Very new to HT, putting a setup together in a dedicated room

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Refurb Denon 4500 - $1100
I'm out of luck with accessoriesforless.com, they don't ship outside of US, I just called to find out. I guess I have to find another refurb supplier possibly local to Canada, market is soo small here.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
This is good advice and I have been thinking about doing this given everyone has differenct preferences regardless of spec. sheets and measurements.

When you went for the demo of these speakers did you ask for a specific setup such as turning off all EQ, Audyssey settings or just listening to LFR without the sub?
I do agree with going to demo speakers but here's the problem you are at the mercy of the room that the speakers are set up in you are at the mercy of the Acoustics that are different from your room Acoustics so what you here at the store might not be exactly what you hear in your house.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
This is good advice and I have been thinking about doing this given everyone has differenct preferences regardless of spec. sheets and measurements.

When you went for the demo of these speakers did you ask for a specific setup such as turning off all EQ, Audyssey settings or just listening to LFR without the sub?
No EQ, just straight from preamp to amp to speakers, no subwoofer.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
I just got back from listening to Klipsch RP-8000F and Paradigm Premier 800F speakers. My demo was in the the same room, same AV and with only LCR, without any EQ. I watched Mad Max as test content and it was the first 5 mins. of the movie that had varied sound effects and great dialogue in the opening scene.

I noticed klipsch were able to fill the large room with sound at -23 db, I had to increase db to -20 for the Premier and it wasn't still as loud as the klipsch. Other then that I wasn't able to tell which of these 2 were better speakers. They both sounded good, but definitely not as good as an IMAX theater :D.

If I had to decide between the 2 I would get the Klipsch as the price was lower given all else seemed equal to me. I do wonder though if I would have to break out of this mid-range zone to get significantly better sound or if there is a mid-range priced speaker with much better sound out there?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I wasn't able to tell which of these 2 were better speakers.
That's surprising being they have totally different Tweeters. Plus the Paradigm center channel should be superior to the Klipsch. JMO

While you were there did you listen to The Prestige series?

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
That's surprising being they have totally different Tweeters
The Klipsch center was a 500cb and the Paradigm was a 500c. They didn't have any 504 or the 600c which are bigger centers.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The 600C is the center to have. Even if you have to run Phantom for a while to save for it.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The 600C is the center to have. Even if you have to run Phantom for a while to save for it.
The 600C is just the 500C with passive radiators. The 600C is certainly preferable if you are going to run the system without subwoofers. but it doesn't have much advantage where subwoofers are employed.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
The 600C is just the 500C with passive radiators
Thanks, almost thought that 2 hour driver back and forth for the demo was a waste but sounds like it was still a good comparison and my objective has been completed.

Now I just need to make a decision :confused:. I do have to say though the Klipsch look like a big aggressive muscle car where as the paradigms are more subtle and look like a honda accord.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The 600C is just the 500C with passive radiators. The 600C is certainly preferable if you are going to run the system without subwoofers. but it doesn't have much advantage where subwoofers are employed.
6 1/5" to 5 1/5" drivers. dialogue a little lower?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks, almost thought that 2 hour driver back and forth for the demo was a waste but sounds like it was still a good comparison and my objective has been completed.

Now I just need to make a decision :confused:. I do have to say though the Klipsch look like a big aggressive muscle car where as the paradigms are more subtle and look like a honda accord.
I would choose Paradigm over Klipsch based on center speaker designs alone. The Paradigm Premier 500C has been measured and shown to be an exceptional center speaker. The Klipsch center wouldn't be able to match it because of shortcomings in its fundamental design.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
6 1/5" to 5 1/5" drivers. dialogue a little lower?
Tom Hardy sounded really good on the Klipsch 500cb and I would go as far as saying that he sounded better then the Paradigm Premiere. He had this deeper meaty sound when he is doing his opening soliloquy on the klipsch.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
The Klipsch center wouldn't be able to match it because of shortcomings in its fundamental design.
Is this a statement for all their center channel speakers including the 504CB or 600CB?

How does the design translate into real world user experience. I always ask this questions to all my engineers I work with :D.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Is this a statement for all their center channel speakers including the 504CB or 600CB?

How does the design translate into real world user experience. I always ask this questions to all my engineers I work with :D.
The Klipsch speakers use what is called an 'MTM' design that could only have a good response at or near the on-axis angle. If you go just a little too far off the direction the speaker is aimed at, you start getting holes in the sound, the midrange will just fall out. This affects the on-axis listening angle too since much of what is heard is reflected sound. The Paradigm Premier centers, by virtue of their three-way design and chosen crossover points, do not suffer from this problem. The sound both on and off-axis is very good.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
The Klipsch speakers use what is called an 'MTM' design that could only have a good response at or near the on-axis angle.
Thanks, my demo was done 14' away on axis so this is a good point.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Ok, so here is the revised setup and I love the idea of buying a Canadian brand being a Canadian myself ;)!

Brand/ModelPriceQtyCost
Front Right Tower SpeakerParadigm Premier 800F Floor Standing Speakers - Pair$ 2,500.001$ 2,500.00
Center SpeakerParadigm Premier 600C Centre Channel Speaker$ 1,250.001$ 1,250.00
Cieling SpeakersKlipsch CDT-5800-C II$ 440.884$ 1,763.52
Rear SurroundsPremier 200B$ 599.002$ 1,198.00
Side SurroundsPremier 200B$ 599.002$ 1,198.00
SubwooferSVS PB3000$ 1,849.001$ 1,849.00
ProjectorJVC NX5$ 7,500.001$ 7,500.00
RecieverDenon AVR-X4500H$ 1,799.001$ 1,799.00
Seperate AmplifierMonolith by Monoprice 5x200/Marantz MM7055$ 2,025.001$ 2,025.00
Projector ScreenReference Studio 4K Slim Frame Screen 130"$ 1,500.001$ 1,500.00
Rack??? - Need max. 20" x 23" - is it possible??

I need advice on a good Atmos ceiling speaker and a rack with those dimensions in the table.

Also if I get white gloss speakers would that be too much reflection? My HT room is very dark gray walls and ceiling with a flat finish. I did do my trims in high white gloss though :D.

Attachments

Last edited:
mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I thought you said you like the Klipsch speakers better?

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
I thought you said you like the Klipsch speakers better?
They sounded almost the same but the klipsh did have a louder presence, although in interms of sound resolution both speakers where equal. Given I have not heard them off axis this gives me concern that others that are not in the money spot will not experience what I would experience. This is the reason why I'm now leaning towards Paradigm. Unfortunately I didn't scoot over a seat in that row to hear off-axis response from both speakers so I have to take the word of shady who actually reviewed the paradigm center speaker.

E

EscapeV3locity

Junior Audioholic
Hi All,

Thanks for guiding me to this point, I now need help in deciding on the Atmos in Wall ceiling speakers.

As you know I've decided to go with the Paradigm Premier setup for ground speakers.

The dealer I called recommended Pardigm CI Pro P80-R for the 4 ceiling speakers. However there are CI Pro P80-A, which are 30 degrees angled. Any recommendation if I should get the angled speakers? The front and back atmos speakers are 8' apart and from the sweet listening spot all 4 speakers are 7' apart.

The other option is to go with Klipsch CDT-5800-C II that has a tweeter which swivels while the woofer rotates 360° and pivots 15° in any direction.

Thanks

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Hi All,

Thanks for guiding me to this point, I now need help in deciding on the Atmos in Wall ceiling speakers.

As you know I've decided to go with the Paradigm Premier setup for ground speakers.

The dealer I called recommended Pardigm CI Pro P80-R for the 4 ceiling speakers. However there are CI Pro P80-A, which are 30 degrees angled. Any recommendation if I should get the angled speakers? The front and back atmos speakers are 8' apart and from the sweet listening spot all 4 speakers are 7' apart.

The other option is to go with Klipsch CDT-5800-C II that has a tweeter which swivels while the woofer rotates 360° and pivots 15° in any direction.

Thanks
Always try to keep all the speakers the same. I'd just go with what the dealer recommends. If you feel the P80-A's would work better, get those ones. I wouldn't mix speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis