Well, I had my first post deleted at AudioReview.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I had the audacity to offer a dissenting opinion to one of their new moderators. It originaly was post # 9 . The funny thing is that my post is quoted in it's entirety in the two posts following.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=6481

This is the post that started it.

"I recently purchased a paradigm pw 2200 v2, and I am hearing differing info as to go with a high end subwoofer cable or go with an average cable because some argue that the sound quality difference between cables is minimal. What do you think?"

Several responses, including mine, pretty much agreed with the "minimal" position. Some actually suggested there is no difference in subwoofer cables, save styling and price.

Then, one poster responds with this direct quote "I've found cables to make fairly obvious differences regarding PRAT, frequency extension, resolution, etc."

Now, that's a lot of buzzwords and purple prose, particularly for a subwoofer cable.

First off, virtually knowledegble people have always maintained that cable differences are subtle at best and, even then, is extremely system dependent. So, in light of the use of the word "obvious" in this blanket statement, it's only good, common sense to question the validity (or even possibility the truth?) of such advice, is it not?

Science would truly question the differences between interconnects of similar gauge, length and construction. I've even heard differences myself but they could be explained when the circumstances were examined but, believe me, with functonal cables, "obvious" is not a word I would use to quantify them.

Secondly, does this response reflect the resopndents experience with subwoofer cables? If not, then it's just supposition and has no basis in their experiences and is simply jargon from a magazine.

If so, this response is truly evidence of extra normal hearing abilities, heretofore unmatched by any other mortal.

I'll assume it's his actual experience. Since such comments indicate results unmatched by others, one would assume that further proof could be obtained.

That's kinda like someone telling me they could jump off a building and fly. I certainly would ask to see that! And, unless they could do it I would be within my rights to doubt them and that's all well and good. End of subject as I walk away chuckling.

But, if that person were to suggest that others could also and they should try it, then it would become an issue, would it not? Should not such advice be questioned?

Unfortunatly, that response was from a moderator and when I rebutted him, the post was deleted.

It's a new darkness falling over there when one cannot disagree with management...

Last edited:
S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
lol
it's only a message-board
(not aimed at you since your point seems to be quite valid)
people take things way to seriously at times. if they want to see a moderator's nightmare then send them to www.gurn.net (this is NOT a plug)
every other board seems to pale in comparison.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
One way to stop your posts from being deleted, stop posting there. Waste of time now :D

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Look at what you started

Mark....My gosh....I looked at the site, and it is an all out war between the mod and everyone else....it looks like everyone was supporting you and ripping to bits the mod.

Good Job!!! :D

U

Unregistered

Just sniffing around...

...looking for a new place and giving markw a little moral support...They have deleted some of my stuff, and locked threads...

The new broom is trying to sweep the place clean, a lot of good ol' boys left the site due to the unwelcome new regime's tactics...some of the mods really consider themselves hot stuff, although for the life of me, I have yet to see any evidence as to why that might be the case...

They seem to be attempting to stifle any real debate, trying to make it sort of an AA lite, but to hear them tell it, they see themselves as "protecting" newbies(who run like scared rabbits) from us big, bad objectivists and the mayhem we cause...even set up a nice little pen for us to play in when we wish to speak of proscribed subjects. Sfunny tho', they seem to be begging for new members...maybe they shudda tried keepin' the old ones!

It's a shame, it used to be a pretty good place...even if Nomex was required at times...but hey, these guys take all this cr@p so seriously...they just don't get it...

jimHJJ(...have a nice and safe weekend folks...you too mtry...)

S

spenny

Audioholic Intern
all boards go through crap phases. what's important is how they deal with it at the time!
do you try and reclaim what it was once like or go with the flow?
(semi-loaded question i know...)

Unregistered said:
The n*w broom is trying to sw**p th* plac* cl*an, a lot of good ol' boys l*ft th* sit* du* to th* unw*lcome n*w r*gim*'s tactics...som* of th* mods r*ally consid*r th*ms*lv*s hot stuff, although for th* lif* of m*, I hav* y*t to s** any *vid*nc* as to why that might b* th* case...
I'm sorry we don't allow the rampant use of the letter 'e' around here. Next time watch yourself or you might be banned.

LOL :D

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
hawke said:
I'm sorry w@ don't allow th@ rampant us@ of th@ l@tt@r '@' around h@r@. N@xt tim@ watch yours@lf or you might b@ bann@d.

LOL :D

Car@ful Hawk@, bib broth@r is watching

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just wait till all nouns and verbs must be renamed marklar.

The new marklar is trying to marklar the marklar clean, a lot of good ol' marklars left the marklar due to the unwelcome new marklar's marklars...some of the marklars really marklar themselves hot marklar, although for the markalr of marklar, marklar have yet to marklar any marklar as to why that might be the marklar...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Unregistered said:
...looking for a new place and giving markw a little moral support...They have deleted some of my stuff, and locked threads...

The new broom is trying to sweep the place clean, a lot of good ol' boys left the site due to the unwelcome new regime's tactics...some of the mods really consider themselves hot stuff, although for the life of me, I have yet to see any evidence as to why that might be the case...

They seem to be attempting to stifle any real debate, trying to make it sort of an AA lite, but to hear them tell it, they see themselves as "protecting" newbies(who run like scared rabbits) from us big, bad objectivists and the mayhem we cause...even set up a nice little pen for us to play in when we wish to speak of proscribed subjects. Sfunny tho', they seem to be begging for new members...maybe they shudda tried keepin' the old ones!

It's a shame, it used to be a pretty good place...even if Nomex was required at times...but hey, these guys take all this cr@p so seriously...they just don't get it...

jimHJJ(...have a nice and safe weekend folks...you too mtry...)
That is not fair! You need to register, make a name for yourslef here too :D

Good to see you. I think you will like it here even better ;) Swerd may venture here as well.

the owner of the site [Admin: just to clairfy - the site who's incident started off this thread - NOT Audioholics :) ] is a marketing firm, sells info to clients and has a finantial interest in drawing in the right advertisers who don't like their products wacked and badmouthed. You cannot sell cables, expensive cables, if they sound the same :D

Nomex? Why else was it invented for if no one wears them :D :D

Edit: (HawKe - clarification, hope you don't mind)

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

You guys need to watch those

responses. I cannot afford stem cell injection to repair my rib cage :D :D :D

U

Unregistered

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
mtrycrafts said:
One way to stop your posts from being deleted, stop posting there. Waste of time now :D

Waste of time?!?!!? Mtry, are you sick, I thought you liked biting ankles????

-Bruce

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

FLZapped said:
Waste of time?!?!!? Mtry, are you sick, I thought you liked biting ankles????

-Bruce
Oh, I do like knocking heads, biting ankles and more, but they brought in the big sticks I cannot fight, being banned. So, better part of valor is to just depart quietly :D

Welcome aboard. Maybe you will get the official treatment too but, my reputation preceeded me here :p

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
It's like old home week...

...nice to be here...

Things are gettin' real silly over @AR...can't even post a response without some veiled threats...very myopic IMO...although there may be a re-think of the hard-line attitude as have been only "suggestions" to continue certain threads in the LAB...the intent is there however...

jimHJJ(...hello all...)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Resident Loser said:
...nice to be here...

Things are gettin' real silly over @AR...can't even post a response without some veiled threats...very myopic IMO...although there may be a re-think of the hard-line attitude as have been only "suggestions" to continue certain threads in the LAB...the intent is there however...

jimHJJ(...hello all...)
The same goes for me… nice to be here… :)

I'm afraid the bleak pressures of the commercial marketplace has destroyed the forum that we used to have at AR.com. At the suggestion of Skeptic, I looked for the owner of Audio Reviews to complain and found that it is a marketing data consulting company (E-centives, Inc. http://www.e-centives.com/ ) that sells consumer preference data to various clients, usually the mass marketing companies that advertise and sell audio gear, computers, cameras, cars, etc. I was surprised to learn that they are just around the corner from my office here in Maryland. So I phoned them to complain to a real human. I came away from that conversation with the clear impression that they only care about doing business with their clients. Our fun little forum is merely a source of data for them to mine. It seems that the truth about audio gear (especially about audio cables) offended some of their potential clients.

This certainly explains their attempts to segregate cable posts in general from scientific discussion (and I use that term loosely :D) of the possibility that cables were incabable of performing as so many claim. It made for easier data mining and hid the naysayers from their potential clients. Our efforts were apparently effective enough to force at least one marketing consulting company to attempt to stifle the discussion.

So let's remember that - and forget the rest - as we scrape it off our shoes and continue here at this site.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Actually,

...Dan Banquer (sp?) and John Escillaliar (sp), aka J Neutron were doing quite a formidable job eons before any of us migrated here. Now, there's some heavyweight know how to stand up against the technobabble at other sites!

Too many cooks can spoil the broth and make it unpallatable to the diners.

The problem with serious research is that there is always the possibility that they just might discover something that could make a difference. Now, wether that difference is audiable is yet another issue entirely.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Greetings fellow AudioReview users. Good to see you here.

Unfortunately, I was the first person banned from AR. But maybe people like me better when I'm absent. :)

-Chris

FLZapped

FLZapped

Audioholic
WmAx said:
Greetings fellow AudioReview users. Good to see you here.

Unfortunately, I was the first person banned from AR. But maybe people like me better when I'm absent. :)

-Chris
Interesting. I am amazed they haven't given me the boot yet. I've had the 50 grit after the moderators for several days.....

I was amused to see Best Buy advertizing here. I bet that would make those audio snobs like E-Stat gag up thier lunch....

-Bruce :eek:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis