What are the best audio amplifiers in consumer audio?

Who makes the best audio amplifiers in consumer audio?

• Adcom

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • ATI

• Boulder

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Bryston

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Classe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emotiva

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • McIntosh

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Outlaw

• Pass Labs

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Krell

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think on the contrary. If people were in the same room, it would be a bunch of guys disagreeing amicably. When we see each other face to face, I think it's less likely that we would fight over something as trivial. It's sort of (but not exactly) like disagreeing on which foods or drinks taste better. :)

I wouldn't care about any DBT on foods and drinks. :)
For the vast majority I agree, but there a couple that close proximity and some alcohol might lead to a slap-fight, and possibly, biting :D

- Rich

RichB

RichB

I often find when I try something new that I'm not used to, I'll seem to prefer it. This happens for subjective tastes from food to sound. I recently bought a Fender Mustang III modeling guitar amp. I change to a new sound and I love it for a while. Eventually it grows old and I end up back to my "normal" tone. Kind of like the first few dates with a new girl you're hitting it off with. Everything is new, fun, and exciting....
Yep. like DSP room modes, 3D, and maybe even Atmos (for music).
It's fun at first...

- Rich

chris357

chris357

Senior Audioholic
I had a B&K 200 watt amp, that I thought was pretty awesome. Then I upgraded to a Krell KAV3250 250watts and I felt like there were times when the bass out of my NHT 2.5i's was more solid and full then with the B&K. However the Krell cost 8 times as much. so not sure it was worth it, and it got hotter so myu AC bill was more.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think the best amps are the ones we own now, isn't that why we bought them, no matter what brand they are or how much or little they cost. Mine might not be the best on the market but I am very satisfied with my choice of amps I made. So to me they're the best amps.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

I used to think it was a fact that even harmonic distortion always more pleasing, at the same %. After reading that article, I now suspect this is not a black and white thing.
I think you were right originally.

Let's just look at 2nd and 3rd harmonics for simplicity. A strong (above audible thresholds) 2nd, being an exact octave higher, is consonant, largely masked by the fundamental, and tends to add fullness or fatness. A strong 3rd, being a musical quint, or twelfth, lends a covered, nasal effect. At equal amounts, on their own, they sound quite different, and the 3rd, being further removed will be more distinctly noticeable. Which is more pleasing is subjective.

What happens when there is a mix? A strong 2nd combined with a strong 3rd tends to open the covered effect, with a more brassy overall sound.

This only really matters to folks using tube amps for their musical instruments, the Nelson Pass DIY crew, and their audiophile cousins in tube town.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you were right originally.

Let's just look at 2nd and 3rd harmonics for simplicity. A strong (above audible thresholds) 2nd, being an exact octave higher, is consonant, largely masked by the fundamental, and tends to add fullness or fatness. A strong 3rd, being a musical quint, or twelfth, lends a covered, nasal effect. At equal amounts, on their own, they sound quite different, and the 3rd, being further removed will be more distinctly noticeable. Which is more pleasing is subjective.

Nelson Pass recognized that in his article, but he cited that tests have shown that roughly the same % of people would prefer either the 2nd or 3rd harmonics. I do think for amps that produce more higher order harmonics, those that produced less odd harmonics would win. However, well designed SS amps just don't produce higher order harmonics high enough to be considered audible unless driven well above their rated output.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Nelson Pass recognized that in his article, but he cited that tests have shown that roughly the same % of people would prefer either the 2nd or 3rd harmonics. I do think for amps that produce more higher order harmonics, those that produced less odd harmonics would win. However, well designed SS amps just don't produce higher order harmonics high enough to be considered audible unless driven well above their rated output.
Good morning, Peng. Merry New Year!

Those preferences probably do reflect his customer base. Keep in mind that that article appears on the First Watt page, which caters to DIY and focuses on designs more aimed at engineering elegance and austerity, giving up technical performance for simplicity. The discussion of harmonic coloration occurs simply because he knows who his audience is (low power single ended tube users seeking a ss alternative).

Also, past a certain point, all high order harmonics sound objectionable, even or odd. In my own messing around with this, once an amp is overdriven to the point that higher order harmonics result, it sounds like crap. But a low order, monotonic harmonic pattern (even and odd in diminishing amounts, and no higher order harmonics) slips by the ear quite unnoticed. Well, except for the compression, which is part of the whole "tube watts are more powerful" misconception.

I fully agree. Clean, copious watts are cheap, so this is really only relevant for the folks who overdrive their amps intentionally.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Ah oversight. Made this post with a 102 deg fever today so my mind ain't so clear. My brain is running in Class A right now.

I am NOT of the camp that all amps sound the same. I have too much experience that has shown me otherwise even under controlled listening tests but to each is own.
I agree with that. I'm a Quad current dumper user and have been since the 70s. To me they just sound so neutral and relaxed compared pretty much anything else. I have never felt any need to switch horses.

A really elegant circuit, with a very low component count. Intellectually very elegant.

Last edited:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
........ but there a couple that close proximity and some alcohol might lead to a slap-fight, and possibly, biting :D

- Rich
That's the exact reason we don't invite Doug that much anymore.

:D

T

TheHills44060

Junior Audioholic
Out of that list I've heard all but a Boulder so without having first hand experience with every one of those amps it 's not fair to choose.

flyboylr45

flyboylr45

Senior Audioholic
Well, people would be suspicious if we agreed on everything. :D

20 YR warranty is like walking the walk IMO. Everyone else has the same opportunity to offer the 20 YR warranty and charge more money, but not a single company has.

Walk the walk.
I also think that resale value says a lot about a company and their products, even if they don't have a 20 year warranty. Hrhhmmm, Mcintosh. ;-) I may be a little biased though. ;-)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I also think that resale value says a lot about a company and their products, even if they don't have a 20 year warranty. Hrhhmmm, Mcintosh. ;-) I may be a little biased though. ;-)
McIntosh is the most beautiful IMO. So if I were a billionaire and didn't care about money or warranty, I would get McIntosh. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis