What are the best audio amplifiers in consumer audio?

Who makes the best audio amplifiers in consumer audio?

• Adcom

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • ATI

• Boulder

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Bryston

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • Classe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Emotiva

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • McIntosh

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Outlaw

• Pass Labs

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • Krell

Votes: 3 9.1%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Simple. Parasound because I own them :p :)

I voted for Bryston but only because Peng says so :D

- Rich
Wow. So 3db, RichB, PENG, ADTG, rnatalli all voted for Bryston. I believe we can close the poll now. :D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
The Pass Labs amp I have in my possession does sound a bit different than say the Classe or Emotiva. To me it sounds a bit brighter in the top end. Also it runs out of gas a lot quicker than my less expensive Emotiva XPR-1. It's tragic that an $11k amp has a rather smallish power supply given its price and size. The Pass Lab's also measures MUCH higher distortion even at lower power levels but that is by design since they use less feedback.
HomeTheaterHifi: The Pass Labs X600.8 Monoblock Power Amplifier on the Bench

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/power-amplifiers-reviews/pass-labs-x600-8-600-watt-monoblock-power-amplifier/page-4-on-the-bench.html

pass-labs-x600_8-amplifier-1-khz-22-volts-4-ohms.gif

Here is an amplifier that costs $11K each measures terribly and wins an editor's choice award.

I know that amps can measure well and sound different when driving load. But... :D

- Rich

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Given the list as-is I'm not sure how to vote. Adcom and Outlaw can be cut quickly. Adcom because they're nothing special, and Outlaw because they're just repackaged ATI stuff, albeit at lower prices. ATI amps are very nice, at least performance-wise, but the best? Hmmm. Classe is now made in China yet still sold at silly prices, since B&W bought them. McIntosh is off the list IMO because those gimmicky output transformers mar otherwise high-quality, robust designs. It's time to move on, McIntosh. I've never thought Bryston was worth the prices they charge, though they're nice stuff. Krell is an interesting case, but I wouldn't buy them because I'm still pissed at them for forcing the founders out. Dumb. The new Krell designs since Dan left are an unknown. I'm with Gene on the Pass Labs issues, and balanced single-ended design does seem a little gimmicky too. Different just to be different? Boulder? They probably are "the best" on this list, build-quality-wise. The Emotiva amps are a bargain, but my experience with their CD player makes me wonder too much about build quality. The basic amps are probably the only products of theirs I'd take a chance on.

If I were buying now I'd probably choose ATI again, just for lack of a more compelling plan. The budget (ha!) Boulder 860 at $8500 looks like a work of art and measures well, but it really doesn't tempt me. The amplifier market has gotten a lot more boring over the years. A big contrast to the subwoofer market, which has gotten incredibly interesting in the past couple of years.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
So the QSC pro amp doesn't make the main speakers sound good?

Does the QSC pro amp make the subwoofer sound good? Bass is very important. I use high quality solid state amps for all my subs, not just my speakers. :D
I only checked the mains with that amp. I am using an AB International 800.2 for my subs. The rear subs I don't have yet. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a decent amp and a real good amp on the subs. I will compare the AB to the QSC since they both have the same power rating, it's just so many wires and so little room.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I only checked the mains with that amp. I am using an AB International 800.2 for my subs. The rear subs I don't have yet. I don't know if I could tell the difference between a decent amp and a real good amp on the subs. I will compare the AB to the QSC since they both have the same power rating, it's just so many wires and so little room.
Well, you know how a lot of guys say, "This amp makes the bass on my towers faster, tighter, punchier, etc.". So if the amp can make the significant difference in the tower bass, why not the subwoofer bass?

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
What are the Best Amplifiers in the World?

If you have a thirst for power, you might just be in luck. Today Audioholics takes a peek at some of the best power amplifiers on the market, including a few models that are affordable by mere mortals. To make this list, the amplifier in question must offer power and finesses and be a model we have direct experience with either on our test bench or demos at various trade shows. Of course, this isn't meant to be a comprehensive list of all the great amplifiers on the market. As such, if you have a favorite amplifier that you think deserves an honorable mention, make sure to let us know in this thread below as well as casting your vote in our poll!

Read: World's Best Audio Amplifiers
I think you should make a new list of best amps in the world. To me your list looks like going to a China Buffet. It's like spare ribs or fried rice. Start over when you fell better.

macddmac

macddmac

Audioholic General
I voted Boulder due to the lack of a Parasound choice and they truly are built like a tank.
Would buy them if they were in the budget.
What the heck, I'm a buy Colorado guy when possible :)
Cheers, Mac

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I think you should make a new list of best amps in the world. To me your list looks like going to a China Buffet. It's like spare ribs or fried rice. Start over when you fell better.
Those around here do offer crabs occasionally too.

crab-300x200.jpg

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Asian buffets are the only ones I'll step foot in :)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Wow. So 3db, RichB, PENG, ADTG, rnatalli all voted for Bryston. I believe we can close the poll now. :D
I happened to browse Bryston's web site again, and I'm still baffled. Bryston amps are about twice the price of a competitive ATI amp. Not that I'm pushing ATI, I didn't even vote, but what's the big deal with Bryston? They're even as ugly as ATI.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Anthem isn't on the list?

I call shenanigans :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Maybe that China Buffet menu wasn't such a good idea. To choose from amps that cost 250k to under 1k is not an easy task. Bryston I have never listened to but did see a 5 channel one about 10 years ago. I voted for Pass Labs since I've owned a few Threshold amps in the past. Now if I had the money, which I don't at this time I would buy one from this http://www.powermodules.com/ company. I purchased the (Belles 100) 30 years ago). I did sell it a few years back with major regret but it's still in use today as far as I know. Outlaw is the only amp on that list that I have owned and that was 120wattsX7 and for the price I was impressed. It's kind of hard to vote on a product that you never owned.
Not to get off track here. Pre-pros I have owned in the past: Atlantic Technologies P2000 (which was nothing more than an Outlaw 950), 2 Rotel, 2 B&K and 1 Krell Showcase, now I know these are outdated but which brand would you have chosen??

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I happened to browse Bryston's web site again, and I'm still baffled. Bryston amps are about twice the price of a competitive ATI amp. Not that I'm pushing ATI, I didn't even vote, but what's the big deal with Bryston? They're even as ugly as ATI.
I don't understand the deal of any of these expensive amps. I voted Bryston because out of that lot, they seem to stand by their product with a solid warranty.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You won't see me buying any amps over $2K anytime soon. :)

If I were buying a MCH amp today, it would probably be a 200WPC x 5CH amp for around $1500.

But as 3db pointed out, Bryston is the ONLY company who "walks the walk" when all other companies with even more expensive amps only "talk the talk" in regards to warranty and taking care of their valued clients.

Warranty to me isn't just about repair service. It's another feature and status symbol - just as much as "Made in USA or England" or pretty aesthetic.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
HomeTheaterHifi: The Pass Labs X600.8 Monoblock Power Amplifier on the Bench

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/power-amplifiers/power-amplifiers-reviews/pass-labs-x600-8-600-watt-monoblock-power-amplifier/page-4-on-the-bench.html

View attachment 14443

Here is an amplifier that costs $11K each measures terribly and wins an editor's choice award.

I know that amps can measure well and sound different when driving load. But... :D

- Rich
That's a horrific measurement to be sure.
You're paying for the 20 year warranty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis