Very new to HT, putting a setup together in a dedicated room

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Hey all,

I just finished building my home theater room in the basement which is 19' x 14' x 8' in dimension. The room will only have 1 row of seating with 3/4 seats. I'm going for a 7.2.4 setup with a projector screen. My budget for the entire setup is about $21k - $22k CDN (not USD) so just divide by 1.35 and you will get to CDN from USD.

My main focus in the setup has been a good projector, reciever and Sub., other items I've compromised on. The plan is to have this setup last at least 10 years with minimal upgrades or none.

I could use advice on making any modifications to this setup but key thing is to remain within budget.

Brand/ModelPriceQtyCost
Front Right Tower Speaker PairKlipsch RP-8000F $ 1,558.00 1 $ 1,558.00
Center SpeakerKlipsch RP-504C/404C? $ 799.00 1 $ 799.00
Cieling SpeakersKlipsch CDT-5800-C II $ 440.88 4 $ 1,763.52
Boohshelf Speakers PairKlipsch RP-600M $ 849.00 2 $ 1,698.00
SubwooferSVS PB3000 $ 1,849.00 1 $ 1,849.00
ProjectorJVC NX5 $ 7,500.00 1 $ 7,500.00
RecieverMarantz SR8012 $ 3,999.00 1 $ 3,999.0

Some thoughts I had but wasn't sure about was to get a cheaper reciever and add a seperate amp., but really not sure if I should go that route so something like a Denon AVR-4500 + Emotiva XPA-3.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General

Some thoughts I had but wasn't sure about was to get a cheaper reciever and add a seperate amp., but really not sure if I should go that route so something like a Denon AVR-4500 + Emotiva XPA-3.
The Marantz is a nice receiver but I would use that $4,000 to purchase an amp and a receiver. Here are potential combos I would consider:

Refurb Denon 4500 - $1100
Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts $1730

Refurb Denon 4700 - $1400
Monolith by Monoprice 7x200 Watts $1730
OR MARANTZ MM7055 5-Ch $900

Marantz SR8012 Refurb $2200
MARANTZ MM7055 5-Ch $900

ps... Crutchfield has RP8000F on sale for $517

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
These are great suggestions, should there be any reason to hesitate in purchasing refurb equipment? How does the Monolith amp. compare to emotiva amps in quality of sound?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I would not purchase Emotiva as I have heard repairs out of warranty are difficult. The Monolith is a BEAST. It's hard to find anyone with a Monolith that doesn't want to keep it. It offers tons of power.

As far as purchasing refurb Denon/Marantz gear from Accessories4less? I do it all the time. My Denon 4500 refurb was $900 in Feb 2020 from them and I purchased my Denon 600 and 800 players from them at a nice discount. They all look like new and run great. I would not recommend refurb from other sources but Accessories4less has product that is factory refurbed by Denon/Marantz and they back it up with testing and warranty.

When you buy refurb from Accessories4less you get special Denon/Marantz contact info so if there is an issue they will take care of it, plus you can return or exchange the unit with Accessories4less. I don't see this as much of a risk and it's offered me a nice savings. Units sold this way could have been a short term demo, a return or an open box. They all come with a factory 1 year warranty from Denon. The way I look at it is all of this equipment takes a price dive after I buy it so why not take some of the sting out.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
These are great suggestions, should there be any reason to hesitate in purchasing refurb equipment?
One more suggestion. Rather than going with the SVS PB3000 for $1849. I would suggest getting two HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs. You can get two of these amazing 15" subs for close to the same price as the PB3000. In a dual configuration, they will provide an amazing bottom end for your music/theatre that will significantly beat a single PB3000. Two HSU subs reinforce each other on a scale that you won't believe.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I'd say talk to some distributors on this site who handle JVC projectors. You might be able to save a few dollars going through them.

@AcuDefTechGuy would be someone to reach out to for JVC projectors.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
Couple thoughts I'll add since I went through this earlier this year (and adjusted myself based on dozens of hours of reading/watching Audioholics content).
  • Why Klipsch? For me, it was all I knew, but through learning/asking I was steered in a far better direction. If you tell us what's most important (looks, price, what will you use it for, what speakers do you like now, what kind of adjustments to bass/mid/high do you typically do, and so on) you can get real solid recommendations that maximize your system for your budget.
  • Consider shifting money from expensive in-ceiling speakers to other more important components. Content uses height far less than the ground level speakers. Bump up to the ~$1000/ea range for front L&R towers, and a better center channel to match.
  • Go dual subwoofers. Tons of info on Audioholics on why it's important for a home theater, but definitely think about it. Get dual PB2000s, or look at cheaper or more value oriented options from HSU, Monoprice/Monolith, Rythmik, etc.
  • I like the idea of getting a cheaper Receiver and a really nice amp like a Monolith. I have a Denon X3700H and Monolith 3 for front LCR. Denon is good enough for the other speakers, but the Monolith does the heavy lifting of the majority of audio content.
  • Put aside $100 for a calibrated microphone and get ready to use the free software REW to set up and fine tune the system.

Edit: since I hinted at it, I went from an all Klipsch system idea to Revel Concerta2 for ground level, two Rythmik L12s for subs, cheap Klipsch R-1650-C in ceiling speakers for now, Denon X3700H, Monolith 3 amp, and LG CX 77". House should be done in a couple weeks where I'll also install the new turntable, etc with all this.

Last edited:
E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
One more suggestion. Rather than going with the SVS PB3000 for $1849. I would suggest getting two HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs.
Thanks for the suggestion. The idea was the get a 2nd SVS PB3000 as soon as the additional funds would be available likely within a year (notwithsanding further home renos).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Brand/ModelPriceQtyCost
Front Right Tower Speaker PairKlipsch RP-8000F$ 1,558.001$ 1,558.00
Center SpeakerKlipsch RP-504C/404C?$ 799.001$ 799.00
Cieling SpeakersKlipsch CDT-5800-C II$ 440.884$ 1,763.52
Boohshelf Speakers PairKlipsch RP-600M$ 849.002$ 1,698.00
SubwooferSVS PB3000$ 1,849.001$ 1,849.00
ProjectorJVC NX5$ 7,500.001$ 7,500.00
RecieverMarantz SR8012$ 3,999.001$ 3,999.0
Well, the JVC NX5 and Marantz SR8012 look impressive. But might as well get SR8015, instead of the SR8012.

Those Klipsch speakers look kind of underwhelming in comparison.

If you like Klipsch speakers, might look into their THX Ultra2 speakers and subwoofers. The frequency response of these speakers is incredible - like +/- 0.9dB. :D

Street prices are usually significantly lower than MSRP.

One other thing I would say - for a room that size, I would go with 5.2.4 and free up some funds.

Last edited:
E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Why Klipsch? For me, it was all I knew, but through learning/asking I was steered in a far better direction. If you tell us what's most important (looks, price, what will you use it for, what speakers do you like now, what kind of adjustments to bass/mid/high do you typically do, and so on) you can get real solid recommendations that maximize your system for your budget.
Reason I'm choosing Klipsh is that it was rated very highly by audioholics for a mid-range floor standing speaker. Review here: https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/klipsch-rp-8000f/conclusion
From reading both reviews of Klipsch RP-8000F and Paradigm Premier 800, seems the Klipsch outperformed and delivered a greater value for the cost. Another reason is that they are reasonably priced and there is availability of these speakers from Canadian retailers. Since I mostly watch movies in Imax theaters, that is the only reference I have of what sound should be like when watching movies. My viewing in my HT is as follows:
  1. Movies - 80%
  2. TV shows - 10%
  3. Sports - 5% (only playoff finals)
  4. Games - 5% (don't want to waste the bulb, and will game on my LG C9 instead)

Consider shifting money from expensive in-ceiling speakers to other more important components. Content uses height far less than the ground level speakers. Bump up to the ~$1000/ea range for front L&R towers, and a better center channel to match.
What do you recommend for speaker setup that fits the budget of about $6k CDN or $4.5k USD? Why did you switch to Revel Concerta2? Which Klipsch where you planning to get in the first place?

Go dual subwoofers. Tons of info on Audioholics on why it's important for a home theater, but definitely think about it. Get dual PB2000s, or look at cheaper or more value oriented options from HSU, Monoprice/Monolith, Rythmik, etc.
Will definitely go dual and also look at the PB2000, was thinking of just waiting on a 2nd PB3000 though when funds would be available.

Put aside $100 for a calibrated microphone and get ready to use the free software REW to set up and fine tune the system.
I'll definitely do this

Thanks for all the tips, this really helps.

diskreet

diskreet

Audioholic
What do you recommend for speaker setup that fits the budget of about $6k CDN or $4.5k USD? Why did you switch to Revel Concerta2? Which Klipsch where you planning to get in the first place?
I'll be honest I'm too much of a noob myself so I don't want to give bad recommendations. I was hoping to ask the right questions for someone more experienced than me to help you, and I think what you shared is very helpful.

I went with the Concerta2 series because they offer excellent performance for the price (won multiple product of the year awards from Audioholics, measure extremely well), and the gloss white will look perfect in our room. I thought about the Paradigms too, but the Revels look better and these two reviews sold me on them (I have F36 fronts and M16 surrounds):

Hoping you get some strong recommendations, but with your budget you have so many good options it would probably be hard to get something truly bad. With some time and research you might get a better fit than the original list.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the JVC NX5 and Marantz SR8012 look impressive. But might as well get SR8015, instead of the SR8012.

Those Klipsch speakers look kind of underwhelming in comparison.

If you like Klipsch speakers, might look into their THX Ultra2 speakers and subwoofers. The frequency response of these speakers is incredible - like +/- 0.9dB. :D

Street prices are usually significantly lower than MSRP.

One other thing I would say - for a room that size, I would go with 5.2.4 and free up some funds.
That's a review from 2004, those still available?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That's a review from 2004, those still available?
They are still listed as available for me as a dealer.

If I were a Klipsch dealer a few years ago, I probably would have gotten those THX speakers along with Salon2, 802D, and all those speakers. But those wild and crazy days are behind me. :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They are still listed as available for me as a dealer.

If I were a Klipsch dealer a few years ago, I probably would have gotten those THX speakers along with Salon2, 802D, and all those speakers. But those wild and crazy days are behind me. :D
Interesting, thought they'd be long gone as I've not seen mention of those models in a long while as new gear. Does look like an interesting system altho I'd get a different sub...

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't buy those Klipsch speakers without listening to them first. I listened to a number of speakers that were recommended and reviewed well here(KEF, Paradigm, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, etc.), and the Klipsch were my least favorite. Out of store available speakers that I listened to, the Paradigm Premiers were my favorite. If you do listen to the Klipsch and like them, the good news is that you'd be fine driving them from just the receiver, they're pretty sensitive. That would free up the money to get you a second sub right off the bat. I also think you'd be just fine with a receiver and the Paradigms and that would still leave you room for a second PB3000.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Interesting, thought they'd be long gone as I've not seen mention of those models in a long while as new gear. Does look like an interesting system altho I'd get a different sub...
By the way, I just check the availability of those 650-THX speakers. They are in fact available. Man, if I were in that crazy mode I was in back then, I would be ordering them right now. SUBMIT! :D

As for the THX-1200-SW 12" sub, I like it for several reasons.

1. It's THX Ultra2 certified, so we know it can output to THX Reference level. That's what most people want - for their speakers and subs to play at THX Reference level. 130dB @ 30Hz, 122dB @ 20Hz, 112dB @ 15Hz.

2. They are PASSIVE! Yes! Probably 99% of people have only known powered subs with little plate amps. But I believe passive subs are more reliable. And if the amp ever fails, you can easily replace it with any amp. I know a few guys with multiple $2,000+ subs that have failed amps and drivers. They are just a pain in the a$$ to replace for most people - if those plate amps are still available. So hells yeah, I have converted these guys to 100% Passive subs with external amps! ;)

3. When possible, I prefer to match all my speakers and subs. So if I wanted a Klipsch THX Ultra2 system, I would want all my speakers and subs to be Klipsch THX Ultra2. :D

Last edited:
E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
I listened to a number of speakers that were recommended and reviewed well here(KEF, Paradigm, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, etc.)
This is good advice and I have been thinking about doing this given everyone has differenct preferences regardless of spec. sheets and measurements.

When you went for the demo of these speakers did you ask for a specific setup such as turning off all EQ, Audyssey settings or just listening to LFR without the sub?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis