Well, I had my first post deleted at AudioReview.

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
Hmmm...I doubt that Gene and Hawke envisioned Audioholics as a refugee center! :D

Anyway, we are generally a sceptical bunch here but try to be a bit mellower than, say, Peter Aczel (whom I admire). We get a high percentage of newbies here looking for guidance thru the thicket. So be gentle with the ill-informed when trying to lead them to the Truth. Eschew long drawn out confrontations with the obstinate and let them find their own way back to the Audio Asylum.

And watch this space for my cutting-edge research on the effects of moon phase and small animal sacrifices on soundstaging and microdynamics! :p

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Didja' ever hear of my product...

..."SoundStage In A Can"...

Was all the rage for a time...

jimHJJ(...I'll see if I still have any of the paperwork...)

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Resident Loser said:
..."SoundStage In A Can"...

Was all the rage for a time...

jimHJJ(...I'll see if I still have any of the paperwork...)
Is that anything like Hurrican Frances Wind in a can they're hawking on Ebay????

Bruce :eek:

P

Pat D

Audioholic
It's truly bizarre, Mark. The original poster (not a regular) asked about the issues, but the mod apparently won't allow him to hear about all the main viewpoints. This is to serve newbies? Hah!

I haven't determined how much of this stuff I can put up with. Apparently newbies are not to learn the true picture.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

To be honest, I didn't remember AR had a forum, although I'd imagine I've probably seen it at some point. I don't know the "politics" of that site, but playing devil's advocate, I can see their point. If every time someone casually mentions how much she likes the sound of something they get ambushed with beligerent calls for proof, she's not likely to make any posts. And not every single opinion can really be verified with a study. Besides, why should it have to be? Show some courtesy and allow people to speak without jumping them.

Again, to be fair, I don't frequent the site, so I don't know the issues you guys have to deal with. Sounds like the mod is a bit heavy handed.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The admin is not my idea of a rational person. I asked him in PM(I will post the correspondence if anyone requests) and on the forum to explain what he meant by his broadly generalizing terms that he was using when he first showed up, and he refused to answer/define his meanings. He reacted in what I can only interpret to be 'lazy' replies without ever answering me, but instead threatening me. About 10 minutes after he sent the last message to me he posted the new forum ruls that prohibited any discusison of lab results, dbt or abx testing in the main forums(only allowed in a special sideline forum). I made a reply to somoene else(not even the admin) that the new rules had been posted, and that the forum was now an official safe haven for ingorance. I then noticed some of my posts had been deleted. I was banned within 10 minutes after this post. :D

But I suppose he was looking for a reason to ban me anyways. I do tend to come off as a somewhat abrasive personality sometimes........ :D

-Chris

Rob Babcock said:
To be honest, I didn't remember AR had a forum, although I'd imagine I've probably seen it at some point. I don't know the "politics" of that site, but playing devil's advocate, I can see their point. If every time someone casually mentions how much she likes the sound of something they get ambushed with beligerent calls for proof, she's not likely to make any posts. And not every single opinion can really be verified with a study. Besides, why should it have to be? Show some courtesy and allow people to speak without jumping them.

Again, to be fair, I don't frequent the site, so I don't know the issues you guys have to deal with. Sounds like the mod is a bit heavy handed.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
To: RB...

...I don't think anyone ever "ambushed" the subjectivists...particularly the newbs...for the most part, folks were advised of human frailties, the pitfalls of expectations and the like, lack of substantive data, the Barnum Efffect and, of course, shills and snake-oil...the real hard-core "night and day" folks were certainly called on their post's. Claims for cables, eutectic solders, styrofoam cups, etc. pretty much was fair game...both sides paricipated with relish...and on many occasions it got hot without a doubt. Previous AR mgmt. didn't seem to have a problem and pretty much let things go it's natural route...I'm sure the hit rate was higher then, than it is now...especially since I see admin literally begging for folks to join up...

The segregation of the objectivist POV to "The Audio Lab"(originally called something else much less complimentary) completely dismissed it's validity in the overall debates. If the newbs are scared, how many are gonna' go to the "LAB"?...that is the bone of contention IMO.

jimHJJ(...in a nutshell...)

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
To: WmAx...

"...I do tend to come off as a somewhat abrasive personality sometimes..."

If that's the case, what the he!! do they make of me?

jimHJJ(...the world is not a pretty place...)

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
WmAx said:
I was banned within 10 minutes after this post. :D

But I suppose he was looking for a reason to ban me anyways. I do tend to come off as a somewhat abrasive personality sometimes........ :D

-Chris
Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm amazed I'm still there, although I have not checked this morning......I sent a frank reply back to one of the admins who sent me a PM the other day asking me to "tone it down". I even agreed that at times I was being abrasive....

-Bruce
(no eek this time.....)

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
markw John Escillaliar (sp) said:
Whoa...now, that's an iteration I've never seen before :p ..you have made it to the hall of fame, alongside such notable entries as:

Escadillo (the all time leader, heard over the PA system at the Penn Relays, by about 75,000 people)
Escalibur
Eclair
Escahoo
Escawhat
Escawhere
Escawhen
Escawhy
Escalator
Escarpment

Cheers, John

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
Mudcat said:
jneutronEscadillo (the all time leader said:
How about escapee
I'll thank you to keep that quiet..they haven't found me yet..it took a while to knaw my hands free so's I could type..my nose got sore..
Hours to go...

Cheers, John

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Hey, I tried...

jneutron said:
Whoa...now, that's an iteration I've never seen before :p ..you have made it to the hall of fame, alongside such notable entries as:

Escadillo (the all time leader, heard over the PA system at the Penn Relays, by about 75,000 people)
Escalibur
Eclair
Escahoo
Escawhat
Escawhere
Escawhen
Escawhy
Escalator
Escarpment

Cheers, John
I've been on other lists before and this beats most of 'em. In fact, at another site I think I'm pretty much at the top of one ;)

BTW, what IS the correct spelling?

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
Well, I am now wondering what is going to happen over at AR, I am in a rather heated debate about the bias of the moderation there with one of the new moderators. He deleted one of my posts, yet left on of Jon's where he clearly called me a liar and then drew another engineers name out of a hat and libeled him - all in the same post.

Brother.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=53467#post53467

-Bruce

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Isn't this the guy who started the "MTRYCRAFTS IS AN IDIOT" thread a few months ago?

It does seem that all the moderaters weigh in strongly on one side of the yea/nay fence, doesn't it?

After all, this mod started this thread just to cause trouble. It started out pretty sanely but, in post three of this thread he came out swinging.

"I'm just shocked that no naysayers are willing to think for themselves and venture any thoughts about the technical merits of Risch's idea. The simple possibility that Risch's approach might prove to provide another measurement aspect that could help to quantify the sound of a component is reason enough to be excited about it. But, drawing that conclusion relies on independent thinking instead of on edicts from external authorities, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised about the lack of response."

I guess insults are fine if he (or jon) throws them.

...looks like he got just what he asked for and now can't stand the heat.

Watch it Bruce. That's a pretty itchy delete finger he's got there.

...I wonder if the other mods are still watching this thread here at this site. I know they were at one point.

Last edited:
FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
"Isn't this the guy who started the "MTRYCRAFTS IS AN IDIOT" thread a few months ago?"

Thanks for the reminder, I'll go look and see if that isn't still in the archives!

-Bruce
(Beginning to feel like the dog again)

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
FLZapped said:
"Isn't this the guy who started the "MTRYCRAFTS IS AN IDIOT" thread a few months ago?"

Thanks for the reminder, I'll go look and see if that isn't still in the archives!

-Bruce
(Beginning to feel like the dog again)

Nope, it was 996Turbo, also a moderator, who personally attacked a member and allowed others to as well, until Chris stepped in and closed the thread.

-Bruce

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
Well, consider the sources...

...one of 'em is the self-proclaimed "big cheese"( el queso grande) and another is "super moderator"...but no, no, no...it's not a power trip...yeah, right...by your words they shall know you...

jimHJJ(...or sumphin' like dat...)

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, same old Risch. If my memory serves me; he was always "shocked" and "suprised" that not everyone would buy his *bologna sandwhiches. The bad thing here is that now the AR moderation is stocking some of his product on their shelves; and seem to think it's good eatin' ! :eek:

Please excuse me; I have to vomit.

-Chris

*Note: I am not nesecarrily referring to the linked post. I am referring to the user in general, based on past observations.

markw said:
It does seem that all the moderaters weigh in strongly on one side of the yea/nay fence, doesn't it?

After all, this mod started this thread just to cause trouble. It started out pretty sanely but, in post three of this thread he came out swinging.

"I'm just shocked that no naysayers are willing to think for themselves and venture any thoughts about the technical merits of Risch's idea. The simple possibility that Risch's approach might prove to provide another measurement aspect that could help to quantify the sound of a component is reason enough to be excited about it. But, drawing that conclusion relies on independent thinking instead of on edicts from external authorities, so maybe I shouldn't be surprised about the lack of response."

I guess insults are fine if he (or jon) throws them.

...looks like he got just what he asked for and now can't stand the heat.

Watch it Bruce. That's a pretty itchy delete finger he's got there.

...I wonder if the other mods are still watching this thread here at this site. I know they were at one point.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis