WAF => A new beginning? Where should one start?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sounds exciting Jim! Nothing like progress. I sure wouldn’t mind getting on a plane to anywhere. 6deg F this morning. Ugh....

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
Go used on audiogon or ebay. Sometimes I go to audiogon to find what I like then go on ebay and type the speaker in that I found on audiogon. If that makes scence. It takes a year or so anyway to break in a speaker properly with normal use.

N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
My wife thinks my speakers are ugly ha ha ha

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
We're back from the Cruise. Now I need a vacation to get over my vacation. The weather was a bit off towards the end (Cabo), but all and all it was Fun. A lot of wine was consumed to keep those grape growers happy. ;)

While we were away all of the Inspections were completed => Electrical, plumbing, building, insulation, and the drywall has begun. To our surprise one of the workmen doing the drywall showed up this morning and was working when I wandered upstairs to find out what the noise was.

I explained about the various cut outs needed for the Atmos Speakers, and he said he'd do them as he's got a circular cutter that's very quick & accurate. All I had to do was mark the center for each hole and give him the template supplied by Polk. He didn't get it done today, but I expect it's a small job tomorrow.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Just a heads up, we got substantial completion last night February 1, 2018. And now we get to put all the wall plates, TV mounts, etc., into position as well as move most of the old stuff back to the main floor. I'm swamped but thought it best to at least post something when the end is near...;)

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
A bit of an update.

The Painter did a terrible job on the speaker grills - especially the in-wall surrounds in the Family Room. I spent hours poking out the excess paint with a needle, and they still look a bit rough. The in-ceiling speakers in the Games Room were much less so.

I assembled the Family Room System, and installed the TV on the new bracket (it works fabulously) along with the JBL L36 Decades which caused my Misses great pain. I said we'd use them for Super Bowl as I couldn't watch the game without surround sound. Afterwards I said we keep them until we had newer smaller speakers.

I was hoping their use would motivate her to decide on the white SVS Ultra Book shelves or the HSU CCB-8s. Then she noticed I had placed the Klipsch SW-112 Sub with a wire running across the floor to it (RCA cable). She got really upset that this big black box was in her new decor. So after a week or so I decided to try and appease her with the JBL Loft 30s I have for surrounds for the Games Room. After ensuring the speakers were all set to small (including the Infinity Center) I re-ran the Sony Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (their in house Audyssey like program) and tweaked it slightly, and frankly for TV or a not too loud concert Blu Ray it's not bad. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with the L-36s or the new speakers in her Interior Designed Family Room / Kitchen showplace, so I said I'd compromise using the Loft 30s with the Sub as long as she doesn't bug me about what I put into the Games Room. I said I'm going to spend a few dollars in there. She seems okay with that.

I installed a Rocketfish wireless sub kit (after i repaired it - but that's another story) which I had squirreled away for 18 months in anticipation of the Renovation. I knew my Misses wouldn't want a wire running across the floor...Anyway, I bought an new Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit for it as she didn't like both plugs used up for just the Sub; and I really didn't want to plug and unplug the Sub Kit as it has no on off switch. The Klipsch WA-2 unit mounts onto the Sub on two pins made for it, and gets its power from it. I bought it new off eBay and its should be here by Monday. The Sony STR-DN1050 Receiver can compensate for the latency although the Kit supposedly has very little.

The Games room is more of a challenge. My Misses had me bring up 50 or so boxes from the basement where we stored all of the items from the main floor during the renovation. so they are spread out all over the Games Room floor => some half empty, but most not touched. After I had the Family Room sorted, I was dying to confirm the in-ceiling speakers were functional in the Games Room.

So I cleared a space where my sweet spot is, and brought up a Lazyboy recliner, the Center Channel Speaker, and the Klipsch SW-112 Sub. (I have 3 of them -one for each system - as I got a smoking deal on them and couldn't resist it at the time. They are fine for music if set up correctly; but not really in the class of other subs now available for Home Theater.) I terminated the speaker wires feeding the Atmos Speakers with Banana Plugs. I brought up the Samsung Blu Ray Player and Denon AVR-S900W receiver. After connecting everything I decided to manually set-up the system, and made the Front Atmos Speakers my Mains, and the Rear Atmos Speakers my Surrounds. I used my SPL Meter to make everything level. I was surprised the Atmos Speakers sounded pretty good. I didn't blast them but kept the level about 60 dB just to start to break them in.

Today the Painters were in to start touch ups, and it was quite quiet. I decided to put on the Games Room system for them, with a Cable Box Feed of tunes at a low level. However, the Denon AVR-S900W "popped" after playing at low volume for only a minute or two, and the circuit protection scheme came on, and I could smell something when I unplugged it. (I haven't had a chance to disconnect it from the inputs and outputs and test it again - that's for tomorrow. If I can't figure it out it'll be off to the repair depot for a $45 diagnostic.)

I was thinking of the Denon AVR-SX6300H for the Games Room, but the problem with the AVR-S900W has me rethinking that approach now.

Last edited:
-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
  • Gents,

I just checked the Denon AVR-S900W, and the circuit protection scheme engages with nothing connected to the box. :( So it's off to the repair shop for an estimate. I'll struggle to decide if it's worth repairing a 3 year old receiver if the costs become significant. This is especially true if I am serious about going to a 7.2.4 HT Receiver in the Games Room. :rolleyes:

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Gents,

I just checked the Denon AVR-S900W, and the circuit protection scheme engages with nothing connected to the box.
So it's off to the repair shop for an estimate. I'll struggle to decide if it's worth repairing a 3 year old receiver if the costs become significant. This is especially true if I am serious about going to a 7.2.4 HT Receiver in the Games Room.
Depending on cost to repair, you might consider that NewEgg has a sale on the Denon AVR-X3400H for $550.

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
A bit of an update.

The Painter did a terrible job on the speaker grills - especially the in-wall surrounds in the Family Room. I spent hours poking out the excess paint with a needle, and they still look a bit rough. The in-ceiling speakers in the Games Room were much less so.

I assembled the Family Room System, and installed the TV on the new bracket (it works fabulously) along with the JBL L36 Decades which caused my Misses great pain. I said we'd use them for Super Bowl as I couldn't watch the game without surround sound. Afterwards I said we keep them until we had newer smaller speakers.

I was hoping their use would motivate her to decide on the white SVS Ultra Book shelves or the HSU CCB-8s. Then she noticed I had placed the Klipsch SW-112 Sub with a wire running across the floor to it (RCA cable). She got really upset that this big black box was in her new decor. So after a week or so I decided to try and appease her with the JBL Loft 30s I have for surrounds for the Games Room. After ensuring the speakers were all set to small (including the Infinity Center) I re-ran the Sony Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (their in house Audyssey like program) and tweaked it slightly, and frankly for TV or a not too loud concert Blu Ray it's not bad. I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with the L-36s or the new speakers in her Interior Designed Family Room / Kitchen showplace, so I said I'd compromise using the Loft 30s with the Sub as long as she doesn't bug me about what I put into the Games Room. I said I'm going to spend a few dollars in there. She seems okay with that.

I installed a Rocketfish wireless sub kit (after i repaired it - but that's another story) which I had squirreled away for 18 months in anticipation of the Renovation. I knew my Misses wouldn't want a wire running across the floor...Anyway, I bought an new Klipsch WA-2 Wireless Subwoofer Kit for it as she didn't like both plugs used up for just the Sub; and I really didn't want to plug and unplug the Sub Kit as it has no on off switch. The Klipsch WA-2 unit mounts onto the Sub on two pins made for it, and gets its power from it. I bought it new off eBay and its should be here by Monday. The Sony STR-DN1050 Receiver can compensate for the latency although the Kit supposedly has very little.

The Games room is more of a challenge. My Misses had me bring up 50 or so boxes from the basement where we stored all of the items from the main floor during the renovation. so they are spread out all over the Games Room floor => some half empty, but most not touched. After I had the Family Room sorted, I was dying to confirm the in-ceiling speakers were functional in the Games Room.

So I cleared a space where my sweet spot is, and brought up a Lazyboy recliner, the Center Channel Speaker, and the Klipsch SW-112 Sub. (I have 3 of them -one for each system - as I got a smoking deal on them and couldn't resist it at the time. They are fine for music if set up correctly; but not really in the class of other subs now available for Home Theater.) I terminated the speaker wires feeding the Atmos Speakers with Banana Plugs. I brought up the Samsung Blu Ray Player and Denon AVR-S900W receiver. After connecting everything I decided to manually set-up the system, and made the Front Atmos Speakers my Mains, and the Rear Atmos Speakers my Surrounds. I used my SPL Meter to make everything level. I was surprised the Atmos Speakers sounded pretty good. I didn't blast them but kept the level about 60 dB just to start to break them in.

Today the Painters were in to start touch ups, and it was quite quiet. I decided to put on the Games Room system for them, with a Cable Box Feed of tunes at a low level. However, the Denon AVR-S900W "popped" after playing at low volume for only a minute or two, and the circuit protection scheme came on, and I could smell something when I unplugged it. (I haven't had a chance to disconnect it from the inputs and outputs and test it again - that's for tomorrow. If I can't figure it out it'll be off to the repair depot for a $45 diagnostic.)

I was thinking of the Denon AVR-SX6300H for the Games Room, but the problem with the AVR-S900W has me rethinking that approach now.
For future reference, Triad will paint match almost all their speakers to what ever color you like, so the "needle approach" isn't needed.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Depending on cost to repair, you might consider that NewEgg has a sale on the Denon AVR-X3400H for $550.
The Receiver's amplifier section popped an output stage power transistor I'm told. At least that was the receptionist's interpretation of what the repair Tech said. It was $225 plus taxes to repair (Canadian $ => about $180 USD) so I went for it. We got it back about 2 weeks ago but I've been traveling for work, and just got it set up last weekend as a 7.1 system, but haven't had time to re-run Audyssey and there's little point yet anyway. The whole room is still full of boxes, and my one Lazyboy chair. My misses is slowly unpacking the boxes as time permits.

It was my birthday yesterday, and my wife gave me her blessing to buy an 11.2 Receiver. I went to my local Best Buy today to compare them (as they handle Denon, Marantz, Onkyo, and Pioneer) and they didn't have an 11.2 (or if you prefer a 7.2.4 Atmos capable) one in stock! :eek:

I've never heard an Atmos system, so I'll have to hunt one down to hear it. I was in Fry's in Phoenix this week (business trip) and I glanced in their Audio rooms, and didn't see an Atmos setup (but they were renovating the store it seemed), and they too tapped out at 9.1 receivers in stock. I was miffed they sold out Jeff Lynne's Wembley or Bust BluRay. So I bought the latest Spiderman 3D to add to the collection.

Next week we go on a Bucket List vacation (my Misses List). We are headed with another couple to New Orleans for a few days, before a week in the Caribbean at a 5 Star All Inclusive. Maybe I can find a few hours to go HT shopping in New Orleans :cool:.

Any suggestions on any good stores downtown?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hopefully you can find a good AV dealer (not a BB/Magnolia) with a good small or medium sized room set up with an Atmos demo. Done right and professionally calibrated, it can be quite an experience and better than many a commercial theater.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Got back from the 2 week vacation. I couldn't find an AV dealer in my travels. It was a long haul home. (2.5 hours flying time from George Town in the Bahamas to Charlotte NC. Then 6 more to Seattle; and finally about an hour to Vancouver.) Of course the airlines lost our luggage en route. :rolleyes:

The Thursday after we got home, my Misses fell coming down the stairs from our bedroom to the main floor and broke her left ankle in 3 places. She had emergency surgery, and they put hardware (screws, pins, and plates?) into it to reconstruct it. She has to stay off it 100% for 2 weeks minimum, and then gradually add load as the doctors see fit. The timeline is for a 6 week rehab. So it's been all about that, and other "events" since.

So my HT progress has been nil for some time now. The Family Room HT hardware is complete, as I negotiated no more changes there in exchange for new speakers and a receiver (that for my birthday) for the Games Room. The Denon AVR-S900W is working fine now amongst the still half full storage Boxes from the Reno.

Being in Canada (as opposed to the USA), the number of good "brick & mortar" AV Dealers has diminished greatly in the last decade here in Vancouver; as On-Line buying has become dominant. So it's hard to hear anything before you buy. I installed the in ceiling speakers having never even heard Atmos, not even in a Theater. I don't go to movies since I went down the HT road. If I want to see a movie, we wait for the DVD / BluRay => and by then I often forget about it. :p Mostly, my HT setups are for Broadcast TV via cable (with it's notorious crappy HT sound) and my BluRay Concerts with lossless codecs (which are fabulous).

That being said, I struggle to plunk down $3K Canadian for a 11 channel receiver, and possibly another $1900 ($1500 USD) for the HSU 3.0 CCB-8 Speaker Package after we blew far past the budget for the Renovation, and the unexpected Bucket List vacation. This is especially so when I haven't even heard Atmos or any of the hardware I'm considering.

By the way, I do have REW and a USB Mike with a PC configured to analyse my HT setups. I have tinkered with it but as yet are not proficient enough for serious tweaking. It's all about time. When you travel for work, putting in long hours, and have a lot going on personally (as above) mucking about with my toys seems to fade into last place.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

Just an update. My Misses injury was much more impactful than anticipated. She wasn't allowed to put any weight on her ankle for 6 weeks! So basically for the first 4 weeks I was her slave as she had to stay off her feet and off work. I typically work from a home office so it was alway Hey Jim., can you get me...

Anyway the last 2 weeks she's started working again => about 4 hours a day for 3 days the first week and increasing it an hour a day per week. Last Friday she got the green light to start to put weight on her ankle and has stopped using the Walker & Scooter we rented.

Needless to say, nothing has been done to recover from the renovation, and very little to scope a new 11.2 Receiver. I'm stuck between a Denon X6400H and a X4400H.

See; Stuck in a Denon X6400H / X4300H Dilemma

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

On Tuesday I bought a second Klipsch SW-112B to match the existing for only $100 CAD => about $75 USD. ( Well even though it's not the best Sub on the planet (not even close) I came across a smoking deal which was a Steal!)

This is what the Sale Price was a couple years back when I bought my first one => List price back then was $750!)
Klipsch SW112B 12in Powered Subwoofe - Future Shop $600.png
) It only goes down to about 26 Hz but it'll do for now... They say 2 Subs are a lot better than one.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

Today a bought a new Denon AVR-X4400H HT Receiver. See details at Stuck in a Denon X6400H / X4400H Dilemma

So now the last major item (HT equipment wise) is changing out the 3 aged front speakers. I'm really close to ordering HSU CCB-8s but can't hear them in Canada (Only Demo is in California it seems). No one on this board seems to own them but the reviews are amazing. See Anyone living with HSU CCB-8s

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis