AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just finished the Watchmen TV show. I wasn't expecting much, really. I have been a big fan of the comic for a long time, and thought the 2009 movie was a pretty decent adaptation. There was just no need for anything else, the story was complete, so I thought this was just going to be a derivative action show. I would not have given it a chance if it weren't for all the praise, so I thought to give it an episode or two to see if it merits the hype. I ended up really liking it. It was a strange show and not like anything else on TV. The closest thing like it is the WestWorld TV show. However, for those who object politics being messaged into their television entertainment, they are going to hate this. It is highly politically charged, from beginning to end, but then so was the comic book, so it isn't a legitimate criticism of the show to rip on it for being heavily political.

By the way, it really helps to have read the comic to track everything that is going on. The show pretty much assumes the reader has familiarity with the comic, and it is a direct successor of the comic, NOT the 2009 movie. There is an important plot point that hinges on an event in the comic that occurs very differently in the 2009 movie, so much so that people who are going in only having seen the movie may be confused. But the comic is well worth reading and is rightfully considered one of the best comic books ever created.
I loved the 2009 Watchmen movie. Until I saw it, I had never heard of "Watchmen".

So I was hoping the new HBO Watchmen show was like the 2009 movie.

I've only seen the 1st episode. I liked it a lot. But I was a little disappointed it was nothing like the 2009 Watchmen movie. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I loved the 2009 Watchmen movie. Until I saw it, I had never heard of "Watchmen".

I've only seen the 1st episode. I liked it a lot. But I was a little disappointed it was nothing like the 2009 Watchmen movie. :D
If you loved the movie, try reading the comic. It's a graphic novel. I know it might feel weird for a grown-ass dude to read a comic book, but it really is worth it. It's that good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Or like Panteragstk turned me on to, the Watchmen motion comic series from 2008/2009 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1322240/

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Just finished the Watchmen TV show. I wasn't expecting much, really. I have been a big fan of the comic for a long time, and thought the 2009 movie was a pretty decent adaptation. There was just no need for anything else, the story was complete, so I thought this was just going to be a derivative action show. I would not have given it a chance if it weren't for all the praise, so I thought to give it an episode or two to see if it merits the hype. I ended up really liking it. It was a strange show and not like anything else on TV. The closest thing like it is the WestWorld TV show. However, for those who object politics being messaged into their television entertainment, they are going to hate this. It is highly politically charged, from beginning to end, but then so was the comic book, so it isn't a legitimate criticism of the show to rip on it for being heavily political.

By the way, it really helps to have read the comic to track everything that is going on. The show pretty much assumes the reader has familiarity with the comic, and it is a direct successor of the comic, NOT the 2009 movie. There is an important plot point that hinges on an event in the comic that occurs very differently in the 2009 movie, so much so that people who are going in only having seen the movie may be confused. But the comic is well worth reading and is rightfully considered one of the best comic books ever created.
Agreed. At first I was like "WTF is up with the squid?" Having only seen the movie I was a bit confused. Then I got the motion comic @lovinthehd mentioned and it's pretty much frame for frame the book (which I got for Christmas) as far as I can tell. Makes much more sense now.

I am really happy with the show. MUCH better than I thought it would be. I do hope they continue, but we won't know if they are for some time. Right now it looks like it won't.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis