what are you drinking right now ?

annunaki

annunaki

Right now enjoying a cup of fresh roasted decaf (yes decaf or I cannot sleep at night).

Contemplating a Central Waters Bourbon Barrel Stout too. Oh so Good but brewed only once per year, glad I stocked up :)

mgeoffriau

mgeoffriau

Audioholic Intern
Sipping on some Pere Magloire VSOP calvados, eating a few springerle cookies, and watching a recorded NOVA about some Icelandic volcanos while the fireplace crackles.

Life isn't too bad sometimes.

Kruppy

Kruppy

Audioholic
That looks good!
It was :). Too bad it's a seasonal brew. I got lucky and grabbed the last 4 pack a few weeks back at a local specialty store.....at 11.4% it was kicking my azz on an empty stomach.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Finishing off the Christmas beers. New Belgium brewing's Frambozen. Fruitiness of a Belgian frambozen lambic mixed with a brown ale. Enjoyable but one is enough.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
Frambozen's a good one, also liked the hoptoberfest that was out a few months ago. Enjoying an Avery ( Boulder, CO.) IPA on tap right now.
Cheers, Mac

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Brooklyn Brewing Black Chocolate Stout. Kinda heavy for a school night but good. Picked up the last two 4 packs at whole paycheck. They had plenty of the Monster Ale so I'll probably head back later in the week for that.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That Brooklyn Stout is one of my favorite stouts.
I usually get tired of some beers after a while, but not that one.
Seems hard to believe it's been one of my top five stouts for over 20 years.:eek:

Since we're talking stouts.
Surf Taco had another one that's in my top 5 and one I like better than the Brooklyn. IMHO
Ten FIDY - Oskar Blues Grill & Brewery - Lyons, CO - BeerAdvocate
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Eagle Rare 10 year old bourbon. A great bourbon at 20 or 25 bucks. Much better than Maker's Mark or Wild Turkey. No bite not too sweet.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Started drinking Martini's with New Amsterdam Gin it has a twist of citrus. Not as smooth as the lone star vodka I was drinking.

I've never drank beer or ale what's a good one to try?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Started drinking Martini's with New Amsterdam Gin it has a twist of citrus. Not as smooth as the lone star vodka I was drinking.

All of them.;)

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan

Smirnoff's amazing marketing decades ago, along with a really weird decision by Ian Fleming for what 007 would like to drink, these things were the biggest reasons why Martinis went the way of flavorless (vodka instead of gin, dry vermouth instead of sweet). Another marketing ploy by Smirnoff include the use of copper mugs for the Moscow Mule (which is really how Americans got introduced to vodka). Not a Russian thing, completely a Smirnoff invention. Rant aside. I believe the term Martini originally came from the Martinez, which was named after the city in CA. It's basically a Martini (gin instead of vodka, sweet vs dry), but the difference is the touch of Maraschino liqueur. Robert Hess does 2:1 vermouth:gin, but most people prefer 1:1. Try Plymouth Gin, or perhaps an Old Tom gin of some sorts. Ok thanks for letting me rant.

I think maybe a smooth Pilsener or lager to start with? Maybe don't jump right into the crazy high IBU beverages created by the mad scientists of San Diego. Not to make it seem more difficult, but the glassware and temperatures can sometimes be a pretty big deal. I think Carlsberg from a Carlsberg glass is stupid smooth. The Paulaner stuff like the Pils and Hefe are very smooth too, IMO. Never straight from the bottle, if you care, use a good glass.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Seriously though... Like JM said, try a regular pilsener or lager to start. Make sure it's just a regular beer...No fruit or spice or other flavorings. If you go to bars ask for a sample. Some will do this. If your at friends or families place and they are having a beer, ask to try a little in a glass.

I think the next case of beer I think I'm going to buy if Brooklyn Lager.

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Many bars will serve you a sampler with several different types of beer to try. This is a great way to experiment.
As others have said a pilsner or lager is a good place to start. Then perhaps try a dark beer or an ale. Ales can be more highly hopped, and so more bitter which you may or may not like.

+1 for Paulaner, I think Ayinger is up there too, Spaten is more common. These are all good german beers with a range so will have a pilsner or lager, dark, and bock.
Pilsner Urquell is a pilsner that's pretty widely available.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan

The interesting thing about beer is that everyone's taste will evolve. What you like when you're new to the game, you will grow tired of as you learn more and your tastes mature.
I don't really enjoy the beers I started with years ago. Back when Sam Adams Lager and Guinness were the few good beers easily available. (in my state in 1985).
It's not that they aren't both great beers, they just have become 'old hat', so to speak. Besides, I'm tired of lagers at this point.
You can usually tell when someone is just getting started with Craft Beer, they tend to like the malty sweeter types.
Acquiring a taste for good beer is a bit like learning to walk before you run.:)

I'd suggest to treat beer as we do electronics here at AH. Finding a few web sites dedicated to good, real beer.
As with speakers, beer is (with proper guidance) a matter of what you personally like. The exception is that the are known bad speakers, and known bad beer.

Try one of my favorites, the Audioholics of beer site: BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer.

This one is good to learn the different types and how to choose and taste beer: Beer Tasting Guide Demystifies Tasting Beers and Helps You Enjoy More! - KegWorks

Don't waste time or money on the Bose or HTIB type beers,:D better know as American Adjunct Beer.
Watery, pale lagers (resembling carbonated water with a foamy head) made popular by the large breweries of America after prohibition. Low bitterness, thin malts, and moderate alcohol. Focus is less on flavor and more on mass-production and consumption, cutting flavor and sometimes costs with adjunct cereal grains, like rice and corn.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'd suggest to treat beer as we do electronics here at AH. Finding a few web sites dedicated to good, real beer.
As with speakers, beer is (with proper guidance) a matter of what you personally like. The exception is that the are known bad speakers, and known bad beer.

Try one of my favorites, the Audioholics of beer site: BeerAdvocate - Respect Beer.

This one is good to learn the different types and how to choose and taste beer: Beer Tasting Guide Demystifies Tasting Beers and Helps You Enjoy More! - KegWorks
Good info.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Smirnoff's amazing marketing decades ago, along with a really weird decision by Ian Fleming for what 007 would like to drink, these things were the biggest reasons why Martinis went the way of flavorless (vodka instead of gin, dry vermouth instead of sweet). Another marketing ploy by Smirnoff include the use of copper mugs for the Moscow Mule (which is really how Americans got introduced to vodka). Not a Russian thing, completely a Smirnoff invention. Rant aside. I believe the term Martini originally came from the Martinez, which was named after the city in CA. It's basically a Martini (gin instead of vodka, sweet vs dry), but the difference is the touch of Maraschino liqueur. Robert Hess does 2:1 vermouth:gin, but most people prefer 1:1. Try Plymouth Gin, or perhaps an Old Tom gin of some sorts. Ok thanks for letting me rant.

I think maybe a smooth Pilsener or lager to start with? Maybe don't jump right into the crazy high IBU beverages created by the mad scientists of San Diego. Not to make it seem more difficult, but the glassware and temperatures can sometimes be a pretty big deal. I think Carlsberg from a Carlsberg glass is stupid smooth. The Paulaner stuff like the Pils and Hefe are very smooth too, IMO. Never straight from the bottle, if you care, use a good glass.
I have plymouth on my to try list, but it was 30 bucks so I decided to try my father-in-laws gin which is like 12 a bottle.

Carlsberg is something I've seen before in Europe. I will have to try it out.

The interesting thing about beer is that everyone's taste will evolve. What you like when you're new to the game, you will grow tired of as you learn more and your tastes mature.

Don't waste time or money on the Bose or HTIB type beers,:D better know as American Adjunct Beer.
I'm probably not the typical beer newbie being almost 30. So I suspect my taste buds are a bit more refined than the typical teenager. I do appreciate the links and certainly will give something a go soon.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I have plymouth on my to try list, but it was 30 bucks so I decided to try my father-in-laws gin which is like 12 a bottle.
You're right it's not cheap. While admittedly I'm not a gin expert, it is probably the finest tasting straight up gin I've ever sipped. At my local store, I can't remember the outfit giving the rating, but it's the only time I've seen a spirit with a 100 rating tagged below with anything they carry. It's rather rare, but make sure you don't confuse the normal stuff with the extra strong "Navy strength". You should also check out their purple Sloe gin. The berries are in season around wintertime, but the gin they make with it is an excellent lighter summertime drink IMO; it's around 26% maybe, throw a couple of oz in a collins type of glass, half a lemon's juice, some fizzy water (I prefer Perrier to stuff like San Pellegrino because the carbonation is a lot sharper). It's pretty yummy. Chicks dig it too.

I like the more juniper-in-your-face Beefeater for drinks like The Last Word and Corpse Reviver #2. That stuff is pretty cheap near me, I think like $18 for 1.75 L.

Carlsberg is something I've seen before in Europe. I will have to try it out.
I think it's Danish. Maybe we should have some "beer pairings" Like um, Carlsberg/Dynaudio, Fuller's/B&W, Cismontaine/Ascend, La Fin du Monde/PSB, La Baisienne/Focal. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis