterlife last night; from what we've seen (the wife was falling asleep because we got a late start), it doesn't really stand out as a "must buy" to us. The PC references are just nauseating at this point (the mention of "slaves" and the whole gender-questioning thing, specifically when the chick working at the burger stand makes the comment about her jacket being "manly" enough to give to the older brother character....didn't we get enough of this crap spoon-fed to us in stuff like the last Spider-Man franchise?).

Also....what is it with girls looking like boys today and vice-versa? When I was these kids' age, I didn't look like that. The lead youngster in this doesn't look like a girl, at all.

Aside from those little gripes, thus far, there were definitely some cool moments that connect to the original film, notably the ghost-fighting equipment left behind -- and I thought it was interesting when I figured out why the title has the surname "Afterlife" in it...:cool:
Really? You must have avoided tv and movies altogether in the 70's and pop music in the 80's if you have issues with boys looking like girls and vise versa. Young women in the 20's took heat for bobbing their hair while young men in the 60's took heat for growing it out. The more things change, the more they stay the same. They will change again soon enough before going back the other way. Try to endure it.;)

L

latapx

Audioholic Intern
I'll be watching the next episode of "Servant" as well as a few episodes of season 2 of "Truth be Told". Nothing spectacular audio-wise...just good shows.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Really? You must have avoided tv and movies altogether in the 70's and pop music in the 80's if you have issues with boys looking like girls and vise versa. Young women in the 20's took heat for bobbing their hair while young men in the 60's took heat for growing it out. The more things change, the more they stay the same. They will change again soon enough before going back the other way. Try to endure it.;)
Nope, didn't avoid any pop culture during the 80s (I was born in 73, so I don't have a measure for judging the late 70s) -- was always heavily into film and television. And there's no way anyone is going to tell me that what we're experiencing now with these kids is anything like we have in the past -- I mean, I can remember heartthrobs in the 90s being kids like Jason Priestly from 90210...you know, clean-cut, dashing, LOOKED like a boy.

I can't recognize half these kids today....but what should I expect when they're suggesting to us that embryos can choose their own gender?

I'm glad I don't have to "endure it," as you suggest, at least not at home...we weren't going to bring any children into this upside-down, parallel universe-esque world. ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Nope, didn't avoid any pop culture during the 80s (I was born in 73, so I don't have a measure for judging the late 70s) -- was always heavily into film and television. And there's no way anyone is going to tell me that what we're experiencing now with these kids is anything like we have in the past -- I mean, I can remember heartthrobs in the 90s being kids like Jason Priestly from 90210...you know, clean-cut, dashing, LOOKED like a boy.

I can't recognize half these kids today....but what should I expect when they're suggesting to us that embryos can choose their own gender?

I'm glad I don't have to "endure it," as you suggest, at least not at home...we weren't going to bring any children into this upside-down, parallel universe-esque world. ;)
So, you missed all of the "Brady Bunch", "Hardy Boys" and "Partridge Family reruns? Lief Garrett videos? Those kids were all in their teens and hardly "Clean Cut." I'm not even gonna' touch the 80's new wave and hair bands. Priestly was in his 20's and was working for Aaron Spelling in 1990 so he had to look a certain way. I guess we could all butch it up like the founding fathers but powder wigs make my head itch and I hate buckles and lace.;)

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
So, you missed all of the "Brady Bunch", "Hardy Boys" and "Partridge Family reruns? Lief Garrett videos? Those kids were all in their teens and hardly "Clean Cut." I'm not even gonna' touch the 80's new wave and hair bands. Priestly was in his 20's and was working for Aaron Spelling in 1990 so he had to look a certain way. I guess we could all butch it up like the founding fathers but powder wigs make my head itch and I hate buckles and lace.;)
I'm sorry, but you're not going to compare the "characters" you mentioned with this:

1643922518000.png

THAT, above, DOESN'T look like a young girl.

And as for Priestly, I have family members who actually worked on the set of 90210 in Tarzana, CA at the time -- they always used to tell me that they were modeling what he looked like on what most clean-cut guys looked like throughout most high schools of America at the time.

I'll give you some of those strange bands we had in the 80s, sure -- I mean, A Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, heck even Duran Duran had that "feminine" look. But I'm focusing more on what television and film stars looked like and what they look like today.

You can throw in the Partridge Family, the Founding Fathers and anyone else you want to with regard to this discussion....a plethora of wigs or curling irons in J. Egdar Hoover's brief case won't change my mind about what I saw in the film (and what I'm seeing in society today).

I'll tell you this: When I was that kid's age in MY school, girls DID NOT look like that. I'm sorry. This "little gem" didn't "bring a tear to my eye" as it did with you, apparently, and the young leads in it didn't "steal my heart." Was it nostalgic and did it fuse a nice connection to the original for even casual fans of the first film? Sure. But I just couldn't help shake my head -- as my wife couldn't, either -- every time these young leads were up on the screen.

To each their own; apparently, this hit a special place for you which it didn't for me (save for the aforementioned synergy it had with elements of the original, which was cool).

Last edited:
SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Didn't get through all of Afterlife last night; from what we've seen (the wife was falling asleep because we got a late start), it doesn't really stand out as a "must buy" to us. The PC references are just nauseating at this point (the mention of "slaves" and the whole gender-questioning thing, specifically when the chick working at the burger stand makes the comment about her jacket being "manly" enough to give to the older brother character....didn't we get enough of this crap spoon-fed to us in stuff like the last Spider-Man franchise?).

Thanks for that review. Very appreciated.
I hear you on the mandatory PC dialogue, etc, etc. I paid to see three movies in the last 3 years. An art house movie called "Death of Stalin", a hilarious sendup movie, highly recommended. "Yesterday" a cute British movie about what the world would be like if the Beatles didn't exist. And finally, the last Star Wars movie to close that loop ( I should have stopped after IV and V).
BTW, I have not seen hair on a man's body in years..what's up with that?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for that review. Very appreciated.
I hear you on the mandatory PC dialogue, etc, etc. I paid to see three movies in the last 3 years. An art house movie called "Death of Stalin", a hilarious sendup movie, highly recommended. "Yesterday" a cute British movie about what the world would be like if the Beatles didn't exist. And finally, the last Star Wars movie to close that loop ( I should have stopped after IV and V).
BTW, I have not seen hair on a man's body in years..what's up with that?
LMAO.

It wasn't really a "review," I was just sharing my thoughts after seeing half of it. I can certainly try to do a formal writeup, even analyzing the picture and sound of the Blu-ray, if you'd like. The second half was much better, IMO, and really started to connect elements related to the original...plus, there are some surprising guest appearances towards the end that fans of the first film will appreciate.

A couple of things I didn't like, aside from what I referred to already: I could have sworn "Slimer" from the original film was in the initial teaser trailers for Afterlife, but he wasn't in the film itself (instead, we get what appears to be his "brother ghost" in blue dubbed "Muncher" by the kids in this because he flies around and just randomly takes bites of things); I would have liked to have seen Slimer again, being that he was such a big part of the marketing for all the Ghostbusters.

Also -- and I HATE when studios do this -- there is a moment in the trailers for Afterlife where we hear what appears to be Paul Rudd's voice say "Wait....who ARE you?", probably in reference to Spengler's granddaughter character, yet (unless I just didn't hear it) this never happens in the film.

There is a moment with "mini Stay Pufft marshmallow men" (you'll see what I am talking about if you watch it) that just seemed like it was stuffed in there (no pun intended) for sheer fan service -- the logic behind including them didn't really make much sense, and my immediate thought was, if they could include the keymaster/gatekeeper elements from the first one and the Stay Pufft men, why couldn't they have brought back Slimer?

Anyway, it was a good rental and we may consider picking it up if it ever gets cheap on UHD Blu-ray, as I understand the 4K disc looks amazing in terms of color and detail.

As for the films you mentioned -- yeah, I wasn't too interested in Yesterday, as I'm not a huge Beatles fan (and it looked too....well....PC for me), and the Star Wars films....don't even get me started on those.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm sorry, but you're not going to compare the "characters" you mentioned with this:

View attachment 53574

THAT, above, DOESN'T look like a young girl.

And as for Priestly, I have family members who actually worked on the set of 90210 in Tarzana, CA at the time -- they always used to tell me that they were modeling what he looked like on what most clean-cut guys looked like throughout most high schools of America at the time.

I'll give you some of those strange bands we had in the 80s, sure -- I mean, A Flock of Seagulls, Thompson Twins, heck even Duran Duran had that "feminine" look. But I'm focusing more on what television and film stars looked like and what they look like today.

You can throw in the Partridge Family, the Founding Fathers and anyone else you want to with regard to this discussion....a plethora of wigs or curling irons in J. Egdar Hoover's brief case won't change my mind about what I saw in the film (and what I'm seeing in society today).

I'll tell you this: When I was that kid's age in MY school, girls DID NOT look like that. I'm sorry. This "little gem" didn't "bring a tear to my eye" as it did with you, apparently, and the young leads in it didn't "steal my heart." Was it nostalgic and did it fuse a nice connection to the original for even casual fans of the first film? Sure. But I just couldn't help shake my head -- as my wife couldn't, either -- every time these young leads were up on the screen.

To each their own; apparently, this hit a special place for you which it didn't for me (save for the aforementioned synergy it had with elements of the original, which was cool).
Well, that girl didn't go to your school and is not your daughter and not an object for you to control. So this girl doesn't look like a cheap whore like so many of the girls did on various episodes of 90210. So what? She looks more like Winona Ryder did in "Lucas" from 1986 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it or her. Many guys looked like Kurt Cobain in the early 90's and many girls looked like Alanis Morisette. They were kinda' scruffy, angry and sad. If you want to remember it all differently, go ahead. If you don't like what you are seeing on film and tv today, turn it off and go stream "Leave It To Beaver." But, skip season one when Wally had long bleached hair on top. I happened to enjoy this movie and enjoyed seeing those involved with the original still working almost 40 years on. I didn't think too much about the length of the boys' or girls' hair. But, I could have done with less product placement and was disappointed that Rick Moranis and Slimer never showed up.:confused: If I want to see hair on a man's body, I just watch "The Six Million Dollar Man." Lee liked his buttons undone.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis