WAF => A new beginning? Where should one start?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You might search your craigslist for a pair of Primus bookshelf speakers, or maybe if you put a wanted in the Classifieds here someone is likely to have a pair still hanging around that they upgraded from.

My other thought given your parameters is :
https://rslspeakers.com/
I don't know much about their speakers. I've heard of the Speedwoofer. Looks like their systems got lot of "of the year" awards.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I don't know much about their speakers. I've heard of the Speedwoofer. Looks like their systems got lot of "of the year" awards.
I've never heard them, but RSL has an impressive reputation and they were well reviewed by AH (speakers and speedwoofer). Given the idea of being minimally intrusive yet still good sound they come to mind, but maybe a little expensive for Jim's needs.

http://www.audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/rsl-cg4-cg24-and-speedwoofer-10-loudspeaker-review
http://www.audioholics.com/surround-sound-reviews/rsl-cg3-cg23-speedwoofer-10s-loudspeaker-system-review

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Black Friday is good, unless you can find some clearance deals, which might be cheaper than Black Friday.

If you're not in a hurry, then these RBH speakers may be on your list of options:

https://rbhsound.com/r5bi.php

I think you'll just have to show your wife all the pictures and see which one she likes.

So everyone can post some pictures. And you can show your wife.
Right after Christmas too. There's usually more b stock available due to returns, I'd guess.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Sonus Faber is a company that makes their speakers look almost as good as they sound:

upload_2017-8-25_11-18-40.jpeg

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
These Davones ooze such thick molasses of WAF you culd cut it with scissors before it drips all over the floor.
upload_2017-8-31_14-33-59.jpeg

It's just that they are stupid expensive. Come on, show this pic to you lady and ask her for opinion. I wanna see if there's such a thing as universal WAF.:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
These Davones ooze such thick molasses of WAF you culd cut it with scissors before it drips all over the floor.
View attachment 22096

It's just that they are stupid expensive. Come on, show this pic to you lady and ask her for opinion. I wanna see if there's such a thing as universal WAF.:)
LOL, to me they're definitely not attractive but am also interested in their WAF factor nonetheless....

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

Thanks for the suggestions to date. I tried to float out a pair of towers as we were walking by them (just for size) and got a stern, "I wasn't thinking anything near that large" sort of reply.

I won't buy anything that doesn't sound decent but you guys have an amazing array of choices already, but no consensus.

Rojo, in your post you offered up lots of different approaches. (Thank-you) I really don't have time for a DIY project while the Reno is on, nor the tools, or room. I'd love to do something and may do a Sub someday as my Klipsch Subs are more for music (my first love) than Movies. (If I was buying a new Sub today, it wouldn't be a Klipsch. Even when I bought them I got them for a song which is well within the WAF.)

I'm going to breach size again with the Misses, and then Finish / Color. There's no point in beating my head against a wall by looking at something I'll never be able to sell to her.

OscarJr

OscarJr

Junior Audioholic
Get yourself some of these and just upgrade the WAF. New models hit the showroom floor every year. o_O :D

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yikes!

Sorry, I'm late in chiming in. Almost 3 weeks ago the renovations started on our home. My wife's dream kitchen morphed into the whole main floor

So we have nothing on that floor as the contractor have ripped out sinks, counters, walls, ceilings, and all the flooring. Our three computer work stations are no longer as well. (I don't think they fit into the new design either. Something about having to move on from early college decor, I'm told.) All the couches, love seats, dining room suite, coffee tables, etc., are gone. I moved the modem and router to the basement, and my Main PC to my home office upstairs in a bedroom we use for guests and work.

Other than some trim work on the doors, the upstairs bedrooms will not be touched. However, as the ceilings were ripped out, I'm taking the opportunity to pre-wire under tile for the master en-suite; and I'm pulling various cables (speakers, CAT, TV, etc) while everything is exposed. So after work, I've little free time for anything else.

It's supposed to be "substantially complete" by Christmas.

Meantime we are jammed into the basement with no stove. I was able to temporarily install a dishwasher into the basement bathroom, and we've got the old microwave, refrigerator, here as well. (All will be replaced upstairs). I still BBQ and will do more even though the inclement weather is coming more and more. I'm supposed to be researching a Toaster Oven but haven't had time.

We've been saving for this for about 7 years, but should have planned more. We've done every type of take out in the area, as cooking in these tight conditions is tough. But oh well, we are into it => and "it is what it is".

So I won't have much time here for a while, but I'm going to float some white SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers for the fronts of the Family room HT set-up. This decision is only based on the input here as I've never heard them, and I think being in white, I may get them past the Misses. I decided to stay with a 5.1 configuration there, but I am seriously thinking of ceiling speakers (OMG!) for an Atmos addition to the games room 6.1 set-up. Any idea for reasonably priced in ceiling speakers for that?

Wish me Luck?

Thanks for your input and replies.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Hi again Gents,

I seem to have a little traction on the SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers for the family room :), but when I tried to ask for consensus on the rear speakers, as I was going to pull the in wall wiring today, the resistance was immense:mad:. The Misses (and her designer) have no plans for any rear speakers and she was upset I was adamant for them. I am ruining the whole aesthetic. :confused:

My experience with "surround" speakers is the only carry about 10 -15% of the material, and the real heavy lifting is the Fronts, Center, and Sub. They typically don't need to be of the same standard as those units and should be able to be sourced at more reasonable cost. So to keep peace in the family I agreed to look at (OMG) in Wall /Ceiling Speakers. So your help is really needed here quickly.

I got the same push back when discussing the "Games Room" set-up. This room is about 19 x 14 and used to be my domain (notice I said "used to"...) with 4 Lazy Boy Recliners, 55" LED TV, and everything connected to a Denon receiver. It also had 3 computer work stations. I think the ultimate goal is this will replace the "front room" as the old one became the new dining room when that was assimilated into the Dream Kitchen.

Anyway, I am hoping to find in Wall /Ceiling Speakers that would work there as well as the Misses wants me to avoid what she calls "early college decor" with speakers and wires hanging out all over. In this system I need the two rears and a center back (okay maybe 2 if I go in wall) for the surrounds. And I'd like to see what going to an Atmos set-up in the ceiling would cost. I really only have this weekend, and maybe next for "rough in" before the Contractor wants to install the new ceilings.

I pulled the surround speakers wires in the Games Room today and left lots of excess. The CAT, and RG6 TV Coax, are finished throughout except I need another 40 foot CAT 6 cable to get to the Family Room TV. I just remembered we are having lots of angst on the height of it's mount. I typically have the center of these 55" TVs at about 42" from the floor. But I've read where they are now supposed to be 60+. Do you have any advice there?

Our Building Permit is stuck at the city, so the substantially complete before Christmas may be in jeopardy. Boy are renovations fun :rolleyes:

L

lukesky518

Enthusiast
"I typically have the center of these 55" TVs at about 42" from the floor. But I've read where they are now supposed to be 60+. Do you have any advice there?" My wife bought a real nice TV stand not too long ago . The problem was when I reclined back in the chair I was almost looking through my feet to see the TV . We replaced it with one with a rotating spine that gets the center up to about 38" . It should be higher still . Maybe put your favorite chair in there and recline and see how high it needs to be ?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Gents,

I am only looking for Surrounds and maybe Height speakers. I need to look at either, or both, in wall /ceiling.

Before someone pokes me for photos, here's today's status via video:

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the inputs so far gents. I know there are many, many options, but that's why I came here to ask those with experience what units are worthwhile, and have considerable value and not junk.

The Family Room is 12' W x 19' L x 8.5' H but one side is almost open all the way to the kitchen.
The Games Room is 16.5' W x 20' L x 8' H The window box protrudes out 18 inches and is 6 feet wide. The NE corner is reduced by a section of the Laundry room the pushes into the Games Room (behind the door in the video) for 40" and it's 6 feet long.

Of course I'm looking for a deal (Black Friday is coming...) and I certainly don't want to overspend just to get a "brand" name. As I stated earlier, my experience with "surround" speakers is the only carry about 10 -15% of the material, and the real heavy lifting is the Fronts, Center, and Sub. The Surrounds typically don't need to be of the same standard as those units, and should be able to be sourced at more reasonable cost.

So to keep peace in the family I agreed to look at (OMG) in Wall /Ceiling Speakers. So your help is really needed here quickly.

Thanks for the assist.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
"I typically have the center of these 55" TVs at about 42" from the floor. But I've read where they are now supposed to be 60+. Do you have any advice there?" My wife bought a real nice TV stand not too long ago . The problem was when I reclined back in the chair I was almost looking through my feet to see the TV . We replaced it with one with a rotating spine that gets the center up to about 38" . It should be higher still . Maybe put your favorite chair in there and recline and see how high it needs to be ?
There are height from floor / distance calculators. At 9.5' from the screen and 34" from the floor with a 60" display I have no viewing issues (plasma allows for more variance) . Typically a good rule of thumb is center eye level 1/3 of the way up on the display.

With LCD based displays and some reclined viewing, consider tilt mounts up to 10 degrees for more accurate viewing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis