PC to replace Xbox console as a media player

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I choose 64GB of RAM for 2 reasons, one is as you said memory is cheap and it allows it to be used as shared VRAM. Not sure how helpful it could be, didn't see any benchmarks on it.
A descrete video card like the RTX does not share/pool video ram with the PC's main system ram.

On a side note, I would not reccomend using the same space as your xbox. ff it is in an enclosed area, the 14900k will get sigificantlly hotter and airflow is much more important to a PC. You can look at watercooling AIOs for your CPU, but it still needs significant airflow for intake and exhaust.

I would highly suggest talking to a a reputible shop like Microcenter or local shop that can provide you with the right guidence for you needs. I was also wrong about the 14600K, there is more of a difference in frame rate on some games than the 14900K. The 14700K usually tests within 2-5fps of the 14900k if you want to save some money.

Also be aware that there is currently an issue with the intel 14900k / 14700k having a 9% decrease in performance due to motherboard manufactuer settings being to agressive.

If I were building it, I would suggest a 14700k, 32GB RAM and then spend the savings on the video card.

MyBuild.jpg

Last edited:
D

dolynick

Audioholic
If I were building it, I would suggest a 14700k, 32GB RAM and then spend the savings on the video card.
This is solid advice.
The 700 level CPUs are generally considered to be the sweet spot for performance vs cost for gaming. The 900s generally don't offer much in tangible gains except in extremely CPU/threaded games. Saving $150-$200 on the CPU and putting it towards the next step up in GPU is almost certainly going to net you better framerates.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
TechPowerUp does a great job showing how a CPU does, or doesn't, affect gaming performance. They show multiple resolutions and which CPU performs best at each. Reviews like this help when picking a CPU.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis