volume motor noise feedback in speaker

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Pre amp is Parasound P5. ATI 2000 Amp.
Notice tonight when playing a soft passage in a song that when I turn the volume up I am getting a static sound in the right speaker. Both by remote and know make the same sound. Static/ hiss feedback. It's not loud but it's noticeable sitting 5 feet away. Any ideas? I switched cable out. No change.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
A little more info. I switched right and left the XLR cables out of the P5 and the distortion went to the left speaker.... SO it's the pre amp. Not the amp. Just wondering what it is...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
A little more info. I switched right and left the XLR cables out of the P5 and the distortion went to the left speaker.... SO it's the pre amp. Not the amp. Just wondering what it is...
Does it do it with no input device connected and all peripherals. If it does it with all peripherals then your pre amp is defective and has a noisy circuit from a failing solid state device, noisy resistor or cap.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
If the volume knob is moving with the remote (which I'm assuming based on your "volume motor" title), it could also be dirt on the potentiometer. Did you buy this preamp recently? That sort of thing can be cleaned at home, but it might be easier to just have the dealer do it if you bought it locally.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

If the volume knob is moving with the remote (which I'm assuming based on your "volume motor" title), it could also be dirt on the potentiometer. Did you buy this preamp recently? That sort of thing can be cleaned at home, but it might be easier to just have the dealer do it if you bought it locally.
I doubt it has a pot. Only single pots are made now. This is almost certainly a solid state control. It is a new unit.

After your post I'm unclear if he only hears this as the volume is adjusted, or hears it after increasing the volume. I assumed it was the latter, in which case the problem is in an early gain stage.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Does it do it with no input device connected and all peripherals. If it does it with all peripherals then your pre amp is defective and has a noisy circuit from a failing solid state device, noisy resistor or cap.
There is no noise without ant thing connected. The static is only heard during playback and volume is changed up or down.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

There is no noise without ant thing connected. The static is only heard during playback and volume is changed up or down.
In any event, Parasound own this problem. Talk to them about it, not us.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Well TLS, I was just getting ideas here.. I know they own it and will fix it.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I just submitted the issue with my dealer. Looks like I get to be without the Parasound for a while. :(

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I switched right and left the XLR cables out of the P5 and the distortion went to the left speaker
So it's the LEFT output of the Parasound that is causing noise?

If you disconnect the RIGHT cable and just leave in the LEFT cable, the noise is there.

If you disconnect the LEFT cable and leave in the RIGHT cable, is the noise still there?

What about using RCA cables, instead of XLR cables?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So it's the LEFT output of the Parasound that is causing noise?

If you disconnect the RIGHT cable and just leave in the LEFT cable, the noise is there.

If you disconnect the LEFT cable and leave in the RIGHT cable, is the noise still there?

What about using RCA cables, instead of XLR cables?
NO... I could here it in the right speaker. When I switched the XLR cable at the P5 Output the problem then went to the left speaker... So something is wrong on the right channel output.
I didn't test RCA cable. Only the XLR.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
So something is wrong on the right channel output.
I didn't test RCA cable. Only the XLR.
So far, we know the problem is the RIGHT XLR output.

If you have even a cheap RCA cable, I would hook it up to the Right RCA output of the Parasound and see anyway.

Make sure you turn the selector on the ATI from balanced to unbalanced if you test the RCA cable. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
So far, we know the problem is the RIGHT XLR output.

If you have even a cheap RCA cable, I would hook it up to the Right RCA output of the Parasound and see anyway.

Make sure you turn the selector on the ATI from balanced to unbalanced if you test the RCA cable. :D
OK. Switched to RCA at luch time and it's doing the same thing. Time to pack up the pre and have Parasound look at it. Thanks for the feedback... And sorry to bother you here TLS Guy.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
OK. Switched to RCA at luch time and it's doing the same thing. Time to pack up the pre and have Parasound look at it. Thanks for the feedback... And sorry to bother you here TLS Guy.
Well, it was a long shot. Definitely seems defective.

Your luck, huh? :(

But this didn't happen until yesterday or today?

Absolutely no reason to apologize to anyone for this.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I got scared at first and thought it was my new RBH speaker. The P5 is a lot easier to ship for repairs. Oh well. At least my Marantz gear will fill the void for a while. Good thing I held on to these.
I am beginning to think Made in Japan components might have a leg up.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I got scared at first and thought it was my new RBH speaker. The P5 is a lot easier to ship for repairs. Oh well. At least my Marantz gear will fill the void for a while. Good thing I held on to these.
I am beginning to think Made in Japan components might have a leg up.
Is the Marantz made in Japan?

I have to "say" :D that country of assembly doesn't really matter. But with that said, I do personally prefer made in USA, England, and Japan. :D

Every time I hear about an electronic component going awry, I think to myself, "Thank gods for passive speakers and subs". :D

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis