3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm at this moment listening to DIRE STRAITS BROTHERS IN ARMS on my Micro Seiki bl-91
Love that album. It's one of the cleanest most dynamic recordings I've ever heard. :)

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
It's a good one for sure and here's another well recorded LP. Keb Mo (GAIN 2™ Ultra Analog LP 180g Series)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's a good one for sure and here's another well recorded LP. Keb Mo (GAIN 2™ Ultra Analog LP 180g Series)

That is a good album, I haven't heard it on vinyl yet.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Picked up these two gems at a used record store

Supertramp's 2nd album;

and Traffic (with Steve Windwood)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
An expert taken from this link

Here Come the Cars - on vinyl | Stuff.co.nz

"I like listening to vinyl because it makes me interact with the music; makes me respect the music. I'll walk around town with an iPod, absolutely. I still review music - which arrives, mostly, on CD. So I have stacks of discs in the car and by the stereo in my office. But playing an LP happens in a room dedicated to music - and I sit and listen to the music. I'm not concerned with walking in and out of the room, with completing other tasks while listening. That can be an option, but listening to a record provides a joy that I don't get from playing an iPod, from listening to a CD."

Listening to vinyl does usually make one sit down and listen to the music rather than hear it in the background while doing another task. It took reading the para above to realize how right the author is.

Ona lighter note...

Gadget-fatigued Koreans return to vinyl records and film cameras

T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
Tom did it again with his #296 Podcast.

Liz and he were talking about isolation products when it obviously came to turntables, which can benefit from such. Liz fired off first a rather ignorant and in a derogatory manner a comment asking "Does anyone still play vinyl?" to which Tom replied (flippantly) " [chuckle] Yeah UNFORTUNATELY they do."

REALLY? REALLY TOM?

Unfortunately? What is so unfortunate for those who play vinyl records? What does it matter to you?

Ok, ok, you don't have any interest in vinyl, FINE! that is your prerogative. That said your comments on it are IMO coming out from your a$$. You also made note as if it was silly and maybe even neurotic that people invest in record cleaning machines to get the most out of their LP's. Again what is your problem Tom? Why do you care?

Fact is many listeners invest good to great sums of money and time on building a vinyl playback set up and also invest large sums in buying discs be they used or in even growing numbers new LP's, taking better care of them is a valuable thing to keep the pleasure of playing such for a lifetime.

On top of that vinyl on a good set up just plain sounds better. You do not have to agree nor care, but since you and Liz to name two do not bother with it, I say you have no clue. But whatever, vinyl listeners enjoy the sonic qualities of vinyl records and we all feel a good disc on a decent player sounds better than most if not all digital. IT'S MY/OUR FREE FEELING TO BELIEVE SO! Having you talk smack against vinyl out of both of your butts serves you both nothing good!

Vinyl is growing in popularity Tom & Liz. No, it will never return back to the hey day of the 70's and nobody is crying for such, but it ain't going away either. Millions of new copies are pressed and sold each year, tens of millions of used copies change hands each year. There are said to be on LP's alone over 100,000,000 titles in the history of LP pressings worldwide. No digital format offers nor will they ever that vast potential library.

Playing vinyl enforces the idea of SITTING ONE'S A$$ DOWN AND LISTENING! Maybe for only 20 min. side, maybe longer. Too many digital only listeners have music on but really are not LISTENING. Vinyl brings that to you and for even just 20 or so minutes you RELAX and enjoy.

But alas you have no care for it Tom & Liz, IMO it's both of yours loss but I don't care if you never spin an LP. But to talk down to vinyl record listeners is both arrogant an ignorant.

Maybe you should get a good vinyl record player and some discs you may like then shut up, sit down and listen!

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Chill :) I figure its their (Liz an Tom) ignorant loss, not ours. If they haven't fiured it out, that's ok. Vinyl isn't for everyone. You and I like it and various posters will come on and try to insight a flame or two but who cares. If you enjoy it, then the rest of the planet can go to hell. :) That's the way I look at it.

Tom did it again with his #296 Podcast.

Liz and he were talking about isolation products when it obviously came to turntables, which can benefit from such. Liz fired off first a rather ignorant and in a derogatory manner a comment asking "Does anyone still play vinyl?" to which Tom replied (flippantly) " [chuckle] Yeah UNFORTUNATELY they do."

REALLY? REALLY TOM?

Unfortunately? What is so unfortunate for those who play vinyl records? What does it matter to you?

Ok, ok, you don't have any interest in vinyl, FINE! that is your prerogative. That said your comments on it are IMO coming out from your a$$. You also made note as if it was silly and maybe even neurotic that people invest in record cleaning machines to get the most out of their LP's. Again what is your problem Tom? Why do you care?

Fact is many listeners invest good to great sums of money and time on building a vinyl playback set up and also invest large sums in buying discs be they used or in even growing numbers new LP's, taking better care of them is a valuable thing to keep the pleasure of playing such for a lifetime.

On top of that vinyl on a good set up just plain sounds better. You do not have to agree nor care, but since you and Liz to name two do not bother with it, I say you have no clue. But whatever, vinyl listeners enjoy the sonic qualities of vinyl records and we all feel a good disc on a decent player sounds better than most if not all digital. IT'S MY/OUR FREE FEELING TO BELIEVE SO! Having you talk smack against vinyl out of both of your butts serves you both nothing good!

Vinyl is growing in popularity Tom & Liz. No, it will never return back to the hey day of the 70's and nobody is crying for such, but it ain't going away either. Millions of new copies are pressed and sold each year, tens of millions of used copies change hands each year. There are said to be on LP's alone over 100,000,000 titles in the history of LP pressings worldwide. No digital format offers nor will they ever that vast potential library.

Playing vinyl enforces the idea of SITTING ONE'S A$$ DOWN AND LISTENING! Maybe for only 20 min. side, maybe longer. Too many digital only listeners have music on but really are not LISTENING. Vinyl brings that to you and for even just 20 or so minutes you RELAX and enjoy.

But alas you have no care for it Tom & Liz, IMO it's both of yours loss but I don't care if you never spin an LP. But to talk down to vinyl record listeners is both arrogant an ignorant.

Maybe you should get a good vinyl record player and some discs you may like then shut up, sit down and listen!

T

Time_Stand_Stil

Junior Audioholic
Chill :) I figure its their (Liz an Tom) ignorant loss, not ours. If they haven't fiured it out, that's ok. Vinyl isn't for everyone. You and I like it and various posters will come on and try to insight a flame or two but who cares. If you enjoy it, then the rest of the planet can go to hell. :) That's the way I look at it.

Yes, you are correct. To Hell with those who choose to remain ignorant on good vinyl playback. I guess it just bothers me at how some can be so willfully ignorant.

T

Trev

Audioholic
I just found a brand new, in box Pioneer 112D turntable for $40.

Pioneer PL-112D Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Haven't hooked it up yet, but interested in what a 30 something year old table sounds like just out of box :)

Just need to find some LPs I'm not worried about to test and ensure everything's good with.

Vinyl isn't dead man, never will be. I listen to thrash metal... one of the most heart grinding, sped up, bone crushing genres of music there ever will be...

Last show I went to, I picked up 3 vinyls from the band Razor's merch booth. If these guys still have a vinyl market... you know it's not going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I just found a brand new, in box Pioneer 112D turntable for $40.

Pioneer PL-112D Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Haven't hooked it up yet, but interested in what a 30 something year old table sounds like just out of box :)

Just need to find some LPs I'm not worried about to test and ensure everything's good with.

Vinyl isn't dead man, never will be. I listen to thrash metal... one of the most heart grinding, sped up, bone crushing genres of music there ever will be...

Last show I went to, I picked up 3 vinyls from the band Razor's merch booth. If these guys still have a vinyl market... you know it's not going anywhere.

Same thing with a lot of the Hip-Hop shows I go to, they always have vinyl. Also, it's pretty common at punk rock shows too, but maybe not as common as it was 10 yrs ago (or maybe I just don't make it to as many punk rock shows anymore :D). One thing I liked about the punk vinyls, they tended to use a lot more colored vinyl pressings than any other genre. I have some really slick (some limited runs) punk vinyl that is transparent yellow, green, blue, or red.

Obviously, on the hip-hop side, Turntablism is one of the key foundations of the hip-hop culture, so that will never die until the death of hip-hop (unlikely). Note, "hip-hop" and "rap" are 2 different genres, though there is some overlap. The trend for DJs that tour now is to have all their music on a laptop and spin by using s/w control records. Personally, I prefer the good old vinyl, but I understand the difference between traveling with a laptop vs 200 lbs of vinyl crates. Also, a good DJ sees what the audience likes and taylors his next choices against the crowds' reaction. He just has so much more to choose from on a laptop.

On a side-note, I saw Mix-Master Mike (DJ Beastie Boys) do an after-show in Dallas a few years ago, using actual vinyl. Nothing short of amazing, and if you ever saw the way he abuses those SL1200s to no detriment to the SQ, you would understand why that is the best turntable ever built.

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis