WAF => A new beginning? Where should one start?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi Gents,

Well I guess it was inevitable. In our Family room for years we've enjoyed a decent sounding (but not aesthetically pleasing I guess) HT setup based around some "classic" JBL L-36 Speakers with an Infinity Primus PC251 Center, and JBL surrounds. Nothing to light you on fire, but decent enough for the odd Tune, or 3D Movie, 5.1 Football, etc., when the mood strikes. :cool:

Last night the Misses informs me that in our pending renovation the JBLs are out. She says they are far too large, and she wants something smaller that will blend into the OMG! :eek: decor.

We haggled a bit, and as we are clearing out the whole main floor (our house is 3 stories) so she can redo everything. I'll swap the 3D Samsung LED TV for standard one in the Games Room (soon to be "living room"? The games room was so college...:rolleyes:) so hopefully I can still warm it up a bit on another system in there. Her dream Kitchen will be the focus of the Reno - not HT systems. Think a Wolfe Gas Range.

So I guess I should start looking at speaker options that have a high WAF. I'm uncertain if I can find something just to replace the L-36s but I should probably try that first, rather than all 3 Fronts.

Do you know of any small bookshelf good sounding speakers that fit the bill with a high WAF? If so please post them below.

Thanks for the assist.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What kind of aesthetic are you looking for? Do you need something small or just something that has a higher-end finish, like piano gloss or something like that? And you do realize that pretty speakers an be expensive, right? Are subwoofers out?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Do you know of any small bookshelf good sounding speakers that fit the bill with a high WAF? If so please post them below.
Thanks for the assist.
I'll be known as the one who goes on and on about his KEF's, but I was very surprised to see how much my GF likes the LS50. She likes the looks more than me. I like the sound and find the black - copper contrast a bit too sporty, but I still like them. She said she couldn't be happier for me choosing this exact model. This one comes in various colours as well as cone colours.
upload_2017-8-23_9-50-17.jpeg

I hope you agree, there's some WAF right there!

I'm a bit classic and I like simple designs. One of the most beautiful bookshelf for me (design wise) is Tannoy Precision 6.1. She didn't like that one at all. She said it looks plain and old. (few different veneers)
upload_2017-8-23_9-51-18.jpeg

I had the money to buy these and didn't when I saw they started selling BS about cryo-copper.

I also like these Magico bookshelves, but from what I hear they cost an arm and a leg. (I don't know are there any variations in finishes)
upload_2017-8-23_9-52-23.jpeg

The thing is, they all have a very good reputation for their performance. They have something from both worlds.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I remember thinking she'll definitely like the B&W bookshelves, the ones with a separate tweeter (any of them), was I wrong, she didn't like them at all. She said they look "over-constructed", it's hard for me to translate... Like, too much thought went into their shape.
upload_2017-8-23_10-2-21.jpeg

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents, this input is fabulous but let's refine the search criteria a little.

#1 They need to sound decent.
#2 The Misses is spending our Kids inheritance on the Reno, so these need to be reasonably in price. For me it's about Value. Glossy finishes would be very much secondary to sound and cost.
#3 A simple small box design would suffice. (So Killdoser your last 2 posts miss on this. Sorry.)

Is there anything out there that fits in with the Infinity Primus PC251 Center?

Thanks for the assist.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Jim
As you probably know I love my SVS Ultra speakers. Their bookshelf speakers are very impressive and like them a lot. They have legit bass down to 48hz and sound fantastic. The Al tweeter they're using is one of the best dome tweeters I've heard. They are however, not small for a bookshelf, but I find them very aesthetically pleasing as well. If it helps, they also come in white.

ultra-bookshelf-pgw.jpg

Ultra_bookshelf_pair_ISO_grille_800.jpg

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Orb Audio Sound(bar) + hide a decent sub somewhere

Or consider a DIY project with some Heliums or Quarks, also with a decent sub hidden somewhere. Guaranteed high WAF.

For sub, maybe a Dayton SUB-1000L or two? They're skinny, and so should be easy to hide under or behind a couch or entertainment center console. And hidden under the couch you can tune them as nearfield, so you'll be less subject to the perils of the cavernous volume of your living area. You can use a wireless transmitter to avoid snaking RCA cables around the room if needed.

Or you could go in-walls and in-ceiling for everything, including the sub. I understand the Monoprice AMT in-walls are pretty impressive for the money. For in-wall sub, HTD offers a cheap one. Or if you've already got an amp, you can get a Monoprice in-wall sub or two. One of the commenters in the Monoprice in-wall sub reviews suggests a 1 cubic foot sealed back box, but I suspect sealing 2 or 3 cubic feet behind the driver would lower the Q further and result in better performance. Hard to know without seeing the T/S params of the driver. *shrug*

Last edited:
killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
(So Killdoser your last 2 posts miss on this. Sorry.)
Come on man, the last one was obviously a joke!:)

The one before that I just threw in to show how wrong I was trying to get my WAF or GFAF:p

The first three I picked having in mind something for the lady and something for the gentleman. Sound shouldn't be compromised in any way in first three examples and those are serious recomms.

Ask your lady, show her the pictures. I bet she'll find at least one among the first three to have the looks.

Roen

Roen

Audioholic
Budget would be helpful! What sub do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
A Budget would be helpful but that's where I stumble. The Misses isn't big on these systems and she's going all out on the Reno which is vacuuming away any extra funds, and she's more into looks than sound. So I'd like to see what's out there. I doubt the purse strings would go more than $1,000 for the pair.

The SVS Ultra speakers look interesting but I'd probably need 3 as matching the Infinity Primus PC251 Center doesn't seem reasonable.

By the way, what's the best time of year to buy Speakers => Black Friday? We are already boxing up everything on the Main Floor, and finally throwing things out (Like couches, love seats, tables, etc.). I don't expect the Reno to start until Mid September and then take 2 months. So we'll be lucky to be back into the space by then. So that give me some time to decide /convince the Misses what direction to go.

Thanks again for the assist.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A Budget would be helpful but that's where I stumble. The Misses isn't big on these systems and she's going all out on the Reno which is vacuuming away any extra funds, and she's more into looks than sound. So I'd like to see what's out there. I doubt the purse strings would go more than $1,000 for the pair.

The SVS Ultra speakers look interesting but I'd probably need 3 as matching the Infinity Primus PC251 Center doesn't seem reasonable.

By the way, what's the best time of year to buy Speakers => Black Friday? We are already boxing up everything on the Main Floor, and finally throwing things out (Like couches, love seats, tables, etc.). I don't expect the Reno to start until Mid September and then take 2 months. So we'll be lucky to be back into the space by then. So that give me some time to decide /convince the Misses what direction to go.

If you keep an eye on SVS' outlet you could get 3 Ultras for $399 apiece (in black, white doesn't show up as often). That's what I ended up doing. They sound as good as they look.

PS: There are 3 white ones in the outlet right now! 1 is $449 and the other 2 are $399!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Black Friday is good, unless you can find some clearance deals, which might be cheaper than Black Friday.

If you're not in a hurry, then these RBH speakers may be on your list of options:

https://rbhsound.com/r5bi.php

I think you'll just have to show your wife all the pictures and see which one she likes.

So everyone can post some pictures. And you can show your wife.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
You might search your craigslist for a pair of Primus bookshelf speakers, or maybe if you put a wanted in the Classifieds here someone is likely to have a pair still hanging around that they upgraded from.

My other thought given your parameters is :
https://rslspeakers.com/

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis