davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Good thing I buy mostly used at half price books and other used record stores. I have purchased some duds but more good than bad and some sound absolutely clean. Of course playing used LPs with a conical cart does tend to smooth out some of the noise...

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
New AT cartridges
Great idea one cart body for almost any stylus type. If I didn't already have a Rega Carbon with both an elliptical stylus from LP gear and an ATN91R conical stylus (both brand new) I would probably by the new conical model.
Then I could swap out many different styli without the hassle of replacing an entire cartridge. (A pain on a Rega if its not a REGA cart.
I saw some good reviews on those also.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thinking about these. Seem to get decent reviews:
View attachment 33634
On another subject seller of the bootleg AT120(orange in ad) sent me a red version like this one to me it looks like the at103. Anyone know if it is the AT120 or similar? I haven't tried it yet.
Seller sent this message:

Hi,

Actually this is the 381-DE. It's only ina different color, did you try it on your cartridge ?

I still can take it as a return for a refund.

Thanks and sorry about the situation

Was listening to the. Mark lll is fantastic very little pop on my vinyl. Not bad for $8.50.
And in other news...

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
understood John, but the slightly used one(Denon) that Jose was looking at for $155 delivered would be considered a bargain. I've heard the Dl-103 numerous times and feel it's superb cart, never heard the modified Zu version though
Sorry - I was just being silly. I know @afterlife2 has a budget and does a heck of a lot of research. I saw an online reviewer had installed the Zu on his "budget" TT, which I though a bit incongruous. Really the only reason it attached itself to my brain...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry - I was just being silly. I know @afterlife2 has a budget and does a heck of a lot of research. I saw an online reviewer had installed the Zu on his "budget" TT, which I though a bit incongruous. Really the only reason it attached itself to my brain...
the reality is in the world of phono cartridges $800 is a long way away from what one can spend. While I would never dream of spending 5 figures on a cart the ability of better cartridges to track 'deeper in the groves' is worth the extra $$ IMO. I think the $500-1500 arena offers some mighty fine examples

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
the reality is in the world of phono cartridges $800 is a long way away from what one can spend. While I would never dream of spending 5 figures on a cart the ability of better cartridges to track 'deeper in the groves' is worth the extra $$ IMO. I think the $500-1500 arena offers some mighty fine examples
Oh, no doubt!
1581441082187.png

Kidding aside, I totally agree. My own TT came pre-mounted with a Sumiko Pearl. It sounds nice enough and I understand why Pro-Ject chose it for this price bracket as it is very easy going ("sins of omission"). I have not experimented (yet) but I would imagine, at the least, doubling the Pearl's retail price to get another rung up the ladder.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Oh, no doubt!
View attachment 34012

Kidding aside, I totally agree. My own TT came pre-mounted with a Sumiko Pearl. It sounds nice enough and I understand why Pro-Ject chose it for this price bracket as it is very easy going ("sins of omission"). I have not experimented (yet) but I would imagine, at the least, doubling the Pearl's retail price to get another rung up the ladder.
My Rega Carbon is similar - sins of omission. Especially good for me as I buy most of my Vinyl used. I also picked up an LP gear elliptical stylus upgrade but hardly ever use it.
Nice Koetsu $16000 cost way way more than my entire system.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis