Want a phone that just works! Sick of iPhone/Apple useless crap in their effing updates!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
voice and date yes accessing a tower but !, wifi is different. Just like my old ipad I can access the internet via wifi and my ipad doesn't have a sim card, but zero cellular access.
"Users of modern smartphones can stay connected without a physical SIM card as long as there is access to the internet. In most cases, you need a Wi-Fi connection for regular communication using a phone without a SIM card. , you only need a sim if you are using voice/data, but not wifi. "
Who mentioned WiFi? My description should have been recognized as referring only to the cell system and eSIM works fine. I even mentioned cell phones and towers.

If you use a word like naive and don't indicate sarcasm, why would anyone automatically think it's sarcasm?

highfigh

highfigh

Most correct, Except for 911 service which WILL connect from any mobile phone regardless of make/model/sim or esim presence. As long as the phone was officially sold in the USA (made for the USA market)
That's true but it had to be added because the original cell phone systems didn't have a way to use 911. That act was introduced in 1999. Government takeover was part of the design, though. Some phones are only meant or set up to use 911.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Who mentioned WiFi? My description should have been recognized as referring only to the cell system and eSIM works fine. I even mentioned cell phones and towers.

If you use a word like naive and don't indicate sarcasm, why would anyone automatically think it's sarcasm?
Just stating what you noted " Cell phones can't use the system if they don't have a physical SIM or eSIM- pings in both directions are part of the system, by design. " for voice and data that is true, but your phone still will work wifi. But you are correct on voice and data use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Amen brother! I have the iPhone 14 pro max. I wish Apple would At least give me the choice of what you want updated on Your device. Adding Useless wallpaper, new Emojis etc. Apple loves turning on Bluetooth, Location, Facetime, Gaming etc, after an update. Every time after an Apple update I have to go into my settings and turn all those back off. I do Not upload photos, Banking information, Account information, other apps like Amazon or the apps that I use to pay my bills to the iCloud.

Apple constantly begs me to upload photos and whatever to the cloud they can kiss it. Every time I backup my phone Apple constantly tells me oh you got all these apps turned off, not to be uploaded to the cloud. Turning these on would make it much easier if you decided to purchase a new phone or transfer the information to another phone apple can kiss it.
We both have iPhone 14 Pro Max. :D

I think all phones have pros and cons. I used Samsung phones for a long time. Probably both about the same overall. Samsung has tons of bloatware also - all kinds of apps I never used and can never delete. That annoyed me more than Apple.

So coming from an Samsung user for the past 15 years, I prefer the iPhone. I hate not being able to delete apps I don't want.

highfigh

highfigh

Just stating what you noted " Cell phones can't use the system if they don't have a physical SIM or eSIM- pings in both directions are part of the system, by design. " for voice and data that is true, but your phone still will work wifi. But you are correct on voice and data use.
The 'system' when mentioning cell phones meant the 'cell phone system', with towers and transfer stations. That's not WiFi, but it involves the internet. Newer cell sites do have WiFi capability, but older generations didn't.

I installed, programmed and set up cell phones in the late-'80s, so I know how the system worked around that time, which included the addition of digital transmission for the mass market (such as it was).

For all of the talk that 5G is just better, I mentioned that some people say that the audio sounds like I'm speaking from the far end of a culvert and I need to look into that- the provider I couldn't think of at the time was Sprint and they were one of the first to use only digital transmission for their cell phones.

Just for if anyone reading this thinks that the G in 5G stands for frequency, it doesn't- 5G stands for '5th Generation'.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
We both have iPhone 14 Pro Max. :D

I think all phones have pros and cons. I used Samsung phones for a long time. Probably both about the same overall. Samsung has tons of bloatware also - all kinds of apps I never used and can never delete. That annoyed me more than Apple.

So coming from an Samsung user for the past 15 years, I prefer the iPhone. I hate not being able to delete apps I don't want.
To be fair...iOS has a LOT of preinstalled apps too. They may not be as bloaty as Samsung, but still.

What annoys me about Samsung, and a lot of other Android brands, is that they let the carriers manage the firmware. Which means extra bloat on top of what Samsung already pre-installs.

I just want the basic OS and the ability to choose what I want installed. Uninstalling apps that came on a device is irritating.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To be fair...iOS has a LOT of preinstalled apps too. They may not be as bloaty as Samsung, but still.

What annoys me about Samsung, and a lot of other Android brands, is that they let the carriers manage the firmware. Which means extra bloat on top of what Samsung already pre-installs.

I just want the basic OS and the ability to choose what I want installed. Uninstalling apps that came on a device is irritating.
Uninstalling apps on iPhones is easy. There's not that many apps to begin with.

Usually (especially for like 15 YR) I would never defend iPhones. :D

But at least with iPhones, I can delete any apps I want. With Samsung, I can't even delete their bloatware. It's the worst.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I do like the changes are making to secure apps and text messaging....let the hate flow through after my comment. Being able to let the user lock and secure apps more effectively is a step in the right direction.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I do like the changes are making to secure apps and text messaging....let the hate flow through after my comment. Being able to let the user lock and secure apps more effectively is a step in the right direction.
I used to hate Apple because I was biased. But I eventually came around and I prefer Apple over Android.

The ONLY thing I TRULY hate about my iPhone is that on Google Maps, they don't show my Driving Speed. Waze shows my Speed, but Google Maps does not show my Speed on the iPhone - only shows Speed on my Samsung. :mad: That's probably Google's a middle-finger Apple. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I used to hate Apple because I was biased. But I eventually came around and I prefer Apple over Android.

The ONLY thing I TRULY hate about my iPhone is that on Google Maps, they don't show my Driving Speed. Waze shows my Speed, but Google Maps does not show my Speed on the iPhone - only shows Speed on my Samsung. :mad: That's probably Google's a middle-finger Apple. :D
Google maps is kind of random as to when it does and doesn't show driving speed. Or the speed limit at all. Been like that for me on multiple devices.

The only reason I'm biased against apple is I don't like closed ecosystems. Professionally, I love recommending their devices to customers. The way they work with back end control systems is awesome. I just don't like them for personal use.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Google maps is kind of random as to when it does and doesn't show driving speed. Or the speed limit at all. Been like that for me on multiple devices.

The only reason I'm biased against apple is I don't like closed ecosystems. Professionally, I love recommending their devices to customers. The way they work with back end control systems is awesome. I just don't like them for personal use.
I think if I were able to hack the Samsung phones so that I can delete all apps that I don't want, I might like it better. I just can't stand it knowing I have to take what Android gives me. :D

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think if I were able to hack the Samsung phones so that I can delete all apps that I don't want, I might like it better. I just can't stand it knowing I have to take what Android Samsung gives me. :D
Fixed that. Pixel phones don't come with bloat. Unless you count the Google apps like gmail and messages (texting). It's not an OS issue, it's a manufacturer issue. Crappy software is also why I won't buy other Samsung products. I really don't like the way they handle software decisions.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Fixed that. Pixel phones don't come with bloat. Unless you count the Google apps like gmail and messages (texting). It's not an OS issue, it's a manufacturer issue. Crappy software is also why I won't buy other Samsung products. I really don't like the way they handle software decisions.
Oh, I never used any other Androids besides Samsung. So I thought they were all the same. :D

Last edited:
Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

Three words: Head Up Display, had it pre google on my 2000 Grand Prix GTP now for the past 10+ years on my BMWs.

One things that I really don't like about iPhone vs android, is that I can sort and move around app icons with more flexibility on Android. (i.e. do it alphabetically). It might be user error but can't do that on iphone.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
The 'system' when mentioning cell phones meant the 'cell phone system', with towers and transfer stations. That's not WiFi, but it involves the internet. Newer cell sites do have WiFi capability, but older generations didn't.

I installed, programmed and set up cell phones in the late-'80s, so I know how the system worked around that time, which included the addition of digital transmission for the mass market (such as it was).

For all of the talk that 5G is just better, I mentioned that some people say that the audio sounds like I'm speaking from the far end of a culvert and I need to look into that- the provider I couldn't think of at the time was Sprint and they were one of the first to use only digital transmission for their cell phones.

Just for if anyone reading this thinks that the G in 5G stands for frequency, it doesn't- 5G stands for '5th Generation'.
'cell phone system', check.,

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, I never used any other Androids besides Samsung. So I thought they were all the same. :D
Ah. In that case it makes sense. Samsung modifies Android so much you can't recognize it. A lot of other companies do the same, but they aren't doing nearly as much as Samsung.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ah. In that case it makes sense. Samsung modifies Android so much you can't recognize it. A lot of other companies do the same, but they aren't doing nearly as much as Samsung.
Like buying an HP pc....Samsung loads it with a bunch of proprietary crap that you can't delete, and your phone provider may add some, too.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of meaningless promotion ads in my emails from Samsung. I went to Samsung because I liked android more, but might consider a Pixel next time. Although I do have a work phone that is apple.

highfigh

highfigh

A lot of meaningless promotion ads in my emails from Samsung. I went to Samsung because I liked android more, but might consider a Pixel next time. Although I do have a work phone that is apple.
Because I use Yahoo, I can deal with e-mails from a phone manufacturer- I click on 'delete all' and save the ones I want. I check Spam and save the ones that went there before clicking on the trash can in the list for New, Sent, Drafts, Span & Trash- I read most of my e-mails first thing in the morning, so it's not an ongoing thing but again, it's the crap that's forced on us in OS updates.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's one reason I switched from Samsung to Pixel. The bloatware was getting to be too much and they would randomly end certain services. Best pricing for Samsung also required locking in with a carrier in Canada while the Pixels were available unlocked at a reasonable price.

That ended up being important on our last holiday. Roaming on Rogers has gone up from $7 to $15 per day which is just nuts. I just went onto Airalo and got an e-sim for $30 with 5GB of data good for 30 days. Turned off my Rogers sim and just used apps for 3 weeks and it worked perfectly. FU Rogers! :mad: You have much cheaper phone plans in the U.S.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis